front air conditioner cover - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #1

Name: carolyn
Trailer: 2005 casita sd
Michigan
front air conditioner cover

Our 16' Casita has the below closet air conditioner but there is no cover on the outside vent to keep out traveling dust and dirt. Is that cover necessary? If so, where would I get one? I tried to make one to attach to the corner things that stick out (for what looks like there should be a factory type cover) but it didn't work out very well.
Should we try to pull the air conditioner to clean out any road dirt? What do you folks do?
Thanks.
garycarolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Casita
Louisiana
I can’t speak to what happens when a cover is not used since I have always used mine. As to replacement covers, Casita sells them for about $30.

https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ver-name-price
Old 06-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #3

Name: Tom
Oregon
I have a similar issue with the AC cover on our Casita. I have the cover, but it will not stay fully attached while driving. I have come back and found it dangling by one of the Duz connectors at a rest stop more than once. So I don't use it anymore. I am worried that rain may be getting in there and starting floor rot? Is that possible?
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:24 AM   #4

Name: Brandon and Wendy
Oklahoma
I had a cover made at a local reupholster shop. We used a heavier duty fabric. I attached the grommets to the cover as to make sure the cover would stay tight. The one I replaced was worn, would sag and become detached.

Personally, I think it's a necessity as that is an entryway for water, dirt, grime, etc. Can cause problems to the a/c unit as well.
SMSample is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #5

Name: Philip
Louisiana
Although I have not had mine come loose, a friend of mine did have his come loose. His solution was to attach self adhesive strips of Velcro to the cover and Casita to augment the factory connectors. No problems with the cover coming loose after that.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:17 PM   #6

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I had an awning shop make mine at least 10 years ago to fit the factory fasteners. It must have been pretty good material since it's lasted this long in the Texas sun.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #7

Texas
I had an awning shop make mine at least 10 years ago to fit the factory fasteners. It must have been pretty good material since it's lasted this long in the Texas sun.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:10 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egg White View Post
I can’t speak to what happens when a cover is not used since I have always used mine. As to replacement covers, Casita sells them for about $30.

https://store.casitatraveltrailers.c...ver-name-price

Thanks - but our space is 11 and half" by 21 and half".
I had pieced one together out of tarp material using the grommets from the tarp but it stretched (much to my surprise). Also the grommets are round so I had to squeeze them to an oval for the corner thingies to turn and hold the cover on. Will call the office and ask if they have any suggestions.
Old 06-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #9

Name: Rodney
Indiana
Registry
Homemade Front A/C Covers

We made covers at home from Sunbrella material I bought online. I also replaced the grills on our camper. I was not a fan of the twist locks the factory had installed so I purchased a section of awning rail and used it for the top connection point. The cloth has a piece of hard plastic tubing sewn inside a pocket that then slides into the channel on the rail. I used industrial velcro on the other three sides. So far it has worked great, as you can see we also crafted a cover for the side vent too. I felt it was just as likely to get water in it while traveling in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
front.jpg  
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #10

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodcop9405 View Post
We made covers at home from Sunbrella material I bought online. I also replaced the grills on our camper. I was not a fan of the twist locks the factory had installed so I purchased a section of awning rail and used it for the top connection point. The cloth has a piece of hard plastic tubing sewn inside a pocket that then slides into the channel on the rail. I used industrial velcro on the other three sides. So far it has worked great, as you can see we also crafted a cover for the side vent too. I felt it was just as likely to get water in it while traveling in the rain.

Thank you - your fixes look great. Will try again to make something.We have never pulled the air conditioner out to check behind it so see what condition the floor and sides are in. Any experience with that?
Old 06-20-2020, 06:30 PM   #11

Name: Rodney
Indiana
Registry
Yes, I had to replace my front A/C, it is a chore. You should be able to see through the grill fins well enough to tell if the back half of the a/c needs to be cleaned out. If it needs to be cleaned I would simply remove the exterior grill. That would be a good time to reseal all of the joints that are associated with the vent duct. On my camper, there is a vent grill on the bottom side of the camper under the area of the a/c. If you have that grill you could remove it and check the condition of the floor. The only other way to check the floor in that area would be to remove the a/c unit and all of the structure it is mounted to. The vent covers really were not hard to make. My wife is pretty much a novice at sewing and we still managed the project. Good luck
Rodcop9405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #12

Texas
Taking out the AC is not a job to be taken lightly. I just did mine to put in a new one and just getting through all the silicon they stuck it in there with took a couple hours. I found a very sharp machete did the job.

You'll shocked how jerry-rigged the support structure is. But, outta sight, outta mind, I guess.

BTW my cover with twist locks has worked fine for over 12 years.

Tags
casita