Gas Storage - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Gas Storage

Question: Would it be safe to carry a gas container on top of the battery box on the tongue of a Scamp 16? I need to figure out where to store spare gas for my generator.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:04 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
If you have a reliable way to attach the canister on top of the battery box, then I see no potential problems.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:13 PM   #3

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
If you have a reliable way to attach the canister on top of the battery box, then I see no potential problems.
I kept a one-gallon plastic can on top of my battery box on the rear bumper for months. It was held in place, on the roughest roads, by a 2" web belt.
Worked just fine until somebody stole it, used it to put gas in a stalled car ( that was still there the next day ) and tossed the can in the weeds, without the cap.
I put my new gas can in my storage box at the rear, where it stunk up the box when the gas heated up in the summer sun.
I'm thinking of putting it back on top of the battery box and hoping for the best.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #4

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Take your empty can and fill it at your destination that way you are not putting a firebomb between you and your tow vehicle.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Ever tried to empty a gas can?
I took my old gas to the recycling centre and they will not take the gas without the can. You would think they would be able to transfer the gas, but did not.
So, to have an empty gas can, I would have to buy one for every trip.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:38 PM   #6

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Question: Would it be safe to carry a gas container on top of the battery box on the tongue of a Scamp 16? I need to figure out where to store spare gas for my generator.
Where do you store your generator?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:42 PM   #7

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Here's my new setup. New rack, Yamaha 2400 inverter/generator, and LowPro Lockdown. I think I'm close to but not over the 350 lb tongue weight rating for my TV.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2376.jpg  
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I heard some places won't sell the plastic cans anymore because of some safety issue. Of course the best gas cans are the metal ones with the spring loaded handle / lid, but they can be more difficult to pour out of. They were the only type gas containers we were allowed to have in the truck shop where I worked.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
When I used to take it along, I always carried the Honda 2k with a full tank. That was good for 11 hours of run time in eco mode. Would refill it when I put gas in the truck.

Have you seen RotoPax? https://rotopax.com/

Made for off roaders, might give you another option for mounting a gas can. Kind of pricey.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #10

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Doug, I was a licensed (A&P) aircraft mechanic for many years. In aviation, as a general rule fuel, either in lines or tanks, was never routed or stored above electrical wires, components, batteries, etc. The possibility of leaks and arcing could be catastrophic. Personally, I'd use a small metal tank and find a better spot for it. Your question tells me your instincts are correct. Travel safe!

Tom K
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:39 AM   #11

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I heard some places won't sell the plastic cans anymore because of some safety issue. Of course the best gas cans are the metal ones with the spring loaded handle / lid, but they can be more difficult to pour out of. They were the only type gas containers we were allowed to have in the truck shop where I worked.
Take a look under your TV, unless it is an antique, it likely has a plastic gas tank!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Take a look under your TV, unless it is an antique, it likely has a plastic gas tank!
two out of four of my vehicles have plastic gas tanks, but we are talking about PORTABLE gas cans here. Of course it was California that first started with regulations on gas cans that required that there be only one opening, therefore no vent to make it easier to pour. My newest vehicle that has a steel tank is a '96.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote