Furnace trouble, need replace part - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #1

Name: Rob
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Furnace trouble, need replace part

Good morning all.
I am in the process of rebuilding my 1973 Boler which needs a lot of repairs.
Before I paint it, I wanted to make sure all my appliances were working. Fridge was dead, but I was able to get a replacement. A little larger, so now I'm going to build a new counter and cabinet. Now here is my furnace trouble.
Pilot light "chimney" fell off. Fixed that.
Tested furnace and Thermal coupler is good .
Started furnace and burner is good, but no control from the thermostat.
On inspection, I discovered the copper bellows inside gas valve had a hole in it
so it wasn't able to expand.
I'm not sure what this unit is called or even if it's possible to get a replacement.
The gas valve was made by Honeywell if that helps.
I've attached a photo of this part (I hope)
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Phoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #2

Ontario
had trouble resizing photo

lets try this.

Ok still no photo
Old 09-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 82 Scamp 13 ft
Without knowing your furnace type or make, hard to say. I'm assuming if it's 1973 then it's a "gravity furnace". Look up that term using the search function, and look up "Robertshaw" as we've made a few posts on that 710-series gas valve as a replacement. I've never found the bellows/capillary tube available as a separate replacement part. If you are not familiar with gas system plumbing then most would advise having it done by a pro, if you can find one who works on the older stuff. 40+ years is a long time for a valve/safety device. Time for a new valve...
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #4

Name: Robin
Trailer: Scamp 13
Connecticut
Robertshaw 700 Series

I am not sure what you are looking for, but I have a Robertshaw 700 Series Gas Heating Control never used still in the box. I bought it for my '66 Serro Scotty and then realized it was electric, and the Scotty furnace is not.

I will sell it cheap or trade for a stovetop cover and grate (grates) which I need for my '80 Scamp.
Robin112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:41 AM   #5

Ontario
Thanks John for your reply. This furnace was manufactured by a company in Calgary by the name of Traco model# HF7312.
After playing with it a bit more, I have decided you are right. I had flames coming out of places that I'm sure were never designed for them.
I'm not sure if I can just find a gas valve that will attach to my burner and still fit into the furnace properly. This furnace came with a Honeywell gas valve. I'll do some more research and if the one you have Robin, will fit I'll get in touch. This valve has no electrical connection to it, is that the way your valve is? If so then the only other concern would be the layout of the valve itself, whether I could make it fit into the furnace.
I also have a line on a couple of old gas furnaces that were from truck campers. If one of them is still good then I'll use it.

Thanks again for your help.

Tags
furnace