Generators and SUV's?? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
Back to the question of a generator & an SUV. I know of more than one owner that keeps a Honda generator is a plastic storage bin either in the back of the SUV or even in the trailer shower. Since the gas cap on the Honda generator can be sealed, there isn't a problem with gas fumes...
Just make sure you have a secure cargo tie down system if you carry it in the vehicle. Bungee cords won't do it. A generator is not something you want flying around in an accident.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #42

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
first....

First let me congratulate everybody on keeping this thread very "civil"...given that it is on such a "hot" topic as generator use...where there are strong feelings on BOTH sides.....

maybe there should be a line drawn across the continent (latitude ?) where below that line generators are "tolerated".....I hate heat and I can see when/where the thinking would get to: "Who cares about noise....I need colder"...like survival, I guess

the problem, and the strong feelings on this issue is when somebody chooses to go "camping" but is not willing to give up ANYTHING he has in his three bedroom house....

where I live I am surprised that generator use is even allowed in parks and recreation sites.....A/C is not needed....ever.....still some "campers" are allowed and run gennies to run the micro, toaster, blender, the kids video games and the big screen TV....

camping? I don't think so...stay home!

when it's dead quiet in a provincial park....I don't care what the decibel level on this or that gennie....you can hear the thing for many hundreds of feet away...so if you want to sit outside, waddya do?....Turn up the stereo though your outside speakers.....(ha, there's one thing that should be outlawed from the get go)...but you can see where this is going

generators...glad I don't need 'em...hate being around 'em
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:11 PM   #43

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have figured out that there is a time to camp and a time to stay home but evidently that fact has not reached the entire US.
We tend to take long trips. As such, we will see a lot of different weather and temperatures. Our last trip, we saw everything from 25F (Yellowstone) to 105F (St George, Utah).

Note, we do not own a generator, don't like them. But we do use our A/C a lot. Notice that Casita comes standard with A/C but no furnace. So apparently, there are quite a few people own rigs with A/C.

When we boondock, which we did on our last trip several nights, we just forego A/C. And you bet, we had electricity hookup in St George, UT!

If we just stayed within our local area, we would seek out high elevation when the weather was hot, and lower elevation when temperatures were cooler. We did this for years in the PNW.

+10 there are lots of restrictions on generators, this is an example from Zion National Park: "Generators are allowed from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m" If you are camping in Zion in the summer, it is extremely doubtful you can keep an RV of any size cool with just running a generator four hours a day. And this is for their "South Campground". The rule for Watchman Campground is no generators allowed. Note, part of Watchman has electric hook ups, but part of it doesn't.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
First let me congratulate everybody on keeping this thread very "civil"...given that it is on such a "hot" topic as generator use...where there are strong feelings on BOTH sides.....

maybe there should be a line drawn across the continent (latitude ?) where below that line generators are "tolerated".....I hate heat and I can see when/where the thinking would get to: "Who cares about noise....I need colder"...like survival, I guess

the problem, and the strong feelings on this issue is when somebody chooses to go "camping" but is not willing to give up ANYTHING he has in his three bedroom house....

where I live I am surprised that generator use is even allowed in parks and recreation sites.....A/C is not needed....ever.....still some "campers" are allowed and run gennies to run the micro, toaster, blender, the kids video games and the big screen TV....

camping? I don't think so...stay home!

when it's dead quiet in a provincial park....I don't care what the decibel level on this or that gennie....you can hear the thing for many hundreds of feet away...so if you want to sit outside, waddya do?....Turn up the stereo though your outside speakers.....(ha, there's one thing that should be outlawed from the get go)...but you can see where this is going

generators...glad I don't need 'em...hate being around 'em
I haven't used my generator for more than a dozen years and have seldom missed it. I don't like lugging it around carrying fuel , etc.
But I just read your post and I now feel compelled to take it with me on my next trip and run it without a cord attached!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:39 AM   #45

