Furnace heating up upper drawer and fridge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Triple E TM14 Surfside
The furnace in my 76 TM14 Surfside is located beneath a drawer which is located beneath the fridge. When the furnace is on the drawer get so hot on the bottom and inside that you can barely touch it. I have noticed if I open the furnace door the drawer doesn't get so hot. I think the grill in the furnace door is deflecting the heat up toward the door and fridge. This cant be good for the fridge or the drawer. Is this normal and if not is there a fix for this. Thanks
Steve Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
Is this normal and if not is there a fix for this. Thanks
This doesn't sound normal to me, but I think you have a unique problem that only another Surfside owner can address.

Other than the 17' Boler, Surfside it the only model who puts their refrigerator up at eye level, with other stuff below it. Almost everyone else places the refrigerator below countertop height, most often below the stove.

The most common location for the furnace is below the sink, with no drawer above it.

Could you possibly post some pictures of yours?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:10 AM   #3

Trailer: 1978 Surfside
Hey Steve....

I would say this is somewhat normal but maybe not to the extreme of yours. With my surfside the drawer does heat up a little but not the point where you can't touch it. I was thinking of rapping the furance vent with some high temp insulation wrap (for example)

KJ
kentj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Triple E Surfside
I have this issue as well and I am looking at two options
1 build out a ledge (kinda like a mantle over a fireplace) out of metal to deflect some of the heat
2 install some old computer fans to circulate the air better so it doesnt just radiate up
GuyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Quote:
I have this issue as well and I am looking at two options
1 build out a ledge (kinda like a mantle over a fireplace) out of metal to deflect some of the heat
2 install some old computer fans to circulate the air better so it doesnt just radiate up
I just got my surfside and haven't tried the furnace yet. Where would you put the fans?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:27 AM   #6

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
The furnace in my 76 TM14 Surfside is located beneath a drawer which is located beneath the fridge. When the furnace is on the drawer get so hot on the bottom and inside that you can barely touch it. I have noticed if I open the furnace door the drawer doesn't get so hot. I think the grill in the furnace door is deflecting the heat up toward the door and fridge. This cant be good for the fridge or the drawer. Is this normal and if not is there a fix for this. Thanks
I don't want to be an alarmist but I would pull the furnace and check the fire box for a crack after all it's over 30 years old if it's the original furnace.
If it's cracked it not only allows excess heat to escape but it's putting carbon monoxide into your trailer.
I had a cracked fire box in a 76 Boler I used to have.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I think it's a consequence of having the fridge on top of the furnace. The plastic surround on the drawer over the furnace is warped in my trailer. I like not having to bend down to get into the fridge, however. I have used my furnace in sub-zero nights with no issues. If you develop a fix, I'm interested
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, furnace