Furnace putting exhast into camper. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 AM   #1

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Furnace putting exhast into camper.

The Gremlins in my 79 Boler has struck again.
After 4 years of no problems with a Norcol fridge, the thing started to make the inside of the camper stink with the exhaust of gas burned.
Fridge sits just over silverware draw and the odor is coming out of this spot. The same odor is issuing from top vent on outside of trailer. I have never smelled gas burn like this.
Is there something in the chimney that is making the odor?
Is there a way to clean it?
Gas flame looks as it should, nice and blue and steady.
HELP!
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:20 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Have never heard of this before so just throwing this out there Gerry. Have you looked down the flue for a blockage? Might just need a good cleaning like the home fireplace needs.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:52 AM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
Suppliers put an odor in the propane to help identify leaks, and when the tank gets low it smells when it burns. Could your propane tank be near empty?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I assume you mean fridge, not furnace (as the title says), and the fridge is under the silverware drawer, not over it...?

Is there a CO detector in the trailer and is it alarming?

Is the back of the fridge sealed tightly to the shell?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #5

Big OOPS, Jon, I did mean Fridge... anyway I can not see down the chimney so how can I clean it out?
Will I need to take off the top vent to gain access or can it be done by sliding a slim wire from the Bottom?
Not much room down there.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I see at least two possibilities depending what it smells like rotten eggs, low propane or propane leak.
Smells like something else, spiders. Spiders like get into the burner and build nests. I've had that happen twice. Both time it removing the chimney shield and using compressed air to blow the nest out. Oh ya the gas line had disconnected at the furnace. The nest will blow out their. OR you just run it enough to burn it out.

As was indicated earlier a CO detector will help a lot in trouble shooting. It does sound more like there's a leak in the exhaust.

Good luck and happy camping
Old 06-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I see at least two possibilities depending what it smells like rotten eggs, low propane or propane leak.
Smells like something else, spiders. Spiders like get into the burner and build nests. I've had that happen twice. Both time it removing the chimney shield and using compressed air to blow the nest out. Oh ya the gas line had disconnected at the furnace. The nest will blow out their. OR you just run it enough to burn it out.

As was indicated earlier a CO detector will help a lot in trouble shooting. It does sound more like there's a leak in the exhaust.

Good luck and happy camping
I know the rotten egg smell as the old Dometic sprung a leak and that's why I replaced it. I did fill the tank and still the odor.
I will take chimney off tomorrow and clean it and let you all know if this works
Heading on a week long trip next Sunday and would like to solve this by then.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:16 AM   #8

Problem solved. Thanks for all the help. I used compressed air to blow out the chimney and black soot came out. Today will replace the CO detector to be sure everything is safe.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Gerry, where are you getting your propane? If the soot is oily that’s the problem.
You may need to adjust your air inlet. Not enough air and it will soot. Adjust air gap until flame is a nice blue color.

Make sure your frig is completely sealed around the sides. If your smelling exhaust, it’s not tightly sealed around refrigerator.
I think you still may have so issues.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Gerry, where are you getting your propane? If the soot is oily that’s the problem.
You may need to adjust your air inlet. Not enough air and it will soot. Adjust air gap until flame is a nice blue color.

Make sure your frig is completely sealed around the sides. If your smelling exhaust, it’s not tightly sealed around refrigerator.
I think you still may have so issues.
Mike I took the inspection Box of bottom of chimney area and there is no adjustable air slide on tube. there is a hole in the tube and I may check and see if I can do something to constrict the air but there is no adjustment. I think I could seal a bit better around fridge and will do that tomorrow. I did get a new CO detector and wife installed it today while I was busy finishing my solar panel box I made to transport the panel on top of my TV.....
Thanks
Old 06-08-2018, 05:32 PM   #11

I took out the stove top and got into the cavity on top of fridge and stuffed closed cell pipe insulation in every gap I could find and also used some silicone where I could see a gap under the flange to the top of fridge.
Left fridge burner on for 2 hours with CO detector on top of stove and no CO detected. Guess it is safe now.
Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:57 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Good job Gerry, a little cleaning does wonders.
Sounds like you have sealed your frig compartment off well.
Since that whole area acts as chimney, it needs to be sealed.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace