Gas Detector Sounded - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: EggCamper
Maine
Gas Detector Sounded

Went to Bar Harbor Campground on our maiden voyage in our 2006 Egg. Twice the gas alarm went off - after we used the stove. I shut the gas off at the tank both times. I guess it's off to the local RV dealer. I wonder if this is why Eggs went all electric after 2006??

MainahTom
MainahTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:09 AM   #2

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
tom, you can trouble shoot to find the leak. with the gas turned on & a window open, mix up some soapy water & brush it on all the joints in the gasline. look for bubbles, just like a bad tire. then you can go from there, whether you need to repair or replace.
also, you might want to check old threds here online. I kinda remember a problem with false alarms? but I'm not sure.
good luck!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The instruction manual that came with my propane gas detector says to vacuum the face of the detector regularly and wipe it with a damp cloth from time to time.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The instruction manual that came with my propane gas detector says to vacuum the face of the detector regularly and wipe it with a damp cloth from time to time.
I have a portable propane detector that I have used to locate the general area where the leak is. I then use a soap solution to get the exact place.

https://www.amazon.com/Symbion-Porta...attery+powered
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:18 PM   #5

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Florida
My unit is going off about once a week, all false alarms ( even with no propane on at all... it has now since new in 16. It sometimes goes off when it gets powered up when I turn on the battery.... I finally put in a shutoff switch just for it... it is too sensitive...
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:01 PM   #6

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Bar Harbor is a beautiful place to visit.
We want to go back soon.

When it comes to feeling safer with electricity than with gas, it's a personal matter for everyone.

As Glenn writes, it is necessary to read the instruction book of the apparatus, it is the first thing to do. There are different conditions that can start the alarm, such as the current too low, installed in the wrong place and of course a gas leak.

Do not forget that they are to be replaced every 5 years ....

Caution is advised, both with electricity and propane.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Some detectors sound when fired up to demonstrate they work. Some also sound when there is a malfunction in the detector. Sensors can go out of calibration and become more sensitive (sound with low gas levels) or less sensitive (not sound until the level is quite high). Either way, the detector should be recalibrated or replaced.
LPG should have an odourant (mercaptan) incorporated into it so you get a sulfur (rotten egg) odour if you have a gas leak. This odour will likely be present when you use your stove just before the propane tank runs out.
A solution of dish detergent or any other liquid and water sprayed or painted on your gas line connections will produce bubbles if you have a leak.
SAFETY FIRST! If you have a gas leak or a faulty gas detector you should address this before using your unit again. Otherwise, turn of the valve on your propane tank and disconnect the line if you do use your unit.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainahTom View Post
Went to Bar Harbor Campground on our maiden voyage in our 2006 Egg.
MainahTom
Once, was waiting in the Boston AIrport for my plane to Bangor Maine, and kept hearing announcements for "BARBER AIRLINES" over the PA system.
Had never hear of such.

Later, I heard it more clearly. It was "BAR HARBOR AIRLINES"

In 2001, we were in Bar Harbor with our new Scamp, where we boarded the high speed catamaran ferry for the crossing to Nova Scotia. We got a bumber sticker that said, "I did 50 MPH in Park!"
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 05:09 PM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Were you using any aerosols, such as PAM, at the time. Aerosols, even alcohol from a spray bottle, can sometimes set them off, especially in our small trailers.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #10

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainahTom View Post
Went to Bar Harbor Campground on our maiden voyage in our 2006 Egg. Twice the gas alarm went off - after we used the stove. I shut the gas off at the tank both times. I guess it's off to the local RV dealer. I wonder if this is why Eggs went all electric after 2006??

MainahTom
First off your detector is over 10 years old so that means it needs replaced. They need replaced every 5-10 years depending on the detector. Second I'd love to know about all electric RV's. How can a stove run on electric? If they are electric that means no dry camping. Please explain. I've never heard of this.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:30 PM   #11

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
We recently bought a 2015 Casita and only had it out three times but on each one, we have had the detector go off several times. Even with the propane shut off. Has me wondering if the fumes from the hot water heater might be setting it off since it is located on the same side of the trailer as the sensor. I also wonder if the fumes given off by a battery charging could set it off?
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:49 PM   #12

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
We recently bought a 2015 Casita and only had it out three times but on each one, we have had the detector go off several times. Even with the propane shut off. Has me wondering if the fumes from the hot water heater might be setting it off since it is located on the same side of the trailer as the sensor. I also wonder if the fumes given off by a battery charging could set it off?
We had the same problem with our 2007 Casita when we bought it new. So we pulled the fuse and put a battery operated unit in up higher. It always went off about 2:00AM. So we figured it was getting slight fumes from something and since it was under the bed there was no airflow. Seems to be a Casita downfall. But that seems to be the worst of problems in a Casita. From all I read they are the best unit unless you spend a lot more money.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:21 PM   #13

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Thanks Jann. We also pulled the fuse but that also shuts off 4 of the interior lights. Not sure how to work around that.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Casita battery boxes are in a separate compartment and vented to the outside, that's not the problem. Your water heater is also vented outside. Even though it's only a couple years old, blow or vacuum it out as Glenn said and see if that helps. If not, replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We had the same problem with our 2007 Casita when we bought it new. So we pulled the fuse and put a battery operated unit in up higher. It always went off about 2:00AM. So we figured it was getting slight fumes from something and since it was under the bed there was no airflow. Seems to be a Casita downfall. But that seems to be the worst of problems in a Casita. From all I read they are the best unit unless you spend a lot more money.
Your detector may have been picking up some off gassing from a new build which is probably be gone now. Mine is an '06 I bought used so I didn't experience any off gassing, my detector is under the bed also and has never gone off. I would strongly suggest you move your battery unit back to a low position as LP seeks ground level.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:11 AM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: EggCamper
Maine
Thanks everyone. I'll replace the sensor and then check the lines and joints with soapy water.

MainahTom
MainahTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #16

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Propane is a flammable gas. So is hydrogen produced when a battery is charged. Alcohol vapour is also flammable. Flammable gas detectors will be sensitive to a number of flammable gases and vapours although the sensitivity to each will be different. They are set to alarm when the concentration of flammable gas reaches 10% of the minimum concentration required to burn/explode to provide sufficient warning that a flammable mixture may be present.
The concentration of flammable gas will decrease as the distance from the source increases. 10% at the detector could mean a higher concentration, maybe even 100% of the lower flammable limit, closer to the source. Should an ignition source be present, detonation could occur.
When the alarm sounds you have a problem; either you have a flammable source that needs to be addressed or your detector is malfunctioning.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
I also wonder if the fumes given off by a battery charging could set it off?
Yes, absolutely, especially if it is in a vented battery box INSIDE the trailer. The long term solution is to replace the flooded lead battery with an AGM battery. Downside of an AGM is that it costs twice as much as flooded lead but is far more maintenance free.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:53 PM   #18

Colorado
Quote:
Thanks Jann. We also pulled the fuse but that also shuts off 4 of the interior lights. Not sure how to work around that.
Ours was on the fuse by itself. So get access to the back of the detector and unhook the wires. Cover the ends with a small wire nut and tape them on. That way you can't short the electric out. Then you have the best of both worlds. If you ever sell the trailer you will have the wiring in place. I did this with my stove hood so that I could remove it and put a storage area in its place.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #19

Colorado
Quote:
Access the back of the detector and unhook the wires. Put a small wire nut on each one and cover in electrical tape. Shove the wires back into the compartment and get a portable unit. Then you can use your lights.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:09 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Remember any change is electrical connection when there's gas present can cause the gas to ignite. That includes turning on or off an electrical switch. The safest thing to do is get out, turn off the propane at the tank. leave the door open and any windows that were open. You don't want open or close windows or roof vents. Why? Because there is always the chance that an ignition will happen and you don't want to be in the middle of it.