For those that have an outside "patio" rug - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #1

Trailer: 2008 16 ft Scamp
How do you deal with them if it's a messy/muddy/rainy weekend? How do you store it?
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500 (plus 2 Rhodesian Ridgebacks)
Registry
Quote:
How do you deal with them if it's a messy/muddy/rainy weekend? How do you store it?
Ours is bamboo with a rubber back. It has a very specific storage spot in the boler but if it has been rainy/wet then it gets rolled up into the TV. Luckily we tow with a pickup truck so not an issue really. If not, I would roll it into a tarp.
Carol Ann in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
How do you store it?
A friend of mine found a flat black canvas tote bag at a thrift store, it measures approximately 40" x 20" x 6" and has handles. It has a 60" zipper along 2 of the 6" edges, going around one corner. The mat folds into thirds to become 36" wide, then I fold it down to approximately 18" in the other direction. I have no worries about packing up the mat if it's messy since the tote bag keeps the crud off of other stuff. I have no clue what this tote was designed for, but it fits my mat perfectly.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
We've been using one of those green outdoor carpets, which we roll up and just shove into a big black garbage bag if its messy and hose it off on the driveway when we get home. It was pretty heavy when wet though.

We picked up a folding vinyl one from Walmart this year but haven't used it yet. It will probably go into a Black garbage bag too but at least will be a smaller package.

pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We have a small metal garbage can with a lid (just like the big, old-fashioned ones but about half as big) that we use for our outside trash. It doubles as storage for messy things, like the rug, when we're on the road.
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
We have a nylon duffle bag that our mat fits into for travel, once it's been folded and/or rolled up. Even if it's not a muddy mess when time to break camp, the mat's always a bit dirty - and with the duffle I don't feel I need to worry too much about it getting "sand" everywhere.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Rubbermaid plastic storage containers and clean it when we get home
Old 06-06-2009, 07:21 PM   #8

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
We use a plastic tarp. We wash it before we pack it up. It gets rolled up wet and when we return home it gets washed and hung out to dry. When dry it gets re-rolled and pack away.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I have a step that I made. It has a hinged lid. Normally the green fake green mat, hammer, mat nails, kneeling pad and other assorted awning/mat things reside in it. It's the first thing in/out of the trailer as it sits in the entry way of the trailer. However, when the mat is wet it doesn't get stored in the step, rather it goes in a black plastic garbage bag and into the Jeep. At the first opportunity to spread it out and dry it on a camp table, I do so. Then back in the step it goes until needed once again.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We use 16 small yoga pads/mats that fit together like a square jigsaw puzzle. They are black, about 1/2 inch thick, and about 2' by 2' each. We use the right number depending on the spot we need to cover. When they are wet or dirty, we knock them off as we disassemble, and then put them all in an extra large black garbage bag. It has worked well for us for a couple years now. Oh, we also put out a nice roll-up rug made out of recycled plastic milk jugs to add some color (it's various shades of orange and reds). We leave the rug under the bed if it's going to get dirty. (Just to be fair - I used the word "we", but it's actually my wife who does all of this with the mats. I'm usually busy either setting up or taking down the rest of the trailer stuff.)
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

Ours is a poly woven reversible mat, It can't get wet.
We just flip it over onto the pic-nic table or the trailer tongue knock off any debris and fold it up and put it away.
Our Escape does have carpet protection in the back, and of course the back of the Ranger doesn't mind a little debris.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 AM   #12

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I picked up a canvas bag made specifically for mats in Quartzite at one of the zillion awning mat vendors there. Works pretty slick and I also stow my legs for my rock guard mounted solar panel in there.

I would imagine an old golf club bag would work as well.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Ours lives and travels strapped on the tongue over the battery box.