Gap between door and trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #1

Name: Todd
Trailer: Currently shopping
Montana
Gap between door and trailer

The door on the Burro I just purchased has a sizable gap between the top of the door and the trailer. I can put my fingers through the gap - so it warped pretty good. The door alignment looks Ok so I dont think thats a problem. Currently there is no seal on the door so I will get that fixed. On the document center a gentleman provided an example of making kerf cuts on the inside of the door and bending the door back to make it fit better. Any other suggestions on how to fix this issue?

Thanks!
Bigsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #2

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Consider adding trim lok or similar around door edge. Available on EBay. Removing hinges and adjusting or realligning door to create a tighter fit may also work.
Attached Images

MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Compact Jr 1972
Wait--I'll ask my brother Steve to look here & see if he want's to comment. He fixed Karen Langlois' Burro door, although her problem was that it was loose from rotting wood securing the hinges, so it hung crooked.
Cory Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #4

Trailer: Compact Jr
Here, the first post in this thread is what I did with Karen's door. It seems to have worked well; at least I haven't heard otherwise!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-up-32394.html

The usual problem with Burro, etc, doors is that water gets into the inside of the door and the wood core rots, allowing the lower, curved, part of the door to sag, creating a big gap (and mismatch with the body) at the lower part. There have been plenty of fixes posted here, from kerf cuts and re-glassing, to threaded tension rods, to dismantling the door completely and fabricating a metal core.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #5

Name: Todd
Trailer: Currently shopping
Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hilby View Post
Here, the first post in this thread is what I did with Karen's door. It seems to have worked well; at least I haven't heard otherwise!

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-up-32394.html

The usual problem with Burro, etc, doors is that water gets into the inside of the door and the wood core rots, allowing the lower, curved, part of the door to sag, creating a big gap (and mismatch with the body) at the lower part. There have been plenty of fixes posted here, from kerf cuts and re-glassing, to threaded tension rods, to dismantling the door completely and fabricating a metal core.
I believe you have diagnosed my problem (re: water inside the door causing the sag. I appreciate all of the feed back folks have provided - thanks!
Bigsky1 is offline   Reply With Quote