Fresh water pump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Fresh water pump

I just de-winterized the trailer flushed all the lines filled the fresh water tank but cannot get the pump to pump, it runs but does not pump just as though it isnt getting water, but the tank is full. Is there a shut off valve between the pump and tank? I cant find one. any help or ideas. Thanks.

1998 casita 17' sd

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2003, 05:00 PM   #2

Water Pump

Is the water heater filled yet? 6 gallons would be a significant part of your tank's fresh water capacity. It might take a minute of constant running to fill it. Water out of the taps might suffer some before the tank fills. Assuming the by pass valve is diverting water into the hot water heater.

No shut off valve on mine between tank, pump or taps.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:13 PM   #3

Yes Steve i hooked up city water to fill the hw heater and all lines. When city water has pressure on system the pump shuts off, but when city water is disconnected the pumps runs but no water.

Old 03-07-2003, 05:36 PM   #4

Pump's Out?

In my boat I made the mistake of running the water pump when there was still slush in it. It tore all the impellers off. I don't think the Surflo's have impellers, but its beginning to make me suspicious of the water pump. On my Casita the city water has to go by the spur where the water pump taps in so blockage doesn't seem likely.

You've already checked my only idea. Good luck. Hope someone with more experience than I have checks in.

Old 03-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #5

Air Bubble

I wonder if you have an air bubble in the water line going to or coming from the water pump.

To test for this possibility, pull the outlet line to the pump, and turn it on. Be ready for water :violin. When you put it all together again, it should work.

-- Dan Meyer
http://scamp.n0kfb.org/

Old 03-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #6

How do you acess the pump? I have located it but it is under the bench seat.

Old 03-07-2003, 09:22 PM   #7

Pump Access

In my Scamp 16, the pump is located under the door side rear-dinette bench. Pull out the wood cover, and then remove the screws over the protective cover for the pump.

In a Casita, you may need to remove the bench. I can't imagine that this should be a difficult job; it would be relatively easy in my Scamp.

-- Dan Meyer

Old 03-08-2003, 08:32 AM   #8

Dan's right ... it sounds like you have an air bubble in the line .. which is preventing the water pump from priming itself.

It's simple to remove the benches ... but you'll need a "square drive" screwdriver.

Remove the bench by first removing the rear kick plate between the two benches, then unscrew the screws along the bottom of the bench, and along the top edge near the wall.

Loosen (don't remove) the discharge fitting (right side) ... be prepared to quickly tighten it when water starts flowing.

You may have to loosen the intake side also, but first try the discharge fitting.

Old 03-09-2003, 03:36 PM   #9

I finally got a chance to work on it again and Charles you were right it had air in the suction line, loosened it and it primed up. Thanks . I was wondering if this is going to happen every time the tank runs empty?? If it does i think a little access door in front of the pump would a mod. that i would add. Thanks again. :reye2

Old 03-09-2003, 07:31 PM   #10

I can't imagine that ever happening again. I had one that I emptied every year for the last 10, and it never air locked. when filling hot water tank I had to open something either a faucet or the pressure release valve on the tank to get water in it, but air has to go somewhere. all air came out before the water, so your problem is still baffling me.. :) baffle :lol.

Old 03-10-2003, 06:51 AM   #11

>>happen every time the tank runs empty

No, but it does happen.

However, the only problem worth worrying about is the problem you don't know how to fix ... and well, now you know how to fix this one!

Glad you're up and running!