Ford v6 loss of power - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2024, 11:10 AM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Ford v6 loss of power

I know several of us own older Fords with the V6 engines, mine is a 2016 F150 but this applies to a couple of years and several models. If you experience loss of power, and the engine is at a rough idle and there is no throttle response do not panic like I did. Just shut the engine off, restart it and go on with your trip keeping an eye out for Ford dealers.
My story is in this video.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 11:54 AM   #2

Name: Glenn
Trailer: Escape 19
Ohio
This happened to me three times with my 2013 F150. First time towing on the West Virgina turnpike, second when my son and his wife had the truck and trailer near Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah, which was a nightmare for them. Finally again at home.

The last time I replaced it myself. Turns out replacing the throttle valve body is pretty easy. Seems to me I paid about $100 at O'Riley's. If I stll had the truck I would carry a spare with me while traveling. Somewhere on YouTube is a pretty good video on how to replace it.

Good reminder! This is one of those issues that Ford just kind of refused to deal with. I hope your problems are gone for good.

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2024, 01:44 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
I was going to carry a spare...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
This happened to me three times with my 2013 F150. First time towing on the West Virgina turnpike, second when my son and his wife had the truck and trailer near Kodachrome Basin State Park in Utah, which was a nightmare for them. Finally again at home.

The last time I replaced it myself. Turns out replacing the throttle valve body is pretty easy. Seems to me I paid about $100 at O'Riley's. If I stll had the truck I would carry a spare with me while traveling. Somewhere on YouTube is a pretty good video on how to replace it. And just a side bar; I had been in Ohio at the highway forty museum just three weeks before this happened in Indiana.

Good reminder! This is one of those issues that Ford just kind of refused to deal with. I hope your problems are gone for good.
Glenn
and change it if it happened again. After some thought I decided I did not want to be doing it on a hot engine in heavy traffic. I did clean up the old one and have it in the truck.
K
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 10:09 AM   #4

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
I recently heard that the new Fords have heated rear bumpers.....designed to keep your hands warm when pushing them in winter.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2024, 12:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrybob View Post
I recently heard that the new Fords have heated rear bumpers.....designed to keep your hands warm when pushing them in winter.
I've always loved your tongue-in-cheek sense of humor jerrybob. Good one!
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote