front-mounted receivers for bike racks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've learned a lot in the past few days about carrying bikes on a small fiberglass egg! This site has been very helpful. I would like to warn others of the danger of using a receiver mounted bike rack on the rear of the trailer. Scamp gladly installs them as an option, eveb on a 13', but ALL the bike rack manufacturers are horrified at the idea. They fear the bounce on the back of a small trailer with no suspension will cause their racks to fail, no matter how well they manufacture them! It is MUCH MORE than a matter of weight distribution and sway of the trailer itself. The consequences could be disastrous for anyone following behind. So please -- if you go this route -- find a way to secure the bikes to the trailer so if the rack snaps after continuous stress, the bikes will stay close behind YOU (not that you'd ever be able to ride them again!).
There are other much safer solutions. I've just discovered that front-mounted hitch receivers are now available for many vehicles. Sadly, my Toyota 4Runner is a 2006, and the hitch receivers are not made for models prior to 2007. But they are out there. So if this solution works for you, I'm glad it helps. Richard
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Very good point! When I think about how much things get shaken up inside the Scamp while we're traveling, the idea of putting bikes on the back of the trailer seems way too risky. Thanks for pointing this out!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Trillium
Quote:
I've learned a lot in the past few days about carrying bikes on a small fiberglass egg! This site has been very helpful. I would like to warn others of the danger of using a receiver mounted bike rack on the rear of the trailer. Scamp gladly installs them as an option, eveb on a 13', but ALL the bike rack manufacturers are horrified at the idea. They fear the bounce on the back of a small trailer with no suspension will cause their racks to fail, no matter how well they manufacture them! It is MUCH MORE than a matter of weight distribution and sway of the trailer itself. The consequences could be disastrous for anyone following behind. So please -- if you go this route -- find a way to secure the bikes to the trailer so if the rack snaps after continuous stress, the bikes will stay close behind YOU (not that you'd ever be able to ride them again!).
There are other much safer solutions. I've just discovered that front-mounted hitch receivers are now available for many vehicles. Sadly, my Toyota 4Runner is a 2006, and the hitch receivers are not made for models prior to 2007. But they are out there. So if this solution works for you, I'm glad it helps. Richard
How would one go about finding out if a front mount would be available for their rig?
Sharon Herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
How would one go about finding out if a front mount would be available for their rig?
Oddly enough go to the thread called..."Bike racks on rear of 13' Scamp "
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #5

Quote:
I just googled "front mount receiver hitch" and quite a few options in the States came up. Today, I had one made up and welded on my 2006 4Runner for about $175 Canadian, which is about what most of the "ready out of the box" options seem to cost. Richard
Richard Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #6

They might also be called towing bike racks. Selection of swagman is Swagman Bike Racks
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote