Front window replacement plexiglass not to spec. Is this ol? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-15-2021, 07:40 PM   #1

Name: Phil
Trailer: Scamp
Alaska
Front window replacement plexiglass not to spec. Is this ol?

The replacement plexiglass front window I just got back from my local glass shop is off by about a quarter inches in the corners. The corners turned out a little more rounded than the original plexiglass they used as the template.

Is this okay? Will the gasket make up the difference? Or will The corners now be prone to leakage?
pwzummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:00 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Time and the intensity of the water hitting the window will tell. A heavy rain, blown directly at the widow by wind may not leak if you’re in a camp ground. But that same rain, driven directly into with your tow vehicle may make its way around the seal. This is my opinion, I had no leaks from an 82 mile an hour wind driven rain at my house. But rain driven by 142 mile an hour wind for 42 minutes got things a little wet. Inside.
Like I said Time and the situation will tell.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:05 AM   #3

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Installing it is a lot of work to then take a chance with leaking. If they had the original as a templet why is the one they cut not the same? Ask them to try again... and check it before you pay for it.
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
Lexan

Have done a couple hotrod windows . We always use lexan v/s plexiglass . Holds up to uv and stronger. Pretty easy to shape. Flat windows are a easy home DYI. https://youtu.be/oyEtomaj2ek
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:19 AM   #5

Name: Steven
Trailer: '79 Boler
on Ontario
Registry
Long and probably unending debate on Acrylic (Plexiglass) vs Polycarbonate (Lexan). Both can yellow in constant sun, but the acrylic can be polished out. I use acrylic on my Boler and have made detachable vinyl covers when stored to avoid excess sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Boler - 1 (8).jpg  
steve67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:41 AM   #6

Alaska
Thanks for your replies. Just a reminder that this is an only 1/8 of an inch off on one corner. Based on the tightness of the gasket when doing installation, shouldn't that 1/8 inch be offset by the gasket?
Old 10-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwzummer View Post
The replacement plexiglass front window I just got back from my local glass shop is off by about a quarter inches in the corners. The corners turned out a little more rounded than the original plexiglass they used as the template.

Is this okay? Will the gasket make up the difference? Or will The corners now be prone to leakage?
I'd have them remake it. It should fit perfect. We had a slight variation in a window in our RV and it leaked. Had it replaced by the factory since we were there anyway.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
If it doesn't fit properly it will leak. Why accept less if you are paying for new?
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:05 PM   #9

Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L View Post
If it doesn't fit properly it will leak. Why accept less if you are paying for new?
When you live in rural Alaska, the options are few and far between
Old 10-23-2021, 12:01 PM   #10

Name: skip
Trailer: Bigfoot
Boca Raton
There is a fiberglass place in Wasilla that will do it right. Can't remember the name of the place but is on the road behind and to the west of the movie theater across the highway from Lowes. Good people
mariaandskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
142mph! That’s a category 4 hurricane!
I guess you might get some leaks assuming you could locate your trailer two states away. ��
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McDonald View Post
142mph! That’s a category 4 hurricane!
I guess you might get some leaks assuming you could locate your trailer two states away. ��
This was the Midwestern derecho in August of 2020. Though we were directly hit, our Escape was fine. Our newer pole building sets behind (east) of a lower
Older metal building. I think the oncoming wind was humped up over the newer building. We lost some trees, the overhead door on the smaller building
And some other stuff but All in all came out better than a lot of folks. My State Farm insurance treated me pretty well on the repairs. The cars were inside so they were ok too. Midwestern weather with straight line winds is common but fortunately derechos are not. I have a metal roof on the house that was completely unscathed.
No power for 11 days but the Honda 2200 kept the freezer, refrigerator, fans etc going as we switched drop cords as needed. We did not have to go to the grocery store in that time only had to drive 5 miles for Gasoline for the generator. The filling station was set up to run the pumps with a champion generator. Never raised the price a nickel, had great sandwiches for sale for the customers and everyone helped each other. The homeowners Assn. has a generator to run rhw well pump. I have an electric water heater attached to the geothermal system so had hot water. My camping and Boy Scouting experience came in handy.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Taylor Coach 17 ft
WOW

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php
This NOAA website shows an animated video of what can happen to trees and a building at increasing wind speeds. At 142 mph you’re fortunate to have had only a little damage.
(Scroll down to the arrow to see video)
Cheers John
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 01:50 PM   #14

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve67 View Post
Long and probably unending debate on Acrylic (Plexiglass) vs Polycarbonate (Lexan). Both can yellow in constant sun, but the acrylic can be polished out. I use acrylic on my Boler and have made detachable vinyl covers when stored to avoid excess sun.
This is a great idea!!
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote