Frustrated - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2021, 11:48 PM   #1

Name: Gerald
Trailer: Ulta 5th Wheel
AZ
Frustrated

For over a month we allowed an RV dealership to list our fiberglass 5th wheel for sale, mostly because we had no place to store it. It has been a frustrating experience as they don't appear to understand that fiberglass RV's are more valuable than the run of the mill RV's. We saw a 13 ft scamp with a huge write up listed on their website for $1,000 more than our 21 ft 5th wheel which barely had 2 sentences. After explaining things we finally got him to change the write up a little bit but he still doesn't get it that our 1985 Ultra Lite 5th wheel is very similar to a Scamp 5th wheel except that it is a dual axle and a much better layout. Just posting our frustration over how little these dealerships know about fiberglass RV's!
jvhretiredatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Your trailer is not a moulded fibreglass trailer like the Scamp 19' or Escape 5.0 TA.
It's construction is inferior and prone to leaks. It's laminated panels held together by staples and sealant. Just be happy when it sells.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...gionSelected=1
Old 12-14-2021, 06:33 AM   #3

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Might be like this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2021-12-14 at 06-31-22 1985 Fifth Wheels For Sale - RV Trader.png  
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:03 AM   #4

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Might be like this one.
That is exactly the ad that I am talking about. We did manage to get him to change the write up a little bit but still could be better. It is a great little fiberglass RV. We have had a 19 ft scamp 5th wheel before as well as other fiberglass travel trailers and this one by far has a better interior layout than the scamp 5th wheel plus it is dual axle which is a big deal.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:14 AM   #5

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Your trailer is not a moulded fibreglass trailer like the Scamp 19' or Escape 5.0 TA.
It's construction is inferior and prone to leaks. It's laminated panels held together by staples and sealant. Just be happy when it sells.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...gionSelected=1
It is in fact a moulded fiberglass 5th wheel very similar in design of the scamp 5th wheel. This model was only made for 1 year in 1985 as a demo and is not the forrest river 5th wheel. If you look at ShelbyM post it is the ad that I am talking about.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:18 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well… just goes to show that even on an enthusiasts’ website, some molded brands are more recognizable than others!

A small fifth wheel is typically a harder sell than a bumper pull because of the truck requirement. I’ve noticed over the years that Scamp 19’s tend to stay on the market longer than 16’s and 13’s. This one, being pretty much a one-off, will not be on anyone’s radar, not even a dealer.

Selling it yourself is best, but without a place to store and show the trailer, your options are more limited. If this dealer continues to be hard to work with, I’m sure there are other consignment options in Tucson when your contract ends. Some might allow you to be more involved in the marketing- writing copy, selecting photos, and cross-listing on fiberglass specialty sites with links to the dealer.

Best wishes on the sale!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:26 AM   #7

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Well… just goes to show that even on an enthusiasts’ website, some molded brands are more recognizable than others!

A small fifth wheel is typically a harder sell than a bumper pull because of the truck requirement. I’ve noticed over the years that Scamp 19’s tend to stay on the market longer than 16’s and 13’s.

Selling it yourself is best, but without a place to store and show the trailer, your options are more limited. If this dealer continues to be hard to work with, I’m sure there are other consignment options in Tucson when your contract ends. Some might allow you to be more involved in the marketing- writing copy, selecting photos, and cross-listing on fiberglass specialty sites with links to the dealer.

Best wishes on the sale!
Good morning Jon, you make a very good point about the truck requirement. When we tried to find storage up near us everything was full except for those that were very high priced. Not sure what the reason for the overflow of stored RV's in the area is caused by. We just didn't want to keep driving all the way across town every time. Our contract with this dealership runs until mid February and who knows what will happen then, we may just figure out how to keep her.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:34 AM   #8

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Have you listed it yourself on fiberglass RV's for sale? You could then point contacts to the consignment dealer.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/rv-for-sale
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:38 AM   #9

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy J View Post
Have you listed it yourself on fiberglass RV's for sale? You could then point contacts to the consignment dealer.

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/rv-for-sale
Per our contract with the dealership we are not allowed to list it on any sites, we asked. If he doesn't sell it then we will either keep it or find a convenient place to store it and try selling it ourselves. We are leaning towards keeping it and doing more traveling.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Sale suggestion

If you end up selling it yourself, consider selling your truck with it. For some people without a truck, finding a complete camping rig would be attractive.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
If you end up selling it yourself, consider selling your truck with it. For some people without a truck, finding a complete camping rig would be attractive.
That is why we originally listed it is because we lost our truck and didn't have one to replace it. We have since bought a different truck which is making us reconsider.
Old 12-14-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Without a link to read the ad you are bound to 1 dealer who few no online will ever view. I'd spread the word online with a link to the dealer if you can't park it somewhere and sell it on your own without a commission. Don't rely on the salaried salesman to do a good presentation. Meet a potential customer yourself and answer questions.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:33 PM   #13

AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Without a link to read the ad you are bound to 1 dealer who few no online will ever view. I'd spread the word online with a link to the dealer if you can't park it somewhere and sell it on your own without a commission. Don't rely on the salaried salesman to do a good presentation. Meet a potential customer yourself and answer questions.
Here is the link from their website.

https://tucsonparkandsellrvinc.com/i...2c477f01d0124/
Old 12-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #14

Name: William
Trailer: Scamp
Lakeville, CT
A couple of thoughts:

-One of the reasons this prototype might not be as desirable as a Scamp is the lessons learned by Scamp and availability of parts.

-If the layout is fantastic, try to find a way to feature it. I get no sense of the layout looking at the pictures. Also the 2nd 3rd and 4th pictures in the listing all seem to be the same. Maybe do a photo session yourself and ask the dealer to post those.

Cheers
biw314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:45 PM   #15

Name: Brad
Trailer: Interested
Montana
Maybe you are posting it on this site to try and sell it thru the dealer. Possibly the ultimate goal.
Montana Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #16

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
That is a very cool trailer. If I didn’t already have too many trailers I’d be so tempted. Especially at that price.

I’d be really tempted to list it on specialty sites with a link to the dealer. So long as you drive all the traffic to the dealer I can’t see them complaining.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote