Furnace pilot light shuts off after heating? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2016, 01:07 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Coleman and Bigfoot
British Columbia
Furnace pilot light shuts off after heating?

Hi All

I have a new to me 83 Bigfoot. It's had a Hyrdo Flame furnace. The pilot light lights, and the furnace heats up properly but when it's done heating the pilot light seems to go out so the furnace won't heat for a second round.

I used to the newer atwoods that suit light. What should I be looking at for this ?

Mark
markjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjeff View Post
Hi All

I have a new to me 83 Bigfoot. It's had a Hyrdo Flame furnace. The pilot light lights, and the furnace heats up properly but when it's done heating the pilot light seems to go out so the furnace won't heat for a second round.

I used to the newer atwoods that suit light. What should I be looking at for this ?

Mark
I don't know your particular furnace, but if it has a pilot light, then there are a couple of things to look for...
Maybe your regulator only supplies gas to the pilot when you are holding the bypass to heat the thermocouple. There may be several reasons for this .
Make sure that the thermocouple is touching the pilot flame when lighting the furnace. If not then adjust it.
Do you find that you must hold your hand lighter in place when cold starting the furnace?
You could have a bad thermcouple, or inadequate gas pressure to the pilot when the regulator is on heat.
What happens when you relight the pilot with the thermostat turned down below room temperature?
Check the combustion air inlet and exhaust for blockage.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
There's probably a safety valve that needs to see the correct gas pressure to work properly. If the regulator is not working properly you might able to get the furnace to light once, but then require relighting. I had this same problem with a new furnace in a previous house. Once the regulator was replace every thing worked as it should.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:50 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
The standard orifice on my suburban hw heater is for 4500 ft elevation or less. Above that I have trouble keeping it lit
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: Coleman and Bigfoot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry,C View Post
The standard orifice on my suburban hw heater is for 4500 ft elevation or less. Above that I have trouble keeping it lit
thats an interesting thought. I was in the mountains. I'll test it at sea level this weekend.
markjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #6

Name: Rick
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
I have been dealing with this issue and I am thinking in my case it is the air hose which disintegrated on my unit.
threepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: Winnebago
When we were in the Rockys this summer I had to light ours every morning. They make an orafice for higher elevations but I don't think I want to swap it every time I get over 4500 feet. If I was going to spend more time in the higher elevations I would consider carrying one.
Larry,C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, light