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I carry an older Honda 1000 and it weighs about50# (never weighed it for fear I wouldn't want to lift it) and I carry it in my SUV and take it out.
As said most campgrounds have specific hours when they can be run, usually around breakfast or dinner time, for 2/3 hours so one can recharge batteries while cooking meals and such.
The problem for me was that the tank on the generator would only hold enough power to run for 7 hours.
That's OK if I only going off for 3 nights and I just need to recharge battery but then I would need to carry extra gas if staying longer.
Here was my problem...The gas in the generator didn't stink up the SUV (went on a 3 night jaunt and didn't have to bring extra fuel) but last year on a 7 day trip, took a 2 gal. fuel tank and the vehicle stunk of gas and wife got head achs.
I will now not carry fuel and even if it means a 30 mile trip out to nearest gas station to fill the generator I will.
That was my problem with SUV and not when I travel with my truck.
When I did travel with truck I left it right in the bed while running and ran a 12 gage wire extension cord.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 AM   #46

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Nothing wrong with solar panels but I haven't seen a sustainable and portable 2000W+ system which could reliably run an A/C.
Why wouldn't a 1k solar system be able to run a 500 BTU a/c? Not running 24 hours/day, but around 6-8.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Why wouldn't a 1k solar system be able to run a 500 BTU a/c? Not running 24 hours/day, but around 6-8.
I've never seen a 500BTU a/c.
What's that? A dorm fridge with the door left open?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #48

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
A friend of ours has an off grid cabin / home ( Central Wisconsin) with a solar system consisting of 8 --220 watt solar panels and 12 deep cycle storage batteries
His system can run his home most of the time . ( Cloudy Days?)
He heats with propane supplemented by a small wood stove.
He runs his refrigerator on propane
He does not have A/C and relies on 12VDC fans for cooling in the summer. He tried running a small window A/C but it didn't work well.
I believe if you built a big enough solar system you could run an A/C 6 or 8 hours a day but you would need a second trailer to haul it around.
It can be done , I just don't think it is practical
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:59 AM   #49

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Has anyone thought there MIGHT accidentally be a legit situation to use a gen? No; because there's so many "gen haters" here that most wont open their minds to other "possibilities"- such as my scenario from just TWO weeks ago.

Some buddies and myself take our campers to Robards, KY to a radio control model airplane flying field out in the flat cornfields. The hosting club leases a huge amount of acreage for their field complete with a pavilion and sparse electricity.

Both the host and my buds tried to get me to camp nearer to them, but I had my ole trusty 3500/4000 Champion gen and wanted my privacy so I stayed in an area to myself. They argued that other gens were running and it would be ok.

I ran my gen at night because the temps got low at night and I want COMFORT- I DO have the Scamp so why not? Plus, I run a fan at night at home, camping, doesnt matter. I have to have the "white" noise". I ran my water heater and 3-way fridge during the day on propane and at night on the gen. I averaged 9 hours a night with the gen. I would get up in the morning and cook my breakfast in my toaster oven and coffee in the typical dripster. After that, I'd power down the gen and turn on the propane. The battery would carry me during the day as far as water pumps, charging phone, lights, ceiling fan...yes, it was warm during the day.

Everything worked FLAWLESSLY for me for 4 days and nights on the field. Why would I sit/sleep in my $20,000 truck for heat when I could use my $300 generator? Why would I stay home when I had the "comforts" I wanted with the gen and NO complaints? I moved the gen as far away with the 30' cord as I could so I couldnt even hear it at night. (my fan running ). And yes, I use a Carb.Mon. detector. As far as loading? I have a small ramp I built and use a modified winch powered by my cordless drill and attachment- the same I use on the jack on the front of my Scamp.

I love to jump in the middle of the fire during a discussion like this when I'm facing a firing squad. Doesnt matter to me. I spent a WONDERFUL 4 days enjoying my hobby AND Scamping in COMFORT BABY!!

Here's some shots from the field. https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57635565421271
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #50

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
rosa, you're absolutely correct. you simply cannot use the ac while boondocking on solar, period. this is why so many of us who full time have and enjoy our generators, along with everyone else out there camping with us.
i've spent nearly 4 yrs full timing in my 13ft casita PD and my honda 2000 inverter generator has been a life saver on many occasions. pulling off into a truck stop for a much needed sleep or boondocking for over 5 weeks in quartzsite, az, in hot weather, it was imperative that i use my ac (or risk heat stroke).
do some research about the most efficient generator for your ac, then get one. decide if you'll use gas ( i use pure gas with stabil and seafoam) or propane, then go for it. in traveling over 60,000 miles in my trailer, i've rarely found a campground that prohibits them ( although many limit the hours of their use or provide a section of the campground that allows them). while i boondocked in quartzsite, az, i used my honda 2000 about twice/week for an hour or so to keep the battery charged and ran my appliances on propane to conserve battery usage. the honda 2000 inverter generator is very quiet (unlike kids/dogs/loud music/peoples' voices/vehicles driving by, etc) that i've had to endure while camping, LOL
happy and safe travels............
clairemr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #51

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We have a Honda 2000i. I always carry it but rarely use it. We spent three days in a NP CG in Glacier recently. I would run it for 30 minutes in the morning and again in the afternoon to make coffee and charge the batteries. You could only hear a low hum 100 feet away. There was one guy with a larger screamer but it wasn't that big of a deal as he only ran it a short time. We should all consider others whatever we are doing. Hating anything is counter productive especially if it can't feel emotion!!
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #52

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
PICTURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Has anyone thought there MIGHT accidentally be a legit situation to use a gen? No; because there's so many "gen haters" here that most wont open their minds to other "possibilities"- such as my scenario from just TWO weeks ago.

Some buddies and myself take our campers to Robards, KY to a radio control model airplane flying field out in the flat cornfields. The hosting club leases a huge amount of acreage for their field complete with a pavilion and sparse electricity.

Both the host and my buds tried to get me to camp nearer to them, but I had my ole trusty 3500/4000 Champion gen and wanted my privacy so I stayed in an area to myself. They argued that other gens were running and it would be ok.

I ran my gen at night because the temps got low at night and I want COMFORT- I DO have the Scamp so why not? Plus, I run a fan at night at home, camping, doesnt matter. I have to have the "white" noise". I ran my water heater and 3-way fridge during the day on propane and at night on the gen. I averaged 9 hours a night with the gen. I would get up in the morning and cook my breakfast in my toaster oven and coffee in the typical dripster. After that, I'd power down the gen and turn on the propane. The battery would carry me during the day as far as water pumps, charging phone, lights, ceiling fan...yes, it was warm during the day.

Everything worked FLAWLESSLY for me for 4 days and nights on the field. Why would I sit/sleep in my $20,000 truck for heat when I could use my $300 generator? Why would I stay home when I had the "comforts" I wanted with the gen and NO complaints? I moved the gen as far away with the 30' cord as I could so I couldnt even hear it at night. (my fan running ). And yes, I use a Carb.Mon. detector. As far as loading? I have a small ramp I built and use a modified winch powered by my cordless drill and attachment- the same I use on the jack on the front of my Scamp.

I love to jump in the middle of the fire during a discussion like this when I'm facing a firing squad. Doesnt matter to me. I spent a WONDERFUL 4 days enjoying my hobby AND Scamping in COMFORT BABY!!

Here's some shots from the field. https://www.flickr.com/photos/503516...57635565421271
Thanks for the pictures.
What a great hobby. Is that your plane? Oh yea, good comment too.
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:29 PM   #53

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
well said Charlie....

it's all about consideration for others if you happen to be around other people

but some points in this discussion truly amused me....

I ran my gen at night because the temps got low at night and I want COMFORT- I DO have the Scamp so why not? Plus, I run a fan at night at home, camping, doesnt matter. I have to have the "white" noise". I ran my water heater and 3-way fridge during the day on propane and at night on the gen. I averaged 9 hours a night with the gen. I would get up in the morning and cook my breakfast in my toaster oven and coffee in the typical dripster. After that, I'd power down the gen and turn on the propane.

burning a fossil fuel to create electricity to create heat???? that's like one thing too many ain't it??? there's lots of ways to create heat from fossil fuels period....and way more efficiently I bet!

burning gas to produce electricity to run a toaster oven and coffee maker??? I have a propane stove...and a percolator that sits on top of it. How simpler can it get?

burning gas to make electricity to run and electric water heater at night??...when you have propane??? that truly don't make sense to me...my water heater burns some propane to heat the 6 gallons up to temperature....after that the pilot light is enough to keep that water hot, it does NOT cycle unless I use some of that water.....why would I burn gas, making tons of noise BTW to accomplish what my wee little pilot does...and for a fraction of the cost!!!!!!....????...

if somebody has to have noise at night....then maybe they should park/camp near an Interstate....I don't HATE generators...but when I go camping part of it is to hear QUIET....our regular lives are filled with plenty enough of noise already and then some....

if somebody wants to use a generator in an otherwise quiet camping spot and I can't hear it.....good for them....go ahead and run 'er 24 hours a day....happy "camping"

we won't have this discussion much in the near future I bet.....if I can recharge my electric bike using solar (after batteries are topped back up sometime after lunch)....the time of not "needing" generators is closer than we think

bike has a 36V battery, charger for it puts out 42V, inverter creates the AC from my batteries and solar panels....and you can hear birds chirping the WHOLE time...what's not to like...
Attached Thumbnails
bike.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #54

Glad you were amused Franny. I cannot stand using propane in the Scamp. I did NOT and would not get a furnace- unless it was for resale value! We took the gas stove OUT of the Scamp and use an electric "plate" for skillet use. We went all "electric" basically. If I had to resort to propane usage exclusively, I'd sell my Scamp. I'm not a 'boondocker' if no one else has figured that out. I do this outing about once every two years. So that calls for expensive fossil-less investments? Or burning the propane stove all the time? Dont think so. Perculator? Yep, got one for outside campfires at the appropriate time. My goal is to get up, eat quick and get to the hobby...not worry about camping efficiency for 4 days every two years.

BTW, you might want to consider taking the "electric" assistance off the bike and pedal since you're so "efficiency"-conscious. Plus, it would be a lot healthier.

Quote:
it's all about consideration for others if you happen to be around other people

but some points in this discussion truly amused me....

bike has a 36V battery, charger for it puts out 42V, inverter creates the AC from my batteries and solar panels....and you can hear birds chirping the WHOLE time...what's not to like...
Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM   #55

Thanks J. You saw the "meat" of the matter. That's me in the pic but not my plane. That belonged (past tense) to Mack Hodges. He's flown that huge "Enola Gay" B29 at MANY flyins. It had 4 engines over 100cc each. He would drop off a model of a Bell X1. His demos were superb. Unfortunately, he lost an engine on takeoff and crashed over into the crowd destroying the plane but THANKFULLY hurt NO one. He was greatly railed on and finally got out of the hobby which was a double loss.

For anyone interested:
Here's him flying it during the good times at Joe Nall:

Here's the end: (watch the slo mo..you can see the left outboard engine failing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Thanks for the pictures.
What a great hobby. Is that your plane? Oh yea, good comment too.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #56

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Abraham Lincoln said :
" Alcohol has many defenders but no defence "
The same sentiments could equally be applied to generators. Running a generator all night to satisfy some personnal quirk is a choice not a necessity or justifiable.
I too have made excuses for my bad / inconsiderate behavior but I didn't expect people to accept them

Running a generator if you have a medical condition that requires power is one thing , running it just to make noise is another.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 03:27 AM   #57

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We sometimes carry a Honda 1000 generator in our Odyssey SUV behind the 3rd row of seats filled with gas. With the cap in the closed position the generator releases no odor. We also carry a small gas can next to it. It is an odorless can that seals, again no fumes. This year on our race to help out after Irma, we carried a 5 gallon back up can behind the drivers seat. It is the same variety as our little can, again no fumes.

The little gas can and the Honda 1000 ride in separate plastic containers with low sides, not enclosed. Neither moves when driving.

In 2 years we have not used the generator. We have a 5000 BTU AC but rarely use it. As full-timers we chose our climate. I've also noticed we've become less sensitive to warmer Temps. Though we have AC in our FL park model, I am outside working most days and the heat is no longer overwhelming.

Yes you can carry a generator and gas in your SUV without fumes.

When we filled our 5 gallon can I spilled some on the outside. Wiped it down. We filled it just before entering the Campground. When we got there I set it outside over nite. Spillage fumes gone. For the remaining 600 miles you didn't know it was there.

Both gas cans have a controlled filling spout, making pouring virtually mess free.

As to generator noise the inverter generator's are quieter. Regardless of sound level we generally don't let things like that bother us. People sitting around a campfire can be noise and produces more fumes (smoke). Most campgrounds have limited generator hours anyway.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #58

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
I am looking for a ventilated tongue storage box for my generator and extra gas, thinking the box would provide additional noise suppression when running generator. Has anyone tried this?
ripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:15 AM   #59

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
we won't have this discussion much in the near future I bet.....
As it is, there is already less and less folks carrying generators, and I would bet somewhere in the not too distant future there will be no need at all. Everything with RVing is a choice, and if you wish you can choose to use any one of our trailers in style without a generator, with the exception of using the A/C. Solar has made so many great advances and has come way down in price, and is way more self sustaining that using a gas powered gen set. It is also way easier to put to use.

One example is a good friend we camp with a lot who bought a relatively small 23' motorhome, which was well outfitted for its size. They never really paid attention to a lot of the specs it was outfitted with, while considering how they use it. As it turns out, their water heater was electric only, their built-in coffee pot was electric. Basically, the RV was designed for being used on the grid, or with the noisy attached gen set. Well, our camping style is primarily off grid, and they were forced to use the gen set a lot to keep the batteries charged, use hot water or their coffee pot. The always felt guilty running it, as they knew like themselves that others did not care for the unpleasant sound it made. After just one year they set out to find a new RV, and ended up buying a 25' motorhome, and had it well spec'd to work off the grid, with lots of solar and 4 batteries. All our friends and family we camp with are very appreciative. It was a costly lesson for them, but one they are still glad they made, now 3 years later.

I did get A/C on my new trailer, but do not intend to every use a gen set, and if it is needed in hot climates, I will suck it up and find a campground with services. Part of it is that all other aspects aside, I really do not want to have to carry one around.

Again, it really comes down to choice, and how you like to camp. There are CPAP machines that runs off 12V I believe, and if not you could use an inverter off your solar charged batteries. Air conditioning remains the only real reason to have need for a gen set in our trailers, and those camping off grid in these places are not going to affect those who go to cooler climates to avoid the need.

We all have to remember that while we do need to camp in a style that suits our needs, we also have to be respectful of others camping near us, whether it be how we handle our kids, music, dogs, campfires, or gen sets. Happy campers (like happy wives ) around us make for a much better experience.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:41 AM   #60

Name: J Ronald
Trailer: Casita 17 ft. Liberty Deluxe
North Carolina
Gen set

About the enclosed box for the Gen set. You can buy a cover for most small gene and spray with flex seal. My wife made covers for our Gen and 3 gal fuel can with draw strings in their bottoms and coated them with flexseal. They sit on the shelf I put over the propane bottles and stay dry.
J Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator