Furnace grill falling off FIX - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2020, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Furnace grill falling off FIX

The first trip from Backus, through northern MN, Western WI, Iowa, and into South Dakota, the grill fell off the furnace. I thought it would be an easy repair, a larger, longer screw. Well that worked for about 8000 miles. When I got home this week it was flopping around damaging the deluxe birch finish again.
New Plan, this time I used a “J” nut, a LARGE screw, and a spacer to give the screw something to tighten against. I have not yet done an inspection, there may be other repairs still needed. The roads in this county are bad, especially bridge approaches. (No, I do not need to balance my tires, they are balanced, on good aluminum rims, and unlike the stock Scamp tires they are round.)
Attached Thumbnails
grill.jpg  
AC0GV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would back up the screw with heavy duty velcro to absorb the vibration stress. Home depo carries in short pre cut strips.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
No flat areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
I would back up the screw with heavy duty velcro to absorb the vibration stress. Home depo carries in short pre cut strips.
There are no flat areas that contact each other, only sharp edges.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #4

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scamp 13
Massachusetts
I had a similar problem where the screws were backing out. I solved that problem by installing a star washer under the screw head. They make inside and outside star washers. The inside star washer works best and is least seen behind the screw head. get them at your local hardware store. Take the screw with you to get the one that fits correctly.
Lockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #5

Wisconsin
Registry
Good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman View Post
I had a similar problem where the screws were backing out. I solved that problem by installing a star washer under the screw head. They make inside and outside star washers. The inside star washer works best and is least seen behind the screw head. get them at your local hardware store. Take the screw with you to get the one that fits correctly.
I have a jar full of hardware like that and it slipped my mind.

Thank you.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:37 AM   #6

Name: Ned
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 13D & 2016 Highlander
Iowa
Used Automotive Door Edge Trim

I had the same problem with my 2017 Scamp. To avoid the grill coming loose and scratching the wood I installed Automotive Door Edge Guard to the grill in 4 places. This plastic part is U-shaped and has an adhesive in the groove that helps hold it in place. Tightening the screws slightly compresses the plastic and I have not a problem since. This material can be purchased at any auto store.
Attached Thumbnails
Furnace Grill.JPG   Edge Guard.JPG  

GpaNed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #7

Wisconsin
Registry
TNX for the reminders

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpaNed View Post
I had the same problem with my 2017 Scamp. To avoid the grill coming loose and scratching the wood I installed Automotive Door Edge Guard to the grill in 4 places. This plastic part is U-shaped and has an adhesive in the groove that helps hold it in place. Tightening the screws slightly compresses the plastic and I have not a problem since. This material can be purchased at any auto store.
I have had trouble posting for the past two days, it may well be my thought process after the return home from the smoke. So, for the second time, Thanks for the reminders, I had tried to buy door edge guard but could not find it locally. Amazon sells 10-foot rolls, but I only need one half foot. You reminded me that I had some small clear tubing that I could split and use. That is done, the interior is clean, and the antifreeze is in the lines. I have a modification to do to the solar panel, then start cleaning the outside.
Keep the reminders coming.
Ac0gv
Old 09-19-2020, 06:03 AM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Have you had your new trailer's tires balanced? If not, I would recommend it at your earliest opportunity. It will help considerably in reducing the trailer's bounce, and cut down significantly on loosened hardware and screws, etc.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:35 AM   #9

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Have you had your new trailer's tires balanced? If not, I would recommend it at your earliest opportunity. It will help considerably in reducing the trailer's bounce, and cut down significantly on loosened hardware and screws, etc.
Check post number one. He already covered that.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #10

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
There are no flat areas that contact each other, only sharp edges.

And those sharp edges can take some kind of small hose which has been slit. You have to get something so there is some give.

OH and lock tight is your friend.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:38 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Registry
All Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
And those sharp edges can take some kind of small hose which has been slit. You have to get something so there is some give.

OH and lock tight is your friend.
But I already have a plan "D". There is room to get your fingers back there to put a nut on a bolt. That's for next time it falls off. But it should never fall off again because I am NEVER going on an epic RV journey again. There is plenty to see here in the mid-west.
Old 10-08-2020, 06:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
But I already have a plan "D". There is room to get your fingers back there to put a nut on a bolt. That's for next time it falls off. But it should never fall off again because I am NEVER going on an epic RV journey again. There is plenty to see here in the mid-west.
You are always welcome in Iowa. Only problem this time of year is the corn and beans are being harvested so the miles and miles of nothing but corn is gone! LOL

Tags
fall, furnace, scamp