fridge not working on propane - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2020, 01:57 PM   #21
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Coast Stu View Post
I have a Dometic RM2612 which operates a bit different than the older RM2193. If I understand correctly, the RM2193 is just either "on" or "off"? There is a piezo ignitor but once the flame goes out it has to be manually reignited, correct?
Yes, on or off. Temperature can be adjusted by the all in one gas valve/safety valve that the thermocouple is attached to. No thermostat. Open loop. No electronics. Controls are "outside". Simple!

Quote:
I've always enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how things work and how to trouble shoot them (I'm an Engineer ). I look at my time as an inve$tment. If major components break down out in the middle of no-where you're stuck. I hate depending on other people for my comfort or survival
Yup, me too. Keeps us off the streets and out of trouble.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #22

Name: Doug
Trailer: Aliner
Alberta
make sure to try the regulator

Dometics get a bad rap, but they're pretty simple. If the jet is clean, then the next thing to suspect is the regulator coming off your propane tank. Rather than pay to adjust the old one, I just bought a new one. Made an instant difference. The fridge went from hardly working at all on propane, to chilling almost too much. Make sure to get a good dual-stage regulator. Cheap and easy fix, if that's the problem.
CalgaryEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:01 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
Montana
Embarassing simple answer

I had a similar problem, checked everything I could think of including advice from this great forum. Took it to a shop, where they fixed some things, said it worked well, and found I couldn't start it. Took it back. They showed me a valve I had apparently missed knowing about, which they had turned off apparently for safety. Turned on and assuming enough voltage from the electrical it worked great. Quite embarrassing, but simple anyway.
Bob Person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:39 AM   #24

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I have a 2301. Just about to turn 30 years old, and actually works quite well once you get the ventilation right. I have a million-page-long thread on this forum trying to get my fridge to cool properly. Assuming proper maintenance, ventilation is everything. A brand new fridge will completely crap out at temps above 80 if it was installed in a way that doesn't allow it to vent properly.

That's the issue with my fridge. Usually at this time of year, my food is in a cooler, because my fridge can't keep up. With a fan in the upper vent pulling hot air out, and the lower vent cover removed, it's cooling adequately with highs in the low 90s. Fridge itself works fine. It's how it was installed that's the problem.

Parking where the fridge side of my trailer gets afternoon sun makes a HUGE difference. Absolutely the difference between safe temps and spoiling temps inside.

OP mentions the flame maybe has a "blue tip". The flame must be 100% blue. Any orange and it's not burning hot enough to function well.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:03 PM   #25

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I'm hopeful that we'll get a report of what the issue turned out to be.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:44 PM   #26

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Think more information would help. Does the burner not light, or does it light but not get cold?
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #27

Name: Ron
Trailer: Compact Jr
TX
12 vollt compressor frig

I live on the Gulf Coast in the greater Houston area,the summers are blazing hot and humid. my solution to the unreliable inefficient 3 way frig is the 12 volt frig freezer. it works no matter the outside temp. And to be clear, its not the "thermo electric" cooler that is advertised. these have a compressor just like the one in your home kitchen.
I have two, a chest type 50 liter and a built in one like a dorm frig. they both run on 12 volts. the engel SB70F is running in my garage awaiting the completion of my Compact Jr project.
my CF50 chest type has been on many camping trips over the 8 years i have owned it. If it broke today I would order an new one tonight. the 12volt frig/freezer has transformed our camping.
amazon has several generic copies of the Dometic that are reasonably priced and reliable.
basicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #28

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
OP here,
So, I called yesterday to get an update from the RV guy and he yelled at me and said that he would replace the propane regulator and that's all he would do. He's had the camper for a week and I don't think he's done anything yet.
I'm just not sure why he is so angry...is it because I brought the camper back in because the initial "fix" didn't fix the problem? Anyway, time will tell, as I have to wait 24 hours to see if the fridge gets cold. It's 112 degrees today, yes, a scorcher, so it will definitely take some time. In the meantime, I will head out to the mountains where it's a bit cooler and bring a cooler filled with ice to keep my food chilled. If the fridge isn't working by Sunday, I will call a mobile service that specializes in Dometic fridges. I will never go back to this repair shop and will leave a review on Monday about my experience.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #29

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Yeah sounds like he has problems.

The fridge won’t get cold in 112 degree weather.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campingbliss View Post
OP here,
So, I called yesterday to get an update from the RV guy and he yelled at me and said that he would replace the propane regulator and that's all he would do. He's had the camper for a week and I don't think he's done anything yet.
I'm just not sure why he is so angry...is it because I brought the camper back in because the initial "fix" didn't fix the problem? Anyway, time will tell, as I have to wait 24 hours to see if the fridge gets cold. It's 112 degrees today, yes, a scorcher, so it will definitely take some time. In the meantime, I will head out to the mountains where it's a bit cooler and bring a cooler filled with ice to keep my food chilled. If the fridge isn't working by Sunday, I will call a mobile service that specializes in Dometic fridges. I will never go back to this repair shop and will leave a review on Monday about my experience.
whats the name of the shop if I may ask.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:22 AM   #31

Name: R.R.
Trailer: Escape 21
California
Had a similar problem recently. Cold on AC(which we never use as we mostly boondock) however temps rose when on propane. Although it lit- it didn't seem as robust. Because I sleep right next to where the flame is on the other side of the wall I was probably more aware of that.

Ok- so after a lot of this & that I finally removed the orifice and soaked it for 15 minutes in isopropyl. That was it!
Osos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:41 PM   #32

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
The flame should be solid blue. There could be a dirt dobber nest in the tube just before the flame. The gas has to actually leap across a small space, go through that tube and on to the burner. Easy enough to remove the burner and tube as an assembly and be sure the tube and burner are clean. Your problem happened to me, and cleaning the tube and burner fixed the problem.
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #33

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Currently shopping
Idaho
Fridge not working on propane

You received a lot of good advice. I agree with the critique of your repairman. Also agree with the advice to persevere. I have a 1999 Dometic 2410 and it is not garbage and in fact works great...now.

You mentioned your flame has a blue tip. My is all blue and I think that is how it should be. And the chimney gets hot to the point where I can not hold my hand on it. This fridge works in 90 weather and at elevations even over 6K.

I took the following winding road and eventually solved the problem myself:

Cleaned the burner orifice
Cleaned the thermocouple
Cleaned the burner tube
New propane regulator
RV repairman blew out the lines and tested for proper gas pressure
RV repairman said only thing left to do was install a new controller which he did.
Fridge still huffed and puffed and sometimes blew itself out.
I observed an occasional flame at the burner nozzle where there should be none. Nozzle was not screwed in all the way and propane leaking at fitting threads. Don't know if this was the original issue or something I neglected to do after cleaning the burn nozzle or both. But it now works great! This fridge works in 90 weather and at elevations even over 6K.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_flame.jpg  
denswaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #34

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Great Flame!
Kip in Ga. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #35

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by denswaer View Post
You mentioned your flame has a blue tip. My is all blue and I think that is how it should be. And the chimney gets hot to the point where I can not hold my hand on it. This fridge works in 90 weather and at elevations even over 6K.

You nailed it. That is the key. If there is not pretty hot gases coming out of the top, be careful even checking this, and the chimney is not getting danged hot, then the problem is with the burner. If it is getting hot then the problem is with the absorption system and those are darned hard to fix. But that part should be the same for all three modes so sounds unlikely.

Then break it down by looking and seeing if the pilot is lighting? Is the pilot on but the burner not going. (thermostat system). or is the burner going and the system not getting hot. (something blocking it)
Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #36

Name: Robin
Trailer: 2013 16ft Scamp
California
Problem solved

Yay, my fridge is now working on propane. The RV guy swapped out my propane regulator and voila! It is now working perfectly, stayed cold all weekend in 90 degree temps. The onRv problem though is that the new regulator is rubbing up against my tanks and propane hose, and runs the Risk of eventually tearing the hose or puncturing the tank so I had to jerry rig some spacers and get creative in order to create space between the regulator and tank. Other than that, the Dometic fridge worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for all the grt advice.
Campingbliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #37

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
OP here,
So, I called yesterday to get an update from the RV guy and he yelled at me and said that he would replace the propane regulator and that's all he would do.
Quote:
Yay, my fridge is now working on propane. The RV guy swapped out my propane regulator and voila! It is now working perfectly, stayed cold all weekend in 90 degree temps.
Wow, congratulations on getting a working fridge. It sounds like this RV repair guy nailed it!

Attached Thumbnails
What a Guy small.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 PM   #38

Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
If he cleaned the orifice and chimney then the only other issue could be the regulator.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
everytime I had problems it was 2 things the propane regulator was not up to snuff and /or was a spider nest in the burner jet.
Oh, and I guess maybe these guys might have helped y'all a little.
Old 08-25-2020, 06:16 AM   #39

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Wow, congratulations on getting a working fridge. It sounds like this RV repair guy nailed it!

Sounds like he had it way to long and was way to annoying. Still time to find a new one.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
thanks civilguy and Campingbliss glad to hear its going well. now you know it can keep up so there is no guessing. After your done and shut down the fridge spray spider spray in the area in the back of the fridge. every time you shut down. or learn how to disassemble the burner unit assembly. take a good clean picture of your burner flame now for reference so you know if it not up to snuff next time.
Happy Camping!!!
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane