Fridge works again - Yahoo! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #1
RLP

Name: Rick
Trailer: 72 Boler
British Columbia
Fridge works again - Yahoo!

I replaced my original Dometic fridge with a new to me Dometic that has a small freezer and door storage. That was last year but it's proper operation on propane was short lived - minimal cooling. RV appliance repair shop wanted $550 to rebuild the cooling system (we both concluded it was a circulation problem with the ammonia mixture).

I had read several posts about others inverting the fridge in an attempt to improve the circulation so I decided to give it a try. I turned the fridge upside down for 4 days then right side up for four days and repeated that 5 times. Fired it up on propane and after several hours the inside temp was at 3C with an outside temp of 18C. Then I put several large water filled containers in the fridge which drove up the temp but it eventually re stabilized at -1C to 2C. This is with the temp dial at 4 (the half way point).

The true test will be in the summer when it's much hotter outside and 35C inside the trailer when I am away for several hours. Crossing my fingers I'll get a few more years out of the O'l Girl.
RLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Congratulations. I've heard of that trick but it is good to know that it actually works. Please let us know if it keeps working.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I had an old time RV tech tell me that secret several years ago. He said in real stubborn cases to take a rubber mallet and tap on the coils to break loose some of the crystals that form and plug them up.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge