Foamy "hot" water at Faucet - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 12:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Foamy "hot" water at Faucet

Just got done de-winterizing the Scamp. All's well, except that the "hot" water comes out all foamy.
After draining the RV Antifreeze, flushing the tanks and lines, and the 6 gallon H2O heater; then filling it with fresh water. As the hetaer tank filled, air them foam comes out of the faucet. All foam at first, but even after more purging, that side still has some bubbles in the water, whereas the cold side does not.
Anybody else have this "problem" ?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Just curious if it has any odor or smell to it, like maybe "soapy" or some other detectable odor? Probably it just needs multiple flushes to rinse it out. Just another reason I only drink bottled water when trailering, and never drink the tank water. It's OK to wash with, but I wouldn't drink it. Yuck!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Just curious if it has any odor or smell to it, like maybe "soapy" or some other detectable odor? Probably it just needs multiple flushes to rinse it out. Just another reason I only drink bottled water when trailering, and never drink the tank water. It's OK to wash with, but I wouldn't drink it. Yuck!
No smell, may be some lingering antifreeze.
the foaming seems to be there even after days of camping and connected to city water. So, I think it is something with the heater tank. I think the heater also serves as a pressure reservoir. There would be a volume of air trapped at the top.
The warm water outlet is not at the very top, but below the water level.
OR, could there be a problem with the aluminum causing a chemical reaction?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
I only drink bottled water when trailering, and never drink the tank water. It's OK to wash with, but I wouldn't drink it. Yuck!
How do you know where that bottled water came from? A lot of it comes out of municipal taps. Any idea how long it has been stored? Bacteria can grow in bottled water if it's kept too long.
Water in my fresh tank comes from home mostly and I do sanitize the tank from time to time.
As for the foaming action, I would just remove the anode and flush the tank. You can get a cheap Camco wand-like tool for that purpose. Replace the anode and open the pressure relief valve and fill via the city water connection. Water and air will spew out the relief valve. Let it spew for a couple minutes and you should be done.
First pic shows relief valve closed ( top centre ). Second shows relief valve open. You will get foaming water.
Attached Thumbnails
anode relief valve.jpg   anode relief valve open.jpg  

Old 05-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
How do you know where that bottled water came from? A lot of it comes out of municipal taps. Any idea how long it has been stored? Bacteria can grow in bottled water if it's kept too long.
Water in my fresh tank comes from home mostly and I do sanitize the tank from time to time.
As for the foaming action, I would just remove the anode and flush the tank. You can get a cheap Camco wand-like tool for that purpose. Replace the anode and open the pressure relief valve and fill via the city water connection. Water and air will spew out the relief valve. Let it spew for a couple minutes and you should be done.
First pic shows relief valve closed ( top centre ). Second shows relief valve open. You will get foaming water.
Having worked at both the Coke and Pepsi bottling plants in our area ,I can attest to the fact that a lot of the bottled water that is sold is nothing more than repackaged municipal tap water.
Bottled tap water was there highest profit margin product.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Just got done de-winterizing the Scamp. All's well, except that the "hot" water comes out all foamy.
After draining the RV Antifreeze, flushing the tanks and lines, and the 6 gallon H2O heater; then filling it with fresh water. As the hetaer tank filled, air them foam comes out of the faucet. All foam at first, but even after more purging, that side still has some bubbles in the water, whereas the cold side does not.
Anybody else have this "problem" ?
This happens to me every year. It has something to do with the non-toxic anti freeze helping to preserve the bubbles created by the aerator in your faucet. It is not a big deal, and it will gradually get better.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #7

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Did you let antifreeze go into the water heater? Sounds like you probably did. This is unnecessary and undesirable; one must use more antifreeze than necessary and the sweetness of the antifreeze tends to linger in the heater for a long time afterward. If you add a cutoff valve, you can isolate the water heater so nothing flows into it; all it needs is to be drained for winter, not filled with anything.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #8

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Mine does that and it just goes away. If you put some in a cup and let it set for a few minutes you will find that it is just plain water.
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote