fueling generators - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
So I know that filling a fuel can means taking it out of the truck to put it on the ground. What about a generator? Mine is heavier than I can lift off and on the truck by myself. Does it have to come off the plastic insert in the bed, or be on the ground or what?

Thanks
Dennis Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 09:09 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Dennis: Someone somewhere filled a gas can in the back of their PU and created a spark of static electricity and caught something on fire thus the reg about setting things on the ground. Everyone wants to be sure there is no chance of this happening on their turf.

As a military aircraft mechanic in a past life we did the following when fueling an aircraft:
Gas truck with a ground strap to a grounding stake in the ground.
Gas truck to a bare ground on the aircraft.
Fuel nozzle to a ground to the aircraft.
Aircraft to a grounding stake in the ground.
Then start fueling.

If you were really concerned and did not want to move the generator then why not fuel it using a gas can. A gas can that you filled up while it was on the ground. You could also run a ground strap from the generator to the metal of the truck.

The gas pump and associated equipment would have the possibility of generating static electricity in a higher dose than a 2/1/2 gas can to generator would.

Me, I fill my generator up, in the truck, just like the boat people do with their fiberglass boats / motors but due to the tort laws shall not recommend that others do it.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote