Free Power Converter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 11:32 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Free Power Converter

Yesterday a friend gave me a 40 amp B-W Power Converter, with battery charger, that he had acquired during a trade.

It looks older than dirt, but he says he tested it and it works. Of course, I will be testing it later today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp Power Converter.jpg Views: 24 Size: 215.5 KB ID: 90366" style="margin: 2px" />

Click image for larger version

Name:	<a title=Scamp Power Converter front open.jpg Views: 21 Size: 193.3 KB ID: 90367" style="margin: 2px" />

As you can see there is no 12-volt fuses or a 120 volt breaker. There is a large fuse inside the cabinet of the Converter.

The three wires on the right are...Blue-!2V postive for 12-volt use. Red wire to battery positive, White wire to ground.

Does anyone have any experience with one of these Converters? What I'd like to know whether or not it would be worth the loss of storage space?

All comments will be welcome....

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:48 AM   #2

Oklahoma
Registry
Well, I guess no one here has owned a B-W Power Converter!

I guess I'll stick it under the curb side dinette seat and see what happens!

Thanks anyway....

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 08:58 AM   #3

Name: Carrie
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
This was in our '93 Scamp when we bought it-we haven't looked at it too much. I was wondering if we should keep it or not.
Attached Thumbnails
913FD949-1E49-4537-80BE-E3F0E0E61D54_zps2ywwgnkw.jpg  
CarrieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #4

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieR View Post
This was in our '93 Scamp when we bought it-we haven't looked at it too much. I was wondering if we should keep it or not.
CarrieR, Today I was able to find a Owners Manual for the 3200 series Power Converters. The units are actually made by Parallax Power Components LLC.

The 3220 converter is a 20 amp unit, and has a relay that will automatic switch 12 volts to lights, etc.

It may have the "C" option that will sense and maintain the battery charge, and go to a low maintenance charge when the battery is fully charged.

I am going to install my 3240 unit and hope that everything works!

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #5

Oklahoma
Registry
Link to Owners Manual:

https://d163axztg8am2h.cloudfront.ne...549dd4fa19.pdf

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Maybe the Smithsonian would want it...
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Keep it if you like mostly worthless antiques. If not give to some tinkerer for parts. I wouldn't want to rely on this thing.
There you have my 2 cents worth.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:07 PM   #8

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Maybe the Smithsonian would want it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Keep it if you like mostly worthless antiques. If not give to some tinkerer for parts. I wouldn't want to rely on this thing.
There you have my 2 cents worth.
Well, I did ask for any and all comments, didn't I?

Thanks for your comments....

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 05:28 PM   #9

Massachusetts
I just told my husband we need a new power converter and he said he'll go to Tashi station...

But seriously, I've read enough old posts to understand what a converter does, and I'm wondering if we even need one? I suspect we won't plug in much, but if we did do you have to have a converter? Or can you plug in for the 110V side and use the battery for the 12V stuff at the same time?

Also, the only appliance we would ever consider using is a toaster. We'll be on the road for 6-8 weeks next summer and I'd love to have toast. Would an inverter work for that or would it take too much battery power?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #10

Oklahoma
Registry
Carrie, more knowledge people will hopefully answer your questions.

However, here is what I believe: If the Power Converter was installed in you scamp...then you have 120 volt power in your trailer, and should be able to plug your toaster into any 120 v outlet, and have all the toast you desire.

I don't believe You need a inverter or a new Power converter to make toast!

In my humble opinion, an old or new Power converter only purpose is to provide 12-volts to 12-volt appliances, such as lights, and keep the RV's battery charged. Some new ones do provide breakers for the 120 volt lines, and a breaker or fuse panel for the 12-volts.

If you are worried about your older Power Converter, then just unplug the power cord. At the most your RV battery will need to be charged by your auto or a outside battery charger.

Bill
Old 11-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #11

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
I just told my husband we need a new power converter and he said he'll go to Tashi station...

But seriously, I've read enough old posts to understand what a converter does, and I'm wondering if we even need one? I suspect we won't plug in much, but if we did do you have to have a converter? Or can you plug in for the 110V side and use the battery for the 12V stuff at the same time?

Also, the only appliance we would ever consider using is a toaster. We'll be on the road for 6-8 weeks next summer and I'd love to have toast. Would an inverter work for that or would it take too much battery power?
A converter and an inverter perform 2 different functions. An inverter in your trailer would "invert" 12 volt DC current to 120 volt AC so, yes it would work for a toaster but it would take a considerable amount of battery power. If I had to have toast, I would get a generator.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #12

Massachusetts
I think we'll save the toast for a special treat when we're plugged in, and then we won't need any inverter. But you all think I should ditch the ancient converter?
Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #13

Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
I think we'll save the toast for a special treat when we're plugged in, and then we won't need any inverter. But you all think I should ditch the ancient converter?
Well Carrie, being ancient myself...I get nervous when people start talking about discarding ancient items!

If the converter is still installed in the trailer, I suggest you get someone to test whether or not the battery charger will actually drop the charging output to maintain the battery, and not overcharge and damage the battery. If the maintenance charging feature is not working, then I'd discard the converter. Otherwise i'd leave it alone and forget it!

If the converter is not installed, then I'd discard it.

Ancient Bill
Old 11-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I'm never plugged in except when the trailer is at home in it's nest. There I use a Battery Tender to keep the battery charged. The charge line from the tow keeps the battery charged while traveling. If I'm in one place more than a week, a solar panel recharges the battery.

It's a good idea to be plugged in when you use any device that has an electrical heating element, such as toasters, coffee makers, etc. They'll drain a battery quite rapidly.

Rather than spend money on a converter, I would suggest you spend it on replacing the interior 12 Volt lights with LEDs.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
.......Also, the only appliance we would ever consider using is a toaster. We'll be on the road for 6-8 weeks next summer and I'd love to have toast.......
I use a stove top toaster with my propane cooktop. I bought it for a few bucks at Walmart. Look in the camping section. Raz

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Folding-Ca...Boxed/33697733
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:58 PM   #16

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
I "converted"...

"But seriously, I've read enough old posts to understand what a converter does, and I'm wondering if we even need one? I suspect we won't plug in much, but if we did do you have to have a converter? Or can you plug in for the 110V side and use the battery for the 12V stuff at the same time?"

It's all very possible....I got rid of my converter two years ago (kept the breaker panel and fuse panel)...bought a good three stage charger....when I plug in the charger comes on....all twelve volt power comes from the batteries all the time...(no power from the TV)....seems to work just fine

(the fan on the charger was a little noisy so I swapped it out for a quiet computer fan and enlarged the vent openeings)

as somebody said a stove top toaster works just fine...and takes up less space... getting rid of the converter "created" new usable space....my new charger weighs less than half what the converter did.....and that is what IT is all about ain't it.....space and weight
Attached Thumbnails
elecr9.jpg   elecr8.jpg  

elecr7detail.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote