Frustrated by Dometic Catalina 2500 awning - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #1

Name: Craig
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Frustrated by Dometic Catalina 2500 awning

I'm trying the Catalina 2500 awning for the first time and I'm having real trouble opening and closing it. It is the the same as in this Scamp After watching the video many times, I have been able to deploy and stow it, but the frame mechanism is difficult to extend and store. I guess if I practice a few more times I'll get the hang of it enough to actually want to use it.

Any advice or tricks on use this particular awning?
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 AM   #2

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Scamp 19
Washington
The problem I've run into is not having the poles long enough when extending the awning. The first time this happened, the knobs on the rafter beams
caught on the casing rather than extend properly. The beams can bend if this happens.
Extend the poles as long as possible to prevent this or better yet have one person on each pole and hold it high as you walk it out. This procedure does get easier with practice. I enjoy using the awning enough that I am willing to deal with the opening and closing procedure. If I ever replace the awning, I will probably not get the same one, as I have seen other easier to operate awnings. I think there may be threads where other brands have been discussed already.
Wayne53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: Craig
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne53 View Post
The problem I've run into is not having the poles long enough when extending the awning.
I've been practicing with the awning today and have increased my speed. That is a good tip. I now carefully extend the poles on both open and close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne53 View Post
the knobs on the rafter beams caught on the casing rather than extend properly.
The rafter beam knobs were missing when we purchased this trailer. I'm thinking the previous owner had this problem and just removed them. The spring lock seem to hold the rafter beams fine.

I don't want to spend the time and money to replace the awning. Hopefully we'll get some good use out of this one.
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Registry
awning fun.

This awning is way too clever and designed by evil sadists in my opinion.

However, once deployed it is very stable.

The deployment gets better with practice. The knobs often catch on the housing, so I usually roll mine up without some of them. Small diameter replacement knobs are hard to find. Larger ones will not fit in the housing.

At least one of the telescoping leg components is an aluminium stock part you can get at any home center.
Ed F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have that awning on our Casita. It does take practice and the right method to open and closing it. One of the locking knobs was missing so I use a common 1/4 - 20 thumb screw with a washer. I remove the thumb screw before closing the awning. In windy conditions I use a set of deflappers on the ends, halfway out, and tie them off to stakes. I stake the legs down on the ground, not on the trailer brackets and guy rope out from the outer corners.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning