Gas smell at regulator on suburban SDN2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2021, 10:07 AM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp - Gently Used
Kentucky
Gas smell at regulator on suburban SDN2

We noticed a gas smell coming from our stove in our 13 foot 2017 Scamp, and we think we've pinpointed it to the intake side of the regulator...I tried tightening it, but I feel like who ever put it on at the Scamp factory never misses an arms day...if you know what I mean. Anything else I can try before bringing in a professional?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 11-22-2021, 08:46 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueIT View Post
...I feel like who ever put it on at the Scamp factory never misses an arms day...if you know what I mean. ...
Well I for one sure don't know what you mean... arms day?
And are you talking about the main regulator on the tongue, or the secondary regulator inside the stove? Have you done a bubble test, or a manometer pressure drop test, or are you only going by the smell?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #3

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Soapy water??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Well I for one sure don't know what you mean... arms day?
And are you talking about the main regulator on the tongue, or the secondary regulator inside the stove? Have you done a bubble test, or a manometer pressure drop test, or are you only going by the smell?
Leak testing with soapy water or kids bubble solution both make a good substitute for the professional leak stuff.

And I had to look it up, condition sounds to me like it would be over tightened. Speaking in code words and acronyms often work in one group but another has never heard of the term. Kind of like naming a campground with out giving the state.
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:30 PM   #4

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
We noticed a gas smell coming from our stove in our 13 foot 2017 Scamp, and we think we've pinpointed it to the intake side of the regulator...I tried tightening it, but I feel like who ever put it on at the Scamp factory never misses an arms day...if you know what I mean. Anything else I can try before bringing in a professional?

Thanks,
Scott
If in doubt of the leak get it to a gas shop now. A few bucks to have it fixed if it is leaking is not worth the chance of losing your life or someone else's. Most propane shops will check it for free or for a very cheap price.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:00 AM   #5

Kentucky
Quote:
Have you done a bubble test, or a manometer pressure drop test, or are you only going by the smell?
Going by smell and its the regulator inside the stove. We didn't have a way to really work up a foam, so we just shut it off and camped without gas. Sorry about the attempt at humor with the arms day comment.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #6

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Speaking in code words and acronyms often work in one group but another has never heard of the term.
Sorry about the arms day comment.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:02 AM   #7

Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Most propane shops will check it for free or for a very cheap price.
Thanks, We've got a guy coming out.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Going by smell and its the regulator inside the stove. We didn't have a way to really work up a foam, so we just shut it off and camped without gas. Sorry about the attempt at humor with the arms day comment.
Any soapy water solution can be used for bubble test, although I have heard that some can be bad for the metal (so maybe rinse with plain water after testing). And bubble tests with a solution only works on the places where you can apply it.. which is why a pressure drop test of the entire system is the standard proof that there are no no leaks anywhere.

Kudos to you for being safe and shutting off the propane when a leak was suspected.

As for the arms day... maybe I am thick.. but I even googled it and still don't get it. Yet my curiosity remains, in case you are willing to explain it like you are talking to a child from another country.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
FWIW. My guess as to the definition of "Arms" day is on Remembrance Day ( Armistice Day? ), former members of the military would head to the Legion to raise a few.
I had a dentist who told me after Remembrance Day, he did a lot of business replacing dentures that had been tossed up into bushes around Legions.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:09 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
FWIW. My guess as to the definition of "Arms" day is on Remembrance Day ( Armistice Day? ), former members of the military would head to the Legion to raise a few.
I had a dentist who told me after Remembrance Day, he did a lot of business replacing dentures that had been tossed up into bushes around Legions.
Indeed that was the only track that I came up with but any connection to making propane connections still eludes me.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #11

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
Quote:
Any soapy water solution can be used for bubble test, although I have heard that some can be bad for the metal (so maybe rinse with plain water after testing). And bubble tests with a solution only works on the places where you can apply it.. which is why a pressure drop test of the entire system is the standard proof that there are no no leaks anywhere.

Your point about the pressure drop test is dead on point. But might describe it. Basically the idea is you turn everything off and then turn on the propane and allow it to sit for a bit to get up to pressure. Then you turn off the propane. Now with everything off the lines should stay pressurized. So later on like several hours or even a couple days later when you turn on the valve for the propane there should be no flow. If there the gas in the lines has leaked so there is a leak.
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:54 AM   #12

Name: Rob
Trailer: 1971 Boler 1300
British Columbia
Arms day

Don't worry, I got it. Like leg day but more arm centric. Referencing the fact that the connection is very tight.
rjanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:17 PM   #13

Name: DANIEL
Trailer: Trillium
GOODYEAR
Arm day

Quote:
I knew exactly what you meant.
Dbasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerspook View Post
Your point about the pressure drop test is dead on point. But might describe it. Basically the idea is you turn everything off and then turn on the propane and allow it to sit for a bit to get up to pressure. Then you turn off the propane. Now with everything off the lines should stay pressurized. So later on like several hours or even a couple days later when you turn on the valve for the propane there should be no flow. If there the gas in the lines has leaked so there is a leak.
IIRC and maybe I do.. maybe I don't, you are supposed to drop the pressure to something like half.. so maybe 6 inches WC, and then let it sit for a few hours. Anyway I just did that test here last month. I like to do it it myself on a regular basis.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #15

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
Quote:

Thanks,
Scott
Just buy/ install new regulator and soap bubble test; they are expendable/ replacement required, get old/ crack; easy DIY; No pro required, save the $$; take old off to match up, if needed? You already know to NOT go gorilla on tightening, get some LP Gas Tape for threads
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 12:22 AM   #16

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
You might want to consider reading this discussion in the Escape forum. While there is no recall on the SDS2 stove, there have been problems............

This is from May of 2021 so it is recent.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...eak-20744.html

Charles
Old 12-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #17

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Read CharlesinGA's post #16.

Because of the explosion in my face from the leaking Suburban SDS2 stove, I purchased a propane gas sniffer. I also have a bottle of bubble spray, but that only works with half the gas connections.

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #18

Indiana
Quote:
IIRC and maybe I do.. maybe I don't, you are supposed to drop the pressure to something like half.. so maybe 6 inches WC, and then let it sit for a few hours. Anyway I just did that test here last month. I like to do it it myself on a regular basis.
This is the kind of complicated way. That has more to do with adjusting things.

What I do pretty regularly is to shut everything off except on burner on the stove. Of course this would be unwise if you thought there was a leak in the inside. Then once I have a good flame on the stove I turn it off. Now there should be no gas flowing. Then I turn off the gas cylinder. Now you have gas trapped in the pipes. Now you have to avoid a period when there is a barometric pressure change. That can throw this test off. But I leave everything alone for a period of time. If testing to make sure things are fixed I do one day. Then I go into the camper and get my igniter ready and turn on the stove. It should light and come up at the same level as it normally would with the tank valve open. Then it should die off and shut down. Turn it off before it goes all the way out. That means that the gas plumbing including the regulator did not leak.
Old 12-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #19

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Read CharlesinGA's post #16. Because of the explosion in my face from the leaking Suburban SDS2 stove I purchased a propane gas sniffer. I also have a bottle of bubble spray, but that only works with half the gas connections.

Thanks,

Perry
sounds like a good plan.