Fridge and Wind - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Fridge and Wind

We're parked at Lake Mead, $5 a night, no hookups. Yesterday was windy gusts to 45 and our fridge wouldn't stay lit. Around midnight it died down and the fridge then stayed lit.

Is there a normal solution for this?

Today it's running fine.

I know I'm not the only one with the problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
The wind was blowing out the flame. When I was a kid we had a Skamper and could never keep the fridge running going down the road, it was the wind blowing out the flame while moving. You can probably block off part of the vent panel in windy conditions.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Florida
I tried blocking the inlet but it didn't do any good, a prettty strong wind. We've never tried ours while driving but it m ust be the same problem.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
If it is a Dometic, depending on the version of lower air vent door you have on the outside of your trailer, they have a free kit that helps keep the flame on while driving. Call their tech support, tell them it blows out, & they will send you one. Didn't work for me because Escape uses a different door - If you don't have any luck with Dometic, let me know; mine is available for the shipping. (Although you need to let me know soon - I'm heading out for 5 months next week!)

There are photos of the installation of the kit here.

I solved the problem with mine by adding a furnace filter on the inside of the lower door.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #5

Florida
Thanks

Jon,

We're going to be on the road also for the next 7 months so shipping would be too complex however, the filter idea is a good one and I'll give it a try. Thank you.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Yesterday was windy gusts to 45 and our fridge wouldn't stay lit. Around midnight it died down and the fridge then stayed lit.

Is there a normal solution for this?
My 34 year old "Instamatic" (by Magnavox) fridge has a lot of shielding in the back. In the Lower Right corner is the flap that pivots to expose (or cover) the pilot light. I've never had my flame go out in wind.
Click image for larger version

Name:	shield installed.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	44731

My fridge's controls are inside the fridge compartment. The peizio lighter in the left corner is pressed, while the identical knob near the center is pulled, to light the fridge. A tiny square window next to the lighter knob in the corner lets you see the flame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	fridge open.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	44732 Click image for larger version

Name:	control knobs.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	44733
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #7

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
Remarkable how close your Instamatic is in appearance to my Dometic, Frederick. I have similar sheilding and have been very pleased that it has never gone out while driving. Incessant winds in my region as well. Lucky me.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jon,

We're going to be on the road also for the next 7 months so shipping would be too complex however, the filter idea is a good one and I'll give it a try. Thank you.
Hi,
When my Dometic fridge was blowing out on the road while driving, it turned out to be the upper vent that was letting in the wind and blowing the flame out from the top of the chimney down. I found this out by using a leaf blower while the trailer was parked to blow wind into the lower and upper vents in turn. I solved the problem by blocking the path to the chimney top so the wind could not reach it directly (but the exhaust could still escape). Perhaps your issue is in the upper vent? Regrettably, I had to remove the fridge from the trailer to install a deflector up there.

Rick G.
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #9

Florida
Rick G.

I placed a furnace filter on the inside of the vent and it did not seem to resolve the issue however when I placed a piece of the filter in front of the outside of the exhaust it did seem to resolve the issue though I did not remove the lower piece. Maybe it takes both.

Next time it gets windy I'll be a little more scientific. I do not drive with the fridge on because we never drive more than four hours in a stretch.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
fridge