Gel-coat painting? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: R-Vision
Oregon
Gel-coat painting?

Hello all. I just finished patching a hole in the side of my travel trailer. The Gel-coat finish is a lot whiter than the original Color. Is it possiable to paint over the the Gel-coat patch with a color that is close to Original? Thanks for the help.
Jasonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:00 AM   #2

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
They make a tinted gelcoat repair kit that you can use to colour match get the large one though. Remember to do a real good rubbing compound job first to get all the oxide off the original finish in the area to be coated

Kit is mix and match works well

P.S think marine for this kit. Mine was $50.00 and should have got at least two for all the spots we have.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:26 AM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What about a big Bumper sticker?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:21 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonc View Post
Hello all. I just finished patching a hole in the side of my travel trailer. The Gel-coat finish is a lot whiter than the original Color. Is it possiable to paint over the the Gel-coat patch with a color that is close to Original? Thanks for the help.
To answer your question directly... Yes it is possible to colormatch and spray paint the repair area.
You can even have the color directly read and have a custom spray can made for around $25. I think that an HVLP touch-up gun would do a better job. Results can vary from yuck to WOW! depending on the product, the mixer and the painter.
The gelcoat kit might be a better choice though.
How about a theme mural??
Would this spot be an appropriate place to install an access hatch, an external shower, a window?

BTW...Are you talking about an R-Vision?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, painting