Food freezes in Dometic RM 2453 refrigerator. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Food freezes in Dometic RM 2453 refrigerator.

I have a 1999 Dometic RM 2453 refrigerator in my Casita, we we were camping last week and it got down to 52 degrees at night, I turned the frig. turned down to 4 and our water was froze in the morning. The next night it was 52 degrees also and I turned the frig. down to lowest setting and the water still froze and the eggs. During the day time I turn it up to 6 and the temp stays at 40 degrees. I can't go any lower unless I turn off the frig.
Have any ideas what I could do?

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:48 AM   #2

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I have a 1999 Dometic RM 2453 refrigerator in my Casita, we we were camping last week and it got down to 52 degrees at night, I turned the frig. turned down to 4 and our water was froze in the morning. The next night it was 52 degrees also and I turned the frig. down to lowest setting and the water still froze and the eggs. During the day time I turn it up to 6 and the temp stays at 40 degrees. I can't go any lower unless I turn off the frig.

You can move the thermistor to a different spot on the fins inside your refrigerator compartment. Basically, the closer it is to the wall of the fridge, and the closer it is to the ceiling of the fridge, the cooler your refrigerator will run. Just carefully pull the clip off the fin it's on, and move it a few fins toward the middle of the fridge, and slide it more towards the bottom of the fin. It may take some trial and error to get it the temp where you want it.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:58 AM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Our 98 17sd had a warped freezer door that was not sealing properly. This allowed the cold air from the freezer to flood the fidge portion freezing the stuff at the bottom. I pop riveted a piece of aluminum angle to the bottom of the door to straighten it. Also epoxied the hinge mounts as they were also breaking. Also check hinge springs as they may not be closing the door tightly
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0140 (Medium).JPG   IMG_0141 (Medium).JPG  

IMG_0142 (Medium).JPG  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I run into this from time to time especislly in the fall. I turn the fridge to the lowest setting. I put my salad stuff on the bottom. Add water bottles just before bed. If I know the tempersture will drop into the 30's or lower, I turn the fridge off.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
the crazy thing is, in Europe, Dometic includes a winter vent cover as well as the normal vent cover. It blocks off alot of the airflow
Attached Thumbnails
s-l1600 (1).jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have the same problem - I slide the thermostate thingy up on the rear fins closer to the freezer above it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post

I think your problem is because your turning it to a larger number, 4 & 6, and that's COLDER!
We have the same year and refrigerator and three is the normal setting that works for us most of the time and for most people.
When the ambint temperature goes down two and a half work well.

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #8

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have the same problem - I slide the thermostate thingy up on the rear fins closer to the freezer above it.
Slide it up and/or outwards towards the wall, you're setting your refrigerator to run colder. Slide it down, and more towards the interior of the fridge, you're setting it to run warmer.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:23 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
Slide it up and/or outwards towards the wall, you're setting your refrigerator to run colder. Slide it down, and more towards the interior of the fridge, you're setting it to run warmer.
Yes that is how it works to "adjust" the temp under normal use on some fridges.

But what I am suggesting is the thermometer thingy on the fins is what is determining the actual temp in the fridge. If the fridge is set low and still getting to cold the actual thermometer thingy that determines the temp needs to be moved to a colder location in the fridge . At least that is how it worked on my fridge. Other fridges may differ.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yes that is how it works to "adjust" the temp under normal use on some fridges.

But what I am suggesting is the thermometer thingy on the fins is what is determining the actual temp in the fridge. If the fridge is set low and still getting to cold the actual thermometer thingy that determines the temp needs to be moved to a colder location in the fridge . At least that is how it worked on my fridge. Other fridges may differ.
In your original statement it looks like you said that when your fridge freezes things (like the OP's fridge) that you move the thermister upwards and outwards. That position makes the fridge run colder, which is what you do not want if it's already freezing things in the lower compartment.

Just think of it in terms of compass directions. If you move northeast, you get colder. If you move southwest you get warmer.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:31 AM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
HELLO!

All you helpfull people out there suggesting the OP mess with a fragile part that may be broken need to go back and READ THE ORIGINAL POST.

Then read my reply in post #7.

Next read the manual
You'll find #1 is the warmest setting and #7 the coldest with #3 being average.
So yes the water will freeze at #4 and will freeze harder at 5 and 6!!!!!

Kevin is turning the dial the wrong way!!!

Since Kevin has not been back maybe he read my post.

I also have a 1999 17' Casita SD with a Dometic 2453 refrigerator.

Sorry to interrupt this lesson on how to destroy the temperature probe!

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
"I turn it up to 6 and the temp stays at 40 degrees. I can't go any lower unless I turn off the frig."

I should of said
I turn it up during the day to 6 and the temp stays at 40 degrees.
I can't go any lower than 1 at night unless I turn off the frig.

I will try moving the thermostat inside the frig. and see if that works.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:31 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talia View Post
In your original statement it looks like you said that when your fridge freezes things (like the OP's fridge) that you move the thermister upwards and outwards. That position makes the fridge run colder, which is what you do not want if it's already freezing things in the lower compartment.

Just think of it in terms of compass directions. If you move northeast, you get colder. If you move southwest you get warmer.
Sorry if I am not making my suggestion clear.

A lot depends on the fridge model & year it was made & what it has for a temp prob and actual fridge temp controls.

I know on my previous Dometic fridge you can ONLY move the actual thermistor (or temperature probe which ever you would like to call it) up or down on the fin - NO outwards or inward involved. The controls for the actual changing of the temperature of the fridge is on a completely separate knob or button - normally on the outside of the fridge. I believe (could be wrong) that is the case on the OP's model of fridge as well. Looking at the photos the temp prob appears to be up on the fin where it should be but its in between two fins? perhaps it needs to be moved to the outside of the far fin to allow for better air flow around it and avoid it being blocked by food or simple moved up on the fin a bit.

So again what I am suggesting is the OP move the actual temp prob that is taking a reading on the fridges temp to a colder location inside the fridge. If temp prob is sitting to low in the fridge or in a location where there is little air movement due to being blocked by food etc. it will think it needs to keep running the fridge to make it colder & every thing in the fridge below will freeze up, as it is doing. This is assuming the OP is in fact turning the separate temp control to the correct number to make it warmer.

If the temp prob inside the fridge to put in a bit colder location and where it has free air flow around it, when they turn the separate temp control down the fridge will get warmer (which is what they want to avoid food freezing in the lower part of the fridge).

Now if they have a newer fridge such as my current one with auto temp (nothing to turn or push to change the temp) thats a whole different story
Old 10-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
[SIZE="6"]

Joe

Sorry Joe but I think you need to give people here a little more credit as to their DIY abilities.

Yes one needs to be careful not to MAN handle the probe as the wires can snap off but the actual moving of the prob does not require an engineering degree as MANY here can attest.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #15

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post

Joe
It's called a thermistor.

Also, nice try at implying that people here are stupid, ham-handed idiots.

Tags
refrigerator