Gaps in pop-up roof- how to fix? - compact jr - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2020, 12:09 AM   #1

Name: Kris
Trailer: compact jr
California
Gaps in pop-up roof- how to fix? - compact jr

Hi! It's been a long road and I'd be lost without all your advice (before/after photos coming soon). Anyhoo, I finally finished the spines to help re-curve the flattened roof. I just put the roof back on the camper and I have some gaps (see photos). I added the white edging hoping it would make a good seal...but nope. As you can see, parts of the popup don't rest on the camper.. The top has gotten wonky over the years. Is the only solution to lengthen those parts of the popup with fiberglass?

Thanks so much... and yes, she needs a bath.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6129.jpg   IMG_6127.JPG  

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #2

Name: tom
Trailer: shopping
Texas
Registry
Can you weight the outside edges of the pop-up to make it match the curve of the roof? While it has the correct shape, reinforce the pop-up to hold that shape. From the pictures, it looks like you may have overcorrected the roof - or the pop up needed to be re-curved as well to match the roof.
tomterrific01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
fiber glass flows and takes a set. next summer when its over a 100 degrees leave it out in the sun with a concrete block on each corner and the top will probably conform to the new curve. other wise you may have to take off the vinyl edge and scribe the top with a compass and grind to fit, if there is no flange on the perimeter. are their latch down to keep it from popping up during travel. Can you push it down by hand to make the edges meet to the top?
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

California
Thanks very much for your input. It's going to be 88' today in LA so I'll try to put weights not he edges to see if I have any movement. Unfortunately, the latches were removed by the previous owners to live in it like this (picture below).

RE: Flange on the perimeter...I was hoping the white edging would serve that purpose. Do you have a recommendation of something I could use? I suppose I could epoxy on a strip of white rubber?
K
Attached Thumbnails
camper roof before.jpg  
Old 11-16-2020, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
you might be able to use vinyl cove base pop rivited in place. long side on the inside back. use a back up washer for the pop rivet on the back side.

https://www.mcmaster.com/cove-wall-bases
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 06:16 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Compact Jr top...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
you might be able to use vinyl cove base pop rivited in place. long side on the inside back. use a back up washer for the pop rivet on the back side.

https://www.mcmaster.com/cove-wall-bases

If you want to regain use of the pop top I think you'll have to re-do the spines ( braces ) in the top that give it curvature. we 'guessed ' on the curvature on mine; the top came out pretty well, except that the size and weight makes it hard for a shorter person to lift. The Clamps are just Jeep Hood clamps , available cheaply from E-trailer . Someone mentioned bending the warm fiberglas with weights ; that might not work because the metal () addition probably 'set' the curvature of the top. BTW; my top fits fairly well, the cloth insert fits OK, but if you don't get it closed tightly it looks like it might take in lots of water through the space in the front if you drive in a rainstorm . . . David in Fresno and Sonora, sheltering in place so we CAN have events next year !
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 12:07 AM   #7

California
unfortunately, I can't redo the spines. I might remove the edging but add one of these silicone weatherstripping options. Ugh. It will keep the wind & rain out. Think it will work? I might have to replace every few years depending on the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 10.01.56 PM.jpg  
Old 11-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
How about a rubber bulb seal with a U-channel that slips onto the edge of the pop top in place of the white trim? There are tons of various gaskets and seals out there from online suppliers. Seems like there ought to be one that will solve your problem.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #9

California
RE: Bulb seals... can't find any large enough.
BUT I took the edging off to see where the pop top is truly touching the trailer. I'm going to shave down some of the spots a little. That should get it close enough that a bulb seal would work. Thanks! Photos coming eventually.
K
Old 11-18-2020, 01:35 AM   #10

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
No need to add any material all you have to do is look at that top more closely and you will realize that the easy solution is to remove some in the center area of the popup section so that it will match the curve. The outside corners look to be a good match for the roof curvature so leave them alone, don't do anything to that area, just work on the middle area.

Getting it marked for trimming for a perfect fit is pretty easy to do by using a scribing tool such as is used by people who install countertops. Just watch a youtube video on scribing to see how it is done.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Pop Top ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCan View Post
RE: Bulb seals... can't find any large enough.
BUT I took the edging off to see where the pop top is truly touching the trailer. I'm going to shave down some of the spots a little. That should get it close enough that a bulb seal would work. Thanks! Photos coming eventually.
K
------------------------ -------------------------------
KCan , does your top still work as a pop top? Is that your goal ? Because I have trouble lifting my top I am thinking of either raising the last 2-3 feet by 10 -12 inches to gain more headroom ( cutting the fiberglas and re fiberglasing) or putting in some hydraulic 'shocks' like are used on station wagons or pickup caps.

KCan : that looks like about a 6 in metal addition; is that enough for a smaller adult to stand in there ? How tall is yours inside ?
Anyone else : has anyone tried to put in hydraulic shocks or lifters ? I know most shorter or older people have difficulty lifting the top. I have used my head to hold it in place as I pull in the cloth 'apron' and have been told that is very dangerous for your neck ! I believe it !
And lastly, google the Havasu trailer; like a Compact or Hunter (?) but with a permanent high top in back only. That might be the best solution, at least for me ! Let's hear your ideas as we work on our trailers and plan for possible spring or summer Gatherings . . . David in Fresno and Sonora.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:15 PM   #12

California
Hi David. That's what the top used to look like when I got it. I ripped off the wooden/metal part and am trying to make it a pop up again. It was plenty tall enough for someone 6'+ to stand in.

If you watch this video, these people installed pistons to raise the roof BUT they aren't strong enough to withstand much winds. It's about 6 minutes in.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:59 PM   #13

Trailer: Compact Jr
There's no need for an especially tight fit between the popup and the roof of the trailer. Your canvas "boot" will prevent rain from getting into your trailer.

That said, if you're going to obsess over the fit, I'd be more inclined to try grinding away the edge of the popup (as k corbin suggested) than to try to build it up.
Steve Hilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 02:46 PM   #14

Name: Catherine
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr
California
Hi,
I live in L.A. too! I'm working on a VERY neglected 71 Compact Jr that I bought a few months back. The hull is warped on the sides so that the windows don't fit... but that is another problem I'm working on... (I do need another window frame, if anyone has ideas on how to make one. I'm making one from vinyl h rail.}

Regarding roof, for one, I do believe you want to reinstall the safety latches. My roof was misaligned and had to have a TALL friend help get the hinges in the proper alignment. Plus, per instructions found on this website under documents, you are to always open the FRONT (at tongue end) first, and close last.

Here's what I got for the bottom rim of the roof hood. I've not yet installed, because I'm still painting the disastrous interior! I'm hoping I will be able to still pull down to tighten security latches -- which in turn, will squeeze the rubber to create a tight water/wind seal and a cushy buffer for my nice gel coat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You'll see it has a rubber tubing that meets the cab roof. I do not have any trim now, and the friction from driving (prior to me) has created worn spots on the cab roof. ALSO, I figure it will seal tighter.... Again, all unproven at this point -- but, I did a lot of research and sleeping on design concept.

Hope this helps! Let us pop-ups know what you finally come up with.
Compact Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #15

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Try this company for the bulb seal for your top. Cutting and grinding would be a last resort. I ordered from them for my 1974 Compact JR. hope I’m not to late with this info. They have many different types of seals to choose from happy hunting.
https://uni-grip.com/products/bulb-seals
Kip Rahmig
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The best selection of bulb seals is found on ebay. You can also buy it by the foot in the length you need unlike many companies where there is a minimum order for what length they will sell you. Lots of Ebay sellers with lots of diameters and arrangements of how the bulb sits on the edge of the opening.

It is also a good place to buy window seals edge trim seals, door seals, etc.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #17

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The best selection of bulb seals is found on ebay. You can also buy it by the foot in the length you need unlike many companies where there is a minimum order for what length they will sell you. Lots of Ebay sellers with lots of diameters and arrangements of how the bulb sits on the edge of the opening.

It is also a good place to buy window seals edge trim seals, door seals, etc.

I have been down that road, after buying and returning several times I found this company that handles any seal and gap filling material anyone could ask for. I am sure you know exactly what is needed being you own a Hunter Compact yourself. It is nice to contact a real human to help with your purchase.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
First, I only read the first post and none of the responses.
If this was my camper I'd strip the top and set it on the roof.
Then to cure the gaps in the pic I would cut slits in the top center to allow the edges to contact the roof, reglass that area maybe touch up with a grinder as necessary. Then a tidy gasket will effectively seal the rest.
Fred
Old 11-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #19

Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
First, I only read the first post and none of the responses.

If this was my camper I'd strip the top and set it on the roof.

Then to cure the gaps in the pic I would cut slits in the top center to allow the edges to contact the roof, reglass that area maybe touch up with a grinder as necessary. Then a tidy gasket will effectively seal the rest.

Fred

Seems like a long way around to add a dust shield. All that is needed is a rubber bulb seal that is available and very inexpensive and simple to install. Ultimately even if all the money was spent to perform these modifications you will still need to protect the camper top with A BULB SEAL!
Old 07-08-2021, 07:39 PM   #20

Name: Joe
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
Alberta
Compact Jr. roof cap

Hello Kris,
I agree with Steve Hilby. You don't need to worry about that gap. I have a Compact Jr. and it too was screwed, glued nailed, siliconed and everything else when I got it 10 months ago. It took me a week to get the cap off. My project is finished now for I few months and I have already hauled it for a few thousand miles in all conditions imaginable. In driving rain no water gets in because of the boot. If you need a boot check out this lady in Arizona - Elaine DeRosa, 714-313-4021. She has made 4 or 5 boots for Compact Juniors. She is very good. I built my own design of lifting mechanisms for the cap. I will post some photos when I have time. Joe
Joe Cunningham is offline   Reply With Quote