Front Storage Box - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Front Storage Box

Looking for opinions on the Front Storage Box option on the Bigfoot Trailer. Is the addition length worth the additional storage? If you don’t have one do you wish you did? On the contrary if you have one do you wish you hadn’t. Thank you.
Dr C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:17 AM   #2

Name: Fred
Delaware
Extra storage box compartment

I have had one on all three of the Bigfoot trailers I have owned. I appreciate the fact I can store items there I would not like to have inside my camper or truck bed. Waste system chemicals in particular. I store my blocking for tongue, four pads for leveling jacks, wheel chocks, tools, extra electric cords, extra sewer hose etc there. I have found the extra storage very beneficial for my uses.
FredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:32 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
If a front storage box is an option on new Bigfoots, then as an owner of a 1988 Bigfoot, I would highly recommend going with the front storage box option. I am having to pay $1,000 to have a diamond-plated steel tongue box custom-made because I don't want to lift off that entire one-piece fiberglass cover that goes over the propane bottles and battery everytime I want to access them and I want a locking compartment, plus I want it to store the chock blocks and other items that tend to get dirty.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
For those of you that don’t have the option of a front storage locker, here is what I did after reading a post from long ago what a person with a Burro trailer did to store light items like water hose, electrical connections, wheel chocks, etc. They are lockable motorcycle saddle bags that I got off Amazon.
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
CA86699C-7430-45D6-BB4F-D4C72B649FAB.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Motorcycle saddle bags! Cute idea! Thanks!

BEST
Kai
Old 01-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #6

California
Thank you. Just don’t want to purchase something that is not needed.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #7
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Here is my front storage box with and without the cover. Sufficient for two jacks, wheel chocks, tent stakes, extension cord, and a few other miscellaneous items.
Attached Thumbnails
FD74E175-9BC4-4305-AA9F-9E1AE8077344.jpg   FB83085A-A966-451D-9A16-94918B497512.jpg  

Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
I bought one of these for my '79 Boler 1700.

Larin Storage Box Set | Canadian Tire

I had to move the propane tank base forward 1 1/2 inches to make it fit. I also wanted to retain the tank cover so I altered the tank cover so I can lock and unlock the box through the lid of the tank cover. It holds the battery and all the sewer hose accessories and chemicals.
Sorry I can't get a picture right now but if you're interested i'll try get a couple of them tomorrow.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:35 PM   #9

California
Hmmmmm......sounds like the verdict thus far is “go for it”. I’d rather not have to come back and install something later. Anyone out there who thinks the extra 2 1/2 feet on the trailer has a draw back?

As you can guess my concern is the length of the trailer. So is there a difference in a 25 foot versus a 27 1/2 foot trailer?

Looking to be a minimalist within reason.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:23 PM   #10

Name: Roy
Texas
Registry
Ed we have a 25' RQ Bigfoot and we really like the front storage box. I carry my fishing gear, levelers, and a few odds and ends. Just make sure not to go too crazy on the weight as it will also increase the tongue weight. All said, I'm glad ours came with the storage box even though it adds 2 feet to the tongue. Safe travels!
Roy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
Here is another vote for the storage box, we have it on our 2008 25fb and I really like it, I store a lot of bulky stuff, 2 folding chairs, leveling blocks and chocks, sewer junk, water filter stuff, electrical cords, some stuff is stored in kitty litter pails, cords in a 5 gallon pail(they coil nicely that way). plus a folding plastic table and rugs etc 3 emergency gas cans. I try to organize all the items for set up on the drivers side for easy access. All this storage allowed us to change our tow vehicle from a pick up to a 3/4 ton suburban which allows us to carry extra passengers(grand kids) as needed.
As with most things in life there are trade offs, I dont really like the honda2000 in the back of the suburban(my wife never noticed any fumes) and am making plans for a rear mount for that.
The front cover is part of the cargo box and not removable by its self to easily get to the battery and lp tanks, I remedied that by cutting the cover down each side at the top of the hatch to the bottom and reattached it so I can take it off when I need to.
This may seem extreme but I have severe arthritis and can't lift the 30# tanks or battery out of the hatch if it were necessary away from home. If some one were interested to see this modification I may have a few photos.
Our first Bigfoot a 17.5 Gaucho did not have one, and it would have been great on a 17 as there is much less storage on a 17.
The extra length hasn't been an issue except for where we park it at home has required a few accommodations. And you will have to plan turns a bit more with the extra length compared to a 17. but the extra 2' compared to a 25 is negligible in my thinking.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:20 AM   #12

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Big, huge + vote for a front storage box. We had a POS plywood one on the front of our Casita. Very useful, but very poorly made. We have the factory optional front box on our Escape. Love, love that box! In our case, we have the battery in the box, the rest is used to store set up items: cords, hoses, drain line, whatever.

Better still on the Escape, the box serves as a front chip guard, with a tough coating similar to spray on bedliner on the front of it. And trailers with longer tongues are easier to back up IMHO.

I was working with a welder to custom build an aluminum box for our Casita. That was going to cost some $$$. Still worth it.

Pretty much all the molded trailers out there have limited storage. Our Casita had minimal storage, as much of the lower cabinets held water tank, battery, converter panel, water pump, furnace, hot water heater. While our Escape has more storage than the Casita, I still would prefer to have stuff outside the living space.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #13

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr C View Post
Is the addition length worth the additional storage?
I don't see how it adds any length, since it sits on the tongue.

I have a storage box on my Escape, as most Escape owners do. It's an option but it probably should be standard equipment since the vast majority have it. It's the most used option on our rig, hands down. I'd definitely have a front storage box on any trailer that offered it. Just watch the weight of what you put in it. That will increase the tongue weight of the trailer due to the location.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #14

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Before adding a lot of weight to your tongue, you might want to look through this information:

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...eavy-trailers/

I am consciously planning to keep as much weight near the axle on my Boler 1300 as is possible.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25FB trailer
rbryan:
The frame on a bigfoot is extended 2' longer than standard to make room for the cargo box, thus the additional length, with out the box the frame is shorter.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin A View Post
rbryan:
The frame on a bigfoot is extended 2' longer than standard to make room for the cargo box, thus the additional length, with out the box the frame is shorter.
Ah, I see. That's different.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 AM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
Here is the custom box I had made for my LiL Snoozy. I have two Golf cart batteries in there plus, chocks, leveling device, hoses and wires etc. I l left it unsealed so battery gases can escape and water can drain out. Perfect for dirty chocks etc.
Attached Images

charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #18

Registry
I have a question: does the extra weight in a tongue box act any differently from that same weight in the very back of a van, behind the rear wheels? It seems it must--some--but how much? Would it really matter? I'd like to see us add a storage box--maybe keep the batteries in it and have room for other items above...? But...?

I understand that same weight on the very back of the trailer could be a significant difference...

Thanks,

Kai
Old 01-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #19

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
I have a question: does the extra weight in a tongue box act any differently from that same weight in the very back of a van, behind the rear wheels? It seems it must--some--but how much? Would it really matter? I'd like to see us add a storage box--maybe keep the batteries in it and have room for other items above...? But...?

I understand that same weight on the very back of the trailer could be a significant difference...

Thanks,

Kai
Kai, go to the link I put in post #14. It talks about weight distribution and trailer stability.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:27 PM   #20

Registry
Alex Adams,

Thanks! Good article! Clear and informative.

BEST
Kai

Tags
bigfoot