Front Dinette Construction/Couch Removal Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
Hi, all!

I'm in the midst of doing something I've wanted to do for a while: take the couch/bunks out of my 13-foot Scamp and build a two-person front dinette. All is going well so far, but before I go any further, I need some information from those of you who've done this before.

Taking out the fiberglass isn't going to be a problem and I've got the basic frame of the new dinette seats taking shape, but I'm wondering what exactly those two raised portions underneath the sides are (where the seats of the dinette will be/the current storage area now). I've seen pictures from those of you who've left those portions and some who have taken them out--but I'm wondering what's under there, so I don't make an irreparable mistake.

Thanks a lot!

Karen
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Look under the trailer......that is the frame!
Scamp raises the frame along the sides so that space is not as tall inside as it might seem.

I think if you look under there it will become more clear.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I've seen pictures from those of you who've left those portions and some who have taken them out--
Karen,

Follow Eds advice and look underneath to see what is there.

The pictures you have seen may have come from different model years or different trailers. Look up some of those pictures and have a closer look at the floor and frame. It was only when I started looking at how others had done their front dinette mod that I started realizing how they all differed. I chose not to do mine since I would have to lift everything up onto the 6" step that crosses the front of my trailer in that area.

Roy
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote