Front Window - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #1

Trailer: One 13 ft Scamp and One 13 ft Trillium and Two Trillium 4500
Was wondering what type material would be best for the front and rear window of my Burro renovation..I have found Plexiglas, Acrylic, and Lexan Polycarbonate sheets that will fit but don't know if one is better than the other just that one "COST" more than the other....Any suggestion's

Need Help on this one.........
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Howdy, I may be the only person mentioning this, but after using Lexan for various project and at work, I wouldn`t use either of the other two.....like I`ve mentioned before...cut narrow strips , i.e. 1/4' wide out of 1/16" Lexan and tie it in knots....try the same with Plexi or acrylics...or try this...take a piece of Lexan, put it on an anvil or other hard surface and hit it with a hammer a few times......try the same with acrylics or Plexi ......Oh, wear safety glasses or preferably face shield......compare the results....if you do use Lexan, try get the scratch resistant ......apparently it`s better, but also more costly...good luck.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #3

Trailer: 1985 17 ft Burro
Our Burro windows were chipped but pretty clear considering the age. I thought it would be easy to get a glass company to provide me with smoked safety glass so that I may reuild my windows using the same frames. I went to all kinds of glass companies...autos, shower enclosures and they all said that the small piece I needed (one half of small side window) would cost a minimum of $200. Making safety glass is a specialized and costly process. Needless to say, I went with some sort of plastic.

The rubber channels are very difficult to find. I may have found a source for new rubber channel but the cost was exorbitant ...$99 for 3 feet.

I was shopping in Menards and saw a sheet of smoked (plexiglas?) in the section with their clear plastics used primarily (I think) to replace the window portion of a screen door. I bought the small piece (appx $12) and cut it with a jigsaw. It turned out perfect! The shade is slightly different, more brown than the original grayish smoke tint but it is hard to notice.

Rather than fuss with rebuilding all the windows, I decided to refresh the other windows by using Brasso as suggested from a helpful member on this site.

This is how it is done...First make sure that windows are free from dirt, otherwise you may add scratches. Then apply Brasso in a circular motion to the clean windows with a soft clean cloth. Let it dry, then rub it off with a clean micro soft cloth.

My windows were removed from the Burro when I did this so I could add quite a bit of pressure (for a smallish woman) to both sides. The Brasso removed the smaller scratches that can make the plastic look cloudy and it also left a non-stick, kind of Rain-X finish that makes the water shed off.

Good luck with your windows,
Donna
D Shubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 98 Burro Widebody
Quote:
I went to all kinds of glass companies...autos, shower enclosures and they all said that the small piece I needed (one half of small side window) would cost a minimum of $200. Making safety glass is a specialized and costly process.
Wow. I can't belive they were going to charge you that much. I recently replaced a slider panel window in my Burro. I took a cardboard template and a shard of the original glass to a glass shop and they had no problem matching it with tinted, tempered safety glass. Cost: $40. I had to wait 3 days, but that was the only hassle.
David Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote