Generator exhaust concern on trailer tongue. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We had a generator in a vented compartment on our motorhome. One time exhaust accumulated under the motorhome and leaked up into the motorhome setting off the CO alarm. After that I carried an 8' PVC pipe that I slipped onto the end of the exhaust pipe to shunt the exhaust away from the motorhome.

We never ran the generator while sleeping.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There has been a case where the exhaust from a camper killed someone in a tent close by. Monoxide is something that is really that dangerous.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I don't think you want to run a vent stack up from the exhaust. You will A) get more back pressure on the exhaust side. . CO mixes with air and goes where? Right over your trailer.

If anything I would point exhaust down, and be aware of tents down wind. People do sometimes put kids down for a nap in the daytime while camping. Or pets that may be located where your exhaust is going to end up.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:08 PM   #24

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Kevin, I just had a idea. Smell the smoke yet?
On CraigsList you always see fiberglass boats (flat bottom) for sell cheap. I bought one 3 years ago with a trailer for 100 bucks. Find a small one even a dingy would work great. cut the first 3 or 4 feet off the front so it would butt against the camp and to the jack. Bolt in place then take the other half of the boat and cut the bottom out for a lid. Cheap lightweight and....
Or if you want to get crazy, take the back part of the boat say about a foot or so and attach it to the rear bumper. Something like this in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
www.pinterest.com.jpg  
Old 02-24-2014, 12:12 PM   #25

Camping World sells an exhaust pipe that goes UP to the top of the camper.
Gen-turi Generator Exhaust System - Camco 44461 - Automotive Accessories - Camping World
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #26

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Cargo Box - Cargo Carrier | StowAway2.com
Just the box is 299 each. Not sure how much time and money you want to put into it but I thought it looked good.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
There has been a case where the exhaust from a camper killed someone in a tent close by. Monoxide is something that is really that dangerous.
I recall reading about that one as well. Seems every year more than a few campers have died from carbon Monoxide Poisoning due to running generators on or near their RV's. Do a google - surprising number. One such case happened last summer in Ontario - the couple had a generator running outside a few feet from the rear of the trailer - one of them died :-( Question is did they go to sleep willingly or was it the CO that caused them to go to sleep in the first place.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:40 PM   #28

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Kevin, I just had a idea. Smell the smoke yet?
On CraigsList you always see fiberglass boats (flat bottom) for sell cheap. I bought one 3 years ago with a trailer for 100 bucks. Find a small one even a dingy would work great. cut the first 3 or 4 feet off the front so it would butt against the camp and to the jack. Bolt in place then take the other half of the boat and cut the bottom out for a lid. Cheap lightweight and....
Or if you want to get crazy, take the back part of the boat say about a foot or so and attach it to the rear bumper. Something like this in the front.
That pic is of a Lil' Bigfoot with the factory original front utility box. The New Bigfoot peeps do not have them available any longer, I asked.....

Old 02-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #29

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
OK
I think I will just make a tongue box for storage and run the generator away from the camper. Sounds like the best solution.
I love how many minds work out a problem.
Click image for larger version

Name:	17Casita1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	68533
Old 02-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #30

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I use a co detector because I'm also concerned with the exhaust from the propane heater.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #31

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For Perspective.

Death from non-fire related Carbon Monoxide poisoning are relatively rare, about 400 people per year or about one per million. For comparison about 50 people a year die from lightening strikes and 5 people die from snake bites.

As many people die of TB as CO poisoning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #32

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
For Perspective.

Death from non-fire related Carbon Monoxide poisoning are relatively rare, about 400 people per year or about one per million. For comparison about 50 people a year die from lightening strikes and 5 people die from snake bites.

Dunno where you're getting your statistics from, or what exactly the point of the post is.

The increasing prevalence/use of portable generators is well known to be an important cause of many of those CO deaths that do occur, and many more illnesses that don't result in death. I think most here understand that and prefer not to become one of those statistics. This for much the same reasons that they don't stick their hands down snake holes or walk around in lightning storms.

Per your numbers, though:

Assuming your "(only?) 400 deaths per year" applies to, say, 2005:
As reported at this CPSC link, at least 25% of CO deaths that year were directly related to generators. That number includes only those deaths reported as such to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Generator-related CO illnesses/deaths are 99% preventable, but only if folks take the threat seriously as the O.P. here is doing instead of dismissing it as statistically insignificant.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

Dunno where you're getting your statistics from, or what exactly the point of the post is.

The increasing prevalence/use of portable generators is well known to be an important cause of many of those CO deaths that do occur, and many more illnesses that don't result in death. I think most here understand that and prefer not to become one of those statistics. This for much the same reasons that they don't stick their hands down snake holes or walk around in lightning storms.

Per your numbers, though:

Assuming your "(only?) 400 deaths per year" applies to, say, 2005:
As reported at this CPSC link, at least 25% of CO deaths that year were directly related to generators. That number includes only those deaths reported as such to the Consumer Products Safety Commission.

Generator-related CO illnesses/deaths are 99% preventable, but only if folks take the threat seriously as the O.P. here is doing instead of dismissing it as statistically insignificant.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Todays national news brings out that point.

Police and Medics responding to a call of a lady "Passed Out", at the Legal Seafoods Restaurant in NY, had one fatality and more than 20 in the hospital from CO poisoning before all was said and done, all caused by a defective flu. No CO detectors were required by law and none were installed.

Not an RV example, but an clear example of how CO poisoning works, you usually can't smell it until it's too late.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:59 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:

Which one are you recommending?

baglo
Old 02-24-2014, 05:11 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

Pooh-pooing doesn't become any more valid (or less insulting to the O.P.) by adding further, equally irrelevant "statistics" to your earlier post.

That said:

TB deaths have only decreased so dramatically in this country since practical and closely adhered to prevention measures were instituted. Here's hoping that generator-related deaths will some day enjoy a similar dramatic fall from present levels.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #36

Some things just can't be prevented however gassing yourself to death using a generator can. All the warnings that come with the generator means absolutely nothing when they are not read or ignored. Almost every major storm has someone dying because they ran their generator in the attached garage.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Some things just can't be prevented however gassing yourself to death using a generator can. All the warnings that come with the generator means absolutely nothing when they are not read or ignored. Almost every major storm has someone dying because they ran their generator in the attached garage.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep, I agree 100%, but as we all know, there are peeps that think that their own "Common Sense" always trumps most, if not all, of the warnings and recommendations of the manufacturer.

And, when these peeps suggest that anyone else's "Common Sense" is what good decisions are based upon, bad things begin to happen.

I am a California Native and have lived here almost all my life, but I am more afraid of some of the advice given out by the "Common Sens'ers" (?) than I have ever been of earthquakes, floor, famine and even locust attacks.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 PM   #38

Registry
The stat that would interested me and be of some relevance would be how many people have died or been hospitalized for carbon monoxide poisoning out of 1 million "actual" users of generators.

Here in Canada ever year in the winter months when there are power outages the number of people who die as a result on incorrect use of generators is not good and the number that go the hospital is worse!

The symptoms and effects of carbon monoxide in the body can be minor & can go relatively unnoticed for a time but they can also be extremely serious - affecting the brain, heart, nervous system, endocrine system, and other organs - resulting in subtle and not-so-subtle changes to personality, behavior, and health.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Almost every major storm has someone dying because they ran their generator in the attached garage.
Yup one such week-end storm in December took the lives of 5 people in Ontario/Quebec and many many more went to hospital due to running a generator either in the garage or to close to the homes door.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM   #40

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
People make mistakes all the time in camping and other activities, either through inexperience, lack of complete understanding, or they just forget something one time. Been there done that, been lucky enough to survive or have someone point out what I had missed.

It is always useful to share knowledge we have picked up that might help others make a more informed and safer decision. Or to discuss relative merits or risks of different approaches.

People generally come in out of a thunderstorm and not to get under a lone tree for shelter is also widely known. People tend to avoid snakes, and snakes tend to avoid people. Understanding of generator safety is I would say less known and less well understood and can be every bit as dangerous.

OP was looking for suggestions on safety and was getting them, along with some good advice on noise comfort for themselves and others.

I'll add one more, if you seldom really use your generator, break the manual out once a season just to read through it as a reminder. My generator gets run for 1/2 hour a few times a year for maintenance and without a refresher read I would simply forget some of the specifics.
Closed Thread

Tags
generator