four season, how to tell? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
four season, how to tell?

Hi all, new to site but been reading or lurking here for about a year, awsome info!
I picked up a BF 1998 21 ft rb last winter and was told it was a four season model so I was wondering how do I know that it actually is?
Im hoping someone here can set straight.
Thanks
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Bigfoot has about the only true 4 season FG trailer out there. Their holding tanks are inside, and the shell is a double layer of fiberglass with insulation in between. A really good unit, but much heavier than others of the same size.

I think all the 21 and 25 foot models were of this construction.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You may wish to ask the question at the Bigfoot Owners Club International forum as what was/is standard vs optional on the Bigfoots over the years. For example items such as thermal Pane windows and enclosed heated tanks which are needed for 4 season camping are currently standard features of the trailer but I have no idea what year they became standard.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #4

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
I've used my Scamp in temperatures down to 10 below zero. A 1500 watt electric heater will provide most of the heat needed, but the furnace will kick on every now and then to keep things cozy. The big problem is keeping your water system from freezing up. The lines to the bathroom froze up and we were not able to flush the toilet until they thawed later in the day. An even bigger problem is dumping the waste holding tanks. I found a dump station, but when I got everything hooked up, the dump valve would not open. This was resolved a day or two later when temperatures made it above freezing.

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Trailer: Currently Shopping
Texas
To determine if your Bigfoot is a 4-Season model, look at the window glass. If it is double pane it is a 4-Season model.
thombiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:14 AM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Bigfoot has about the only true 4 season FG trailer out there. Their holding tanks are inside, and the shell is a double layer of fiberglass with insulation in between. A really good unit, but much heavier than others of the same size.

I think all the 21 and 25 foot models were of this construction.
A standard Oliver Legacy Elite II 23.5 foot has all of its plumbing, valves, holding tanks and water lines as well as the furnace and water heater contained between the two hullls. Nothing is exposed to the elements. Ambient heat from the furnace and water heater is sufficient to easily keep everything between hulls at above freezing temps. There is insulation on the inside of both of the hulls. The windows are all double pane. These units pass all the criteria for 4 season use.

Even our former 17 foot Oliver, with not nearly the insulation of the newer units, did not freeze up and kept us comfortable in temps down to the lower 20's on a blustery, snowy, freezing night on the Colorado/Kansas border with nothing more than the heat strips in the A/C for warmth.
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #7

Trailer: bigfoot
British Columbia
Awsome, thanks everyone for the info.
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #8

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Very Very easy 2500 models are all 4 season also like someone said if it has dual pain windows, all 21 ft and 25 ft are 4 season. My 1987 17 was not but when they switched to the 17.5 I think they were. Best way is I think by the windows..
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Don't believe everything you read on the WWW. What can I say, I own a custom ETI build with dual pane windows and extra insulation. Four season? Depends on how HOT or COLD you THINK it should be able to handle.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 AM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting thread going here, beauty and best is in the eye of the beholder. There is no overall Cadillac, a lot of Yugo's are someones Cadillac and will argue it's vertues all day. As far as four season camping comfort in any trailer it can only be based on how you deal with hot or cold weather. In as much as how cold/hot you want to camp in. Seems some trailers are designed, built and advertised as four season units with tanks and hoses enclosed....as to which is best or really four seasons, personal choice to what degree of hot and cold you want to deal with. Read many posts of others camping in negative temps without problems with basic units. Never heard of any third party comparing/testing of cold weather preformance. Would be interesting to see how they fair under controlled tests though. The other part of this thread and older posts that make me chuckle is the misconception of some to what designates a molded and stick built trailer, no matter who's name is on it. If it won't support itself with a fiberglass shell alone it's sticky construction.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot