Gas fridge and towing problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
I have a Dometic model RM 2410 fridge in my Scamp. When I first got it I could tow the Scamp with the gas fridge on and it would stay lit. Now when I tow my trailer the fridge turns off. Since it is so hot here in Northern CA when I get to where I'm going my fridge temp is way to hot.

Thanks;
Steve
Steve Rosenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Steve:

Going through a similar problem with a Dometic RM2333 three-way. 12v element on the road is quite inadequate, even though I have revamped the baffling to make it close to what Dometic requires. The changes helped, except that the air flow tends to blow out the flame when running on propane even more frequently than before. So, no propane use while on the road. I doubt that there is much I can do to keep the flame going reliably.

After changing the wiring for the 12v I have just about given up on that idea, besides the 12v element is only 125 watts versus 175 on AC.

I'm about to install a dedicated 400w inverter to run the frig on AC while on the road. The Odyssey has a 115 Amp alternator and I use two Group 31 batteries in the trailer. I may have to double check the wiring gauges from the alternator to the trailer batteries to determine if they are adequate.

I'm hoping that the AC operation will do the trick without causing undue electrical drain on the batteries. Arriving at a boondock site with depleted batteries is not going to work either.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The down side of having a propane flame at the fridge when you tow is when filling up at a gas station.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 PM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft
You can jump up a notch on the flame (thermocupler) or adjust it to high; should be a set-screw for this on the Dometic (I know the older models have one).
Lance M C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:42 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
The down side of having a propane flame at the fridge when you tow is when filling up at a gas station.
My dad always used to stop a block ahead of the gas station and shut off the fridge. I don't think it's something that's easy to forget.

But, you're right; he'd also have to stop again after leaving the gas station and relight it. That's three stops instead of just the one it would take if you (he) could run the fridge on 12 volt. However, his fridge didn't have a 12 volt option, so he saw propane as the only way to go. On the road.

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:26 PM   #6

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I run my fridge with a 400 watt inverter while under way....I have one trailer battery and haven`t had any problems.......just remember to switch over to propane if you are going to park for about an hour or more.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Our 3-way fridge will not work on propane unless the Boler is completely level.

Before we head out, we have it on electric to get it nice n cold, then once on the road with 12 volt we have a few freezer packs in there for travelling.

In fact, whenever it's not on "shore power" I treat it (almost) like an ice box: rotating freezer packs from freezer to fridge and back.
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
My fridge used to blow out a lot but I put in an air baffle in the grills. Now the problem is feeble cooling. But it's been really hot. I'm going to pull it out and try the rotation routine in case there is a bubble in the ammonia line. If that fails, then into the dump. I've had more than one trip ruined by the crappy gas friges that need to be babied-blow outs ,need to be leveled, air circulated inside and outside and too small for two people.
I have a Dometic portatable ($360) that I keep in the truck that that is brand new that works well, so maybe my 1981 trailer unit is ready for the grave. Maybe Dometic has improved, but gas friges are a real pain in the ass! They kill your battery on 12V and are weak if the temp is over 90.
They are like computer printers-the greatest source of all complaints.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:03 PM   #9

Trailer: Cadet
Quote:
so maybe my 1981 trailer unit is ready for the grave.
What is the make and model of your fridge?
Jeremy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:57 PM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
My fridge used to blow out a lot but I put in an air baffle in the grills. Now the problem is feeble cooling. But it's been really hot. I'm going to pull it out and try the rotation routine in case there is a bubble in the ammonia line. If that fails, then into the dump. I've had more than one trip ruined by the crappy gas friges that need to be babied-blow outs ,need to be leveled, air circulated inside and outside and too small for two people.
I have a Dometic portatable ($360) that I keep in the truck that that is brand new that works well, so maybe my 1981 trailer unit is ready for the grave. Maybe Dometic has improved, but gas friges are a real pain in the ass! They kill your battery on 12V and are weak if the temp is over 90.
They are like computer printers-the greatest source of all complaints.

I have a Norcold in the Avion that I parked on a hill at a relative's house and forgot to turn off the gas. It didn't work at all after that. So I checked with a local RV place and they assured me it could be repaired for about half the price of a new one (or less if I would remove the coolant apparatus myself). I did that and it wasn't much of a chore and had it sent to a rebuilder in Everett, WA.

After it came back all looking like new, I reinstalled it and it worked much better than it ever had. Before on warm days it became . . . well, warm. It never would hold ice cream. But after the rebuild it works great, perhaps better than new.

I don't know if some kind of magic could be worked on your Dometic like they did on my Norcold, but I sure was satisfied with the outcome.
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, propane