Fold out expanding awnings anyone? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2016, 08:04 AM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Fold out expanding awnings anyone?

I am searching for an awning that will work with the curve of the Oxygen shell. Paul Neumeister remembers installing one on a Boler a few years ago that was permanently attached with into a fixed channel. The feature was that it also had wings that unfolded out of each side. This extended the awning width without the channel having to curve. It was made in western Canada. When closed it only extended 3-4 inches from trailer wall.
We need something that is an easy-out as we will be moving daily next summer, and little wind resistance when travelling.
I've tried a few google searches, but am not using the right phrases apparently.
thanks jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman and jean mulloy View Post
I am searching for an awning that will work with the curve of the Oxygen shell. Paul Neumeister remembers installing one on a Boler a few years ago that was permanently attached with into a fixed channel. The feature was that it also had wings that unfolded out of each side. This extended the awning width without the channel having to curve. It was made in western Canada. When closed it only extended 3-4 inches from trailer wall.
We need something that is an easy-out as we will be moving daily next summer, and little wind resistance when travelling.
I've tried a few google searches, but am not using the right phrases apparently.
thanks jean
try the keywords "bimini awning"
The place to find someone to custom fabricate such a product for you will be using the keywords "boat canvas". Most waterfront communities that have lots of pleasure boat marinas will have one or more companies dedicated to doing this type of work.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 09:20 AM   #3

side to side fold

Thanks for the link. I hadn't thought of boats. However the bimini ones seem to all attach from the sides and fold forward. I'm needing back attachment and folding out to side to expand the hitch to back bumper measurement of the awning.
Any other thoughts welcome too.
jean
Old 08-17-2016, 09:53 AM   #4

Name: Chickaboo
Trailer: Ventura 13ft
Manitoba
I don't have any suggestions for your, but am interested in a similar type awning for my 1979 Ventura.
chickaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:00 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/...rhino_main.htm
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #6

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
Shady Boy awning

You can try the search term "suspension awning". ShadyBoy is one that Happier Camper is using as an accessory. I don't know if it will handle the curve but it is in a short box that then expands out like a tent.
Jennifer
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #7

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp now used the Fiamma awning on their trailers. Its a case awning. My Scamp had older type of Catalina case awning Scamp used of years (on their online how to videos they show the old type they used in the past not the newer type) that I personally hated but the newer ones have the Fiamma that I personally have not used. Hopefully a member with a Fiamma awning will chime in.

A company called ZipDee makes an awning designed for Curved sided trailers (its what Airstreams use) that permanently attached to the awning rail & it is pretty easy to set up and take down.... easier than the old Catalina case awning on my Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Mine is the Horizon awning the predecessor to the Fiamma, the same awning just different fabric.

I worked on the Scamp factory for years trying to get them to change from the old Crappy Catalina to the Horizon/Fiamma case awning. I stopped by the Factory when traveling trough Minnesota and did a demontration of how easy the awning is to use. I also told them that mine had been on my 13 Scamp for some 7 1/2 years at that point with no problems. No cracks in the hull of the Scamp, they had been worried about the additional weight of the case awning. I also told them that Casita had been installing the Horizon/Fiamma for all the years I've known of the Casita trailer which went back to 2000 and at my first Scamp gathering Feb 2001 is when I first found out about the case awning. I immediately knew it was the awning for me. I desparately wanted an awning so it was shortly there after that I purchased and installed my awning. I love it --- love it --- love it, still going strong some 16 years later.
Attached Thumbnails
2010-9-29 Sunnyside Co Park site A34 Foster, OR.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have the old style Scamp awning. While I like having it, I do not put it out for one night, nor usually two, or even sometimes three nights. In other words, I need a good reason to put it out. If I had an easier to deploy and stow awning I might use it more though. What I really want is a CLAM or such to put over a table and to keep the bugs off. The larger CLAM would provide more room as well. While the CLAM is not cheap, it is cheaper than any of the trailer mounted awnings.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I forgot to reply about the 1 night at a time. While I don't travel 1 night at a time very often, I do put my awning in and out a lot. I don't generally stake it as it is so easy to crank in and out that if I think there is going to be a problem with wind at night I crank it in, nearly all the way but leave the legs down against the trailer. In the morning I quickly crank it out and put legs out and voila' a nice little room to sit in with breakfast.

I also don't leave it out when I'm away from the campsite unless I really know there will no problem with wind.

It takes just a minute to crank it in and out.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #11

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Our Casita came with the Fiamma awning. We also have the Clam Escape shelter. The awning makes a nice shaded patio, and the Claim is big enough to fit over a large picnic table and still has room to drag the bikes and the grill underneath for dry storage.

The Clam also keeps skeeters and even noseeums at bay - we live in S. Florida and camp in the summer, so you can imagine. The only drawback is that it blocks some of the breeze, but we have a fan to to deal with that We bought the rain panels for it but haven't used them yet.

Both the awning and Clam are super easy to set up. We always get people asking about the Clam after they see it pop up in two minutes or so.

We decided that since these are small trailers, you need all the living space you can get!
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We need to fix ours but the manufacturer of the awning it has roller with springs and arms says it has not been made for over 35 years go figure. Hope all works out for you on your awning
Old 08-18-2016, 12:55 AM   #13

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I'm sure Ian has a video of a fold out awning on his site somewhere... but I can't find it again. Maybe someone else will have better luck?

We really want an awning, but I don't want a "thing" hanging on the outside of the trailer. I think that leaves me with the option of a track or a pop up of some kind.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I can see the problem with the Oxygen, is the shape. It's truly different than any other all molded towable. You'd need a flexible awning rail to make the body curve and to have attachments at both ends.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM   #15

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
A Shady Boy awning might work. The case is pretty short and can be installed either flush or with brackets (which might accommodate the shell curvature). It folds out toward the front and back. Don't know about the appearance factor, though. The Oxygen has such a beautiful shape, and it might look tacked on...
http://www.shadyboy.com
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:45 AM   #16

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
we use a Dometic Cabana on our Casita. Kind of an add a room tent. They have be discontinued a few years ago but you may find a used one or check with an Rpod dealer. It slides into a normal awning rail.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0036 (Medium).JPG  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:52 AM   #17

Alberta
Registry
just found these guys, they seem to make awnings like the cabana
Paha Que Custom
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2016, 03:30 PM   #18

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
I searched for "Dometic Cabana" and found a few still being sold.

I wonder if this one would adapt to an egg? (It's advertised for a pop-up, but is supposed to slide into an awning rail...)

Dometic Cabana Awning for Pop-ups 7' - Dometic 747GRN07.000 - RV Patio Awnings - Camping World
Old 08-19-2016, 04:31 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
ouch! We got ours for about $150 on ebay when they were surplused off. I think ours was a 11' version
Old 09-03-2016, 08:43 PM   #20

following up

Thanks everyone. I've sent emails to Shadyboy and Pasa Q.
Donna is right the problem is that pretty curve. But looks aren't everything, function is helpful too.
Any more suggestions will be gratefully researched.
jean

Tags
awning