Formica backsplash over Scamp rat fur? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2013, 07:27 AM   #21

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Joy, did you have to remove the trim piece around the window where the screws or rivets go through to put the vinyl piece inplace, or did you just cut the whole exactly the size of the window trim piece and slide it over it?

thanks

deryk
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Deryk,

I just cut the hole the right size and slipped it over. It was tough going with a utility knife and making it a perfect size. It's been some 11 years ago but I think I might have made a template first out of card board or 1/8" plywood. That's what I generally do with on a project that needs precise measurements.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #23

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks, yeah I have ratfur behind my stove..why they do that and not cover it is beyond me lol... but we are here to make improvements lol

deryk
Old 01-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Deryk for whats its worth on my Scamp it has Formica over the rat fur in the bathroom - but they have put the Formica behind the window trim piece.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
I used some thick fairly clear shelf liner material I got at IKEA. I used velcro between. I do not like the Velcro showing through, but I do like protection from water over the sink and stuff from behind the stove. If I used the trailer much I am sure I would make some small change. Wish I had known when I ordered the Scamp I could have requested fiberglass in that area.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #26

Yeap Nancy it would be nice if the factory would add all those little touches they do for people to their list of options. You know when you are new to having an RV you simply don't know enough to ask the right questions.

I, for one, would have had them install linoleum flooring if I had known enough to ask for it. As it turned out it was a simple job to remove the carpet from the main walking area and replace it with linoleum. Since I had the carpeting to start with I know I won't be wanting for it as I might have, had I not had it to begin with.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
The PO of my casita bought a 2x4 ft piece of stamped tin ceiling tile; it is thin enough and flexible to slip between the rat fur and countertop. Secured at the top with from the outside with a few small bolts that use stainless cap nuts on the inside. Comes in many designs, even Home Depot carries it

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks to everyone for your tips. I think I just need to pick a material and go for it. I am wondering if we all agree that this would be an improvement that would HELP resale. What I mean is that I am always hesitant to do anything that isn't stock for fear that if we want to sell it some time in future folks won't like our taste. Do you think this is one of those things or should we just do it?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Thanks to everyone for your tips. I think I just need to pick a material and go for it. I am wondering if we all agree that this would be an improvement that would HELP resale. What I mean is that I am always hesitant to do anything that isn't stock for fear that if we want to sell it some time in future folks won't like our taste. Do you think this is one of those things or should we just do it?
I try to make my mods reversible, so that if a future owner wants it the old way they can do it, or I can reverse it for them at sale. Maybe you can install a backsplash that is held in place with Velcro so it can be easily removed at a later date.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #30

Registry
Thanks, Tom. I had thought about velcro. Do you know if the "hook" side would hold well to the fur? Ialso wonder if it would start to pull the fur apart. I might try some in a hidden spot. Great idea!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #31

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks, Tom. I had thought about velcro. Do you know if the "hook" side would hold well to the fur? Ialso wonder if it would start to pull the fur apart. I might try some in a hidden spot. Great idea!
No first hand experience (UHaul owner), but my guess is that it would hold OK. If you took it on and off repeatedly it might pull out the fur. Maybe someone else can speak with more authority.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #32
Commercial Member

Oregon
Here's what the stamped tin ceiling tile I mentioned looks like. Rat fur behind it is well protected.

Charlie Y
Attached Thumbnails
Galley OH Cab.jpg  

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #33

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
I like the tin Ceiling tile very much, it looks good, light weight and serves the purpose well. Good Job!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:48 PM   #34

Quote:
I can take my back splash out and no one will be the wiser as it's simply fitted over the window and behind the cabinets. Much less intrusive than other modifications I've made.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Old 01-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #35

New Jersey
Registry
I might email Chandler, but if the screws that hold my window frame together are on the inside, couldn't I just remove them, pop out the frame cut the vinyl to fit perfect, put the frame and screws back together... doesn't seem too complex?

thanks

deryk
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #36

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You may not need any backer since you have reflextix and ratfur as a a cushion. I fact you may not even neesd to remove any screws around the window.
Luan would be a good backer, although the additional thickness could add a little challenge. They do make sheets of 1/8" fiberglass which are tougher than elephant butter. I replaced a plastic slide on the the neighbor's gymset with it so it aught to make a strong backer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #37
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
You may not need any backer since you have reflextix and ratfur as a a cushion. I fact you may not even neesd to remove any screws around the window.
Luan would be a good backer, although the additional thickness could add a little challenge. They do make sheets of 1/8" fiberglass which are tougher than elephant butter. I replaced a plastic slide on the the neighbor's gymset with it so it aught to make a strong backer.
I use thin ABS plastic for a lot of things; easily drilled and cuts with a hacksaw blade. A 2x4 ft sheet is only 7 pounds. You can soften it with a regular hair dryer to form into a slight curve while installing. Here's one source:

GRAINGER APPROVED VENDOR Sheet, ABS, Blk, 1/16 In T, 24x48 In - Plastic Sheets, Film, and Flat Stock - 1ZBT3|1ZBT3 - Grainger Industrial Supply

Charlie Y

Old 01-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #38

Registry
I love the idea of just sliding some plastic or 'glass behin the window and cabinet but without the flexibility of vinyl, it may not work. Still, I want to give it a try. For that matter, maybe a piece of magnetic metal and I could do the entire backsplash. I may also pick up some velcro from work to try. Thanks for the freat ideas, everyone! I wish Scamp would just cover the fur there but then we wouldn't get the creative solutions we've seen here, right?

If you do something soon, please post your results.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #39

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Anything, absolutely anything over the top of the rat fur will protect it. It really depends on asthetics and what works for you.

How about this: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ets-53068.html

Or: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ash-36528.html

or... check out the interiors! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ors-25341.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: 13 foot 1992 SCAMP
Arizona
Got This from the Home Depot
Attached Thumbnails
image-3253347486.jpg   image-751913853.jpg  

GROVER 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp