gel coat repairs vs fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2003, 01:10 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
gel coat repairs vs fiberglass

I'm a bit confused on how to repair some minor pitted spots on the top of my 73' lovebug. Before I reglue the ensolite liner on the inside, I would like to make sure the outside is repaired. With the liner down, I can see some spots on the inside that appear to be thinner than the rest of the roof. We're talking about maybe a 1/4" to 1/2" diameter spots for the most part. I had my wife run the water hose on top to see if there were any leaks at these spots. Although, it didn't seem to be leaking much I could feel some dampness and a couple of the spots slowly dripped. My gut feeling is that I should fill these spots on the outside with a filler & only use the fiberglass mesh where there's a large area of gel coat missing.
Does anyone know?

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 01:18 PM   #2

Hi Martin
I did that in my 13ft Boler that i have ,Seems to work ok.

Old 08-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #3

Gelcoat and fiberglass repairs

Martin - If the fiberglass is that thin, you may want to put a backing on the inside. I have found fiberglass fabric to be hard to handle when coated with resin, so, if you clean the inside with some acetone, paint it with resin and then apply dry fabric intothe resin with a dry brush it will probably stick. If it seems to not want to stick, use some contact paper over the fabric and let it dry. The contact paper peels off and then you can apply another coat of resin (and put plastic down to catch the drips.) and glue your liner back in place.
If you want to put resin on the top, clean the area and apply resin to the exposed fiberglass. Use some wide packing tape to put over the patch to keep it from running and keep bugs n stuff out. When it is dry and you take the tape off, you can wet sand the area and use bondo to fill in nicks and pinholes. Paint it with something good like rustoleum primer and try to match the rst of the paint. Let it dry, and wax. (The tape thing works well with small dings on the sides too because it allows you to keep the resin in the little holes w/o running down the side of the egg.):zz

Old 08-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #4

Thanks Sam. I'm assuming that the resin you're talking about is the stuff that comes with a fiberglass repair kit from an auto parts store. I will try the tape trick and let you know how it goes. Thanks

Old 08-08-2003, 08:03 PM   #5

Chester, thanks for the encouragement