furnace and refrigerator - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #1

Name: Marjy
Trailer: Scamp
Oregon
furnace and refrigerator

Packing took much longer than I expected for my maiden voyage. How many last minute trips back in the house does it take before the wheels meet the road? Should have put on a pedometer since it was an hour and a half later than I set for my departure. I tried to get the propane tank off, but couldn't get the screws loosened. A friend sprayed them with WD 40 a few days prior. That didn't work and I was already behind my schedule.
My brother said he would help me when I got to the campsite. I thought it was empty because I couldn't get the pilot light on for the hot water heater. Because I thought it was empty, I didn't check out things before hand. If anyone has an older brother, and smart nieces and nephews who are very seasoned campers, it was a given they willingly wanted to help me out and they did.
As it turned out, It wasn't empty. The stove worked. We got the hot water pilot light on. However, we couldn't get the pilot light to work for the refrigerator. We heard the click, but no light. AND the furnace wouldn't kick on. I did have enough bedding and a dog to keep me warm at night, but getting out of bed was not pleasant. I looked at the manuals online before hand, but they do not seem to be much help. I was not prepared for below freezing nights and only slightly warm days. Granted it was beautiful at Diamond Lake, Oregon, but too chilly for my thin blood without heat.

My scamp is a 13' 2011. The previous owner never used the hot water heater or the shower. The refrig works on A/C.
I happily look forward to hear any suggestions on what I should be looking to check.
Marjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
It might be worth checking both for wasp nests or spider webs in the burner area.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:50 PM   #3

Oregon
I certainly will. When we pulled out the awning to show me how it operated, we found some wasps nest tucked away.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Oregon
Is it there a connection between the pilot light not working on the refrigerator and the furnace not working?
Old 09-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjy View Post
Is it there a connection between the pilot light not working on the refrigerator and the furnace not working?
Seems unlikely.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #6

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I always light the stove before I try and light anything else to get the propane flowing though the trailers lines.

I found that the longer the fridge or hot water tank have sat not used on propane the harder it is to light them the first time. If I used them regularly the were pretty easy to light.

Re the furnace - not sure which wall thermostat you have but on mine their is a switch on the under side of mine that needs to be put to the on position and I need to turn the temp up fairly high to get it to light, once it lights up I could turn the temp down.

Which fridge model do you have? Each is a bit different at to how one lights them. Was it sparking and just not lighting or was it lighting and not staying on?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Have you watched these videos?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...pMYC3VN9bPZ_Tw
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #8

Oregon
I am not sure which refrigerator I have. It clicked several times, but nothing came from it. I haven't braved checking for critter nests yet. I suspect the non usage has much to do with my problem.
After many times working with the thermometer on the furnace, I was able to get the fan running then the warmth. No more cold nights for me.

I will check out more videos.
Thanks all for your help.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #9

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
If your refrigerator is making a clicking noise I suspect you do not have a pilot light. You probably have electronic ignition. My refrigerator has electronic ignition. My refrigerator makes a clicking sound, sometimes 2 or 3 clicks and then the burner ignites. Probably the burner needs a cleaning. Make sure the propane supply is making it to the refrigerator. The line could be plugged.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
After sitting for awhile, it sometimes takes 4-5 cycles for the propane to get to the refrigerator so it lights.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I do not know if you were hooked up to shore power or not,but if you were, one little box heater does wonders and you save your propane for when you do not have shore power. Just a thought. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:03 AM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I am not sure which refrigerator I have. It clicked several times, but nothing came from it.
It may say on the front upper corner of the fridge the make and model or it may say on a label on the inside of the fridge - either at the very bottom front or stuck to one of the inside side walls.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #13

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I heard the ignitor firing on my water heater, but no fire.
The solenoids were not opening up.
I checked them and one was shorted and that shorted coil was probably what burned out the DSI board.
No voltage to the new coils I installed in the heater.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, refrigerator