Fridge won't work on 12v - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 08:06 AM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Able to get my fridge wokring on electricity after I leveled it...but now I wouldn't mind trying to get it ot work on the 12 v for no other reason than I would like to get it to work on all three methods...(fixed my furnace after the advice of a wonderful member helped me out so I'm feeling all smart and willing to try another project) The lights in the scamp work so I assume it is not a fuse. The only fuse I can see visable is the one inside the battery box..wiggled all the connections to see if anything was loose. Left the fridge on electricity to get it cold then moved the switch to dc power and it cooled down. The Scamp is a 1977 the fridge is an Elixer 201-70 three way fridge...any thoughts....

Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Quote:
Able to get my fridge wokring on electricity after I leveled it...but now I wouldn't mind trying to get it ot work on the 12 v for no other reason than I would like to get it to work on all three methods...(fixed my furnace after the advice of a wonderful member helped me out so I'm feeling all smart and willing to try another project) The lights in the scamp work so I assume it is not a fuse. The only fuse I can see visable is the one inside the battery box..wiggled all the connections to see if anything was loose. Left the fridge on electricity to get it cold then moved the switch to dc power and it cooled down. The Scamp is a 1977 the fridge is an Elixer 201-70 three way fridge...any thoughts....
Don't hjave any experience with Scamps but Trilliums have a 12V inline fuse in the line just before the main switch at the back of the fridge. I don't know if this fuse came from Dometic or was added by Trillium. The fuse holder is usually black plastic about 1/2" dia. x 2" long( similar to radio fuseholder in older cars).
Bill
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Send a message via MSN to James Harper Send a message via Yahoo to James Harper
since it draws alot of power it will have its own fuse somewhere...and usually has a larger wire going stright to the battery too because of the extra load from the fridge...

James Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: A previous owner could have changed the fridge control to a 2 way 110v./propane only but left the origional knob in place. It happened to my brother and he too wondered why it wouldn't work on 12v. Our local Fridge Tech told him why...then installed a 3way controll!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge