Generators and SUV's?? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #61

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Sounds like what the RV camping world needs (at least some of us) is a low amp way to gently cool (not blast freeze) air inside the camper only, or mostly, when the air is hottest outside (noon to mid-afternoon?) - something that two common 160W solar panels can handle when the sun is at its brightest (noon to mid-afternoon?). I know at least one person who has installed a mini-split heat pump that seems to be working well for them so far. I occasionally read about new environmentally friendly technologies for home window A/C units where the air cooling component doesn't require much more energy (and results in much less moisture condensation) than the air distribution (fan) component - which should also be feasible for RVs if they can bring them to market in a compact size at a reasonable price. It will be interesting to see what lies ahead for future generations. Growing up, we thought a fan blowing over a sink full of ice was about as good as it could get on a hot afternoon.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #62

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I REALLY doubt Honda, Champion, Generac, et al have read this thread and now shutting down their generator lines as many on here would wish, hope and dream for . I'd like to see written documentation where there's a statement proving that we wont be having this conversation very much longer on generators???

Some situations- such as the one I laid out- makes it impossible to "go to a cooler/warmer" climate when an activity dictates where the location will be. The Champion gen "purs" and starts on the first pull. No expensive batteries, solar equipment to purchase and hook up. Just a simple flip of a switch and she's off and running. My "electric" Scamp becomes as if it's sitting in the best national park hooked up to a power pole. I dont worry about propane inside the Scamp nor need a propane detector.

When I'm in KY at that location, it's a good getaway with friends and life is good! Thanks to my Champion generator. Hats off to their inventors!! They rank right under A/C!!

Honestly?? Hopefully solar will catch up as will more efficient A/C's/heaters. I'll welcome it all with open arms, but it's going to be awhile. So yall just get out your earplugs.

Gens are NOT for "RV'ers" only!!
5 Reasons to Buy a Portable Electric Generator | eBay
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 07:53 AM   #63

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Growing up, we thought a fan blowing over a sink full of ice was about as good as it could get on a hot afternoon.
Sprinklers were da bomb too.

I bet in not too long of time that we will see a more efficient method of cooling. Like you said, maybe not blasting but at least something to make things more tolerable without too much energy usage.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 AM   #64

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
People camp for all kinds of reasons, and for some of them, 120V AC is a must, whether they are on the grid or off the grid. I have friends with a 40 foot motor coach. It has all the bells and whistles, and of course, a built in generator. That coach suits them perfectly. Who am I to impose my beliefs on them? We just do different type of travel.

There are many advantages to camping. Not all of them require "roughing it". There are plenty of people that take the comforts of home with them. As long as they respect quiet hours, I am OK with it.

If I really wanted to be green/minimize my carbon footprint while camping, I'd get a Prius or similar and tent camp.

The mini-split heat pumps are interesting. It will probably take about ten years to take over the RV market.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #65

WELL said Bill! That covers it all. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
People camp for all kinds of reasons, and for some of them, 120V AC is a must, whether they are on the grid or off the grid. I have friends with a 40 foot motor coach. It has all the bells and whistles, and of course, a built in generator. That coach suits them perfectly. Who am I to impose my beliefs on them? We just do different type of travel.

There are many advantages to camping. Not all of them require "roughing it". There are plenty of people that take the comforts of home with them. As long as they respect quiet hours, I am OK with it.

If I really wanted to be green/minimize my carbon footprint while camping, I'd get a Prius or similar and tent camp.

The mini-split heat pumps are interesting. It will probably take about ten years to take over the RV market.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:40 AM   #66

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Abraham Lincoln said :
" Alcohol has many defenders but no defence "
The same sentiments could equally be applied to generators. Running a generator all night to satisfy some personnal quirk is a choice not a necessity or justifiable.
I too have made excuses for my bad / inconsiderate behavior but I didn't expect people to accept them

Running a generator if you have a medical condition that requires power is one thing , running it just to make noise is another.
Love the quote... and I must admit to having been bothered by alcohol while camping MANY more times than by generators!
The noise and behavior associated with inconsiderate alcohol use is far worse, and often dangerous.
Fortunately, neither is a problem very often.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:46 AM   #67

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
[QUOTE=thrifty bill;662260]... If I really wanted to be green/minimize my carbon footprint while camping, I'd get a Prius or similar and tent camp. ..../QUOTE]
We were at a state park camp ground along the gulf coast a couple years back in our 17' EggCamper, surrounded by huge Class A's and 5th wheels with slide-outs galore, when an elderly couple (in their 80's?) backed their Prius into the site next to us, pitched their little two-person tent and called it an early night. Just after daybreak the next morning, I caught up with them while they were packing their tent and meager breakfast supplies back into the rear hatch of their Prius, and I told them how much I admired their ability to camp so lightly. They smiled back and said the Prius was a luxury after tent camping by motorcycle for decades. They were headed on down into Florida and needed to get going so they could hit their next camp site before dark. Ya gotta love their spirit.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:06 AM   #68

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
I love my generator. It gave me a cold fridge, a cool breeze and hot coffee after Hurricane Irma. These simple things make it a lot easier to face a natural disaster.

I had planned to take our smaller (Predator 2500) generator on our upcoming three week camping trip, since we would be travelling in the south and southeast for much of the time and were expecting to do some quick overnight camping, but we lent it to a friend in Naples FL that doesn't have power yet. I just installed a 100w solar system since we will be doing some dry camping in NM and AZ, and didn't intend to use the generator there anyway. But camping is about being prepared, right? After all, you never know when you might need to emergency microwave a Poptart.

Someone asked why not just stay in a hotel if you need a/c. Well, a couple of gallons of gas is a helluva lot cheaper than a decent hotel, assuming you can get a room etc. Try over-nighting at a truck stop in Lakeland FL in the summer if you doubt the usefulness of air conditioning in a small trailer.

We'll just overnight at an r/v park if it's hot enough to need a/c, otherwise we do have 12vdc personal fans and the Fantastic Fan if temps are moderate.

So, if I'm not taking the generator and gas, I can bring another 80 lbs of additional crap with us. I think I'll bring a small gas can, though. Maybe somebody will sell me their obsolete Honda EU2000i cheap.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #69

Registry
If towing a 13ft fiberglass trailer with a 4CYL TV is too big of environmental footprint then just think of the adverse effects of smug pollution...

Old 09-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #70

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
We dislike generators, so we choose not to have one. Living in South Texas, that means a trade off. The trade off is, if we want to go camping from mid April or so until October or so, we will be camping at an electric site and not boondocking. I prefer boondocking, but I can't see the fun in doing so when it's 100F outside. Camping is about outside.

I notice an obvious trend however. Those who are even more hostile to generators generally live in places where an air conditioner is not needed. Please realize the VAST difference in our two climates. I for example can't see the fun in camping when it's 0-10F out, but I'm not judging those who do.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #71

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
two very good points......

I notice an obvious trend however. Those who are even more hostile to generators generally live in places where an air conditioner is not needed. you hit the nail on the head... I did mention a possible "latitude line" earlier.......barring the need for A/C one can "camp" very well without subjecting neighbors to engine noise....so when it's in the mid 70sF and you just set up camp, looking forward to a quiet day and night just listening to nature (birds, wind in the trees, etc) and somebody drives in, sets up and puts out a generator on the left side of his unit...(funny how they never put it on the right side of the trailer....wonder why?).....yep it's irritating....sorry but in those conditions, if you need/want power you should park in a full service campground or find a spot in the wilderness with nobody else around and run your generator all day and night...it's called consideration of others.....I know, I know... that's a "lost art" these days it seems

Please realize the VAST difference in our two climates. I for example can't see the fun in camping when it's 0-10F out, but I'm not judging those who do. now there is an example where generators might be a MUST....just to keep tanks from freezing for one thing. Chances are however that there would not be anybody else around to mind....and even if there was, the other people would most probably be running a genset as well...and/or at the very least they would be INSIDE their trailer where the noise would not be an issue

And now that I think of it....has anybody else noticed that most times you see an RV with a genset running...you never see people sitting outside the RV ???? that's because they're INSIDE....wonder why?

as for the cost of solar??? that must have been a joke, right? I have spent HALF of what a generator would cost me on my system (70W on the roof + 40W deployable)....and as long as I get "some" sun on a trip I can stay out indefinitely...
Attached Thumbnails
wossaaa.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:32 PM   #72

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
As far as reducing the noise a generator makes, there are lots of projects people have done for that by putting the generator inside of a vented box. The Japanese really go all out on it. Visit youtube and you will see many examples of Honda EU2000i generators in sound proofing boxes.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 11:06 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've tried to figure it out.
I can stay here all winter, watching CNN, at home, with the rain falling outside and my furnace keeping me warm, or I can head south and sit in the trailer, watching CNN, with noise from an A/C and a generator.
Hurricanes and forest fires are reducing my options.
Do I watch CNN or Weather Network?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:08 AM   #74

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I've never seen a 500BTU a/c.
What's that? A dorm fridge with the door left open?
Obviously I meant 5000 BTU.

My point is that it is possible to run a small a/c a few hours a day on solar. The biggest problem is probably the limited roof space on a fbg trailer. Renogy sells 280 watt panels for a little over $250. Three or four of these should run an a/c.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:36 AM   #75

Now that's grasping for straws ....left side or right side???? Next time, I will try and put my gen at the doorway so I can use it for a "step". People that are OBLIVIOUS to the non-obtrusive gen setup that I showed, just wants to gripe... I'm glad I have more to do than go to a campground/camping area where there's gens running so I can sit and monitor their AND their owner's usage!

Ohhh...let me add, there's a huge ditch to the left of my trailer where I set generator.... I knew LOTS of other RV's would park there.

Let's see you run an A/C or heater with that solar setup. OHHH...I forget, instead of enjoying the area that's having an event, just drive 500 miles away to find the perfect camping spot!

Did I mention this is "Love your Gen" month? (No sun necessary!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I notice an obvious trend however. Those who are even more hostile to generators generally live in places where an air conditioner is not needed. you hit the nail on the head... I did mention a possible "latitude line" earlier.......barring the need for A/C one can "camp" very well without subjecting neighbors to engine noise....so when it's in the mid 70sF and you just set up camp, looking forward to a quiet day and night just listening to nature (birds, wind in the trees, etc) and somebody drives in, sets up and puts out a generator on the left side of his unit...(funny how they never put it on the right side of the trailer....wonder why?).....yep it's irritating....sorry but in those conditions, if you need/want power you should park in a full service campground or find a spot in the wilderness with nobody else around and run your generator all day and night...it's called consideration of others.....I know, I know... that's a "lost art" these days it seems

Please realize the VAST difference in our two climates. I for example can't see the fun in camping when it's 0-10F out, but I'm not judging those who do. now there is an example where generators might be a MUST....just to keep tanks from freezing for one thing. Chances are however that there would not be anybody else around to mind....and even if there was, the other people would most probably be running a genset as well...and/or at the very least they would be INSIDE their trailer where the noise would not be an issue

And now that I think of it....has anybody else noticed that most times you see an RV with a genset running...you never see people sitting outside the RV ???? that's because they're INSIDE....wonder why?

as for the cost of solar??? that must have been a joke, right? I have spent HALF of what a generator would cost me on my system (70W on the roof + 40W deployable)....and as long as I get "some" sun on a trip I can stay out indefinitely...
Old 09-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #76

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
I notice an obvious trend however. Those who are even more hostile to generators generally live in places where an air conditioner is not needed. Please realize the VAST difference in our two climates. I for example can't see the fun in camping when it's 0-10F out, but I'm not judging those who do.
I don't see it as being hostile (with a couple exceptions), more like being annoyed. And the difference in climate you mention is very true, and running A/C when needed is a valid reason to use one. The issue many of folks have when in our cooler climates, is people running them here for reasons other than use with A/C. Many do nothing to conserve their power reserve, TVs and lights on all the time, temperature cranked 24/7, no LED lights, etc. They often have just a single 12V battery that is often past its prime too.

Some folks with gensets are quite considerate in placement of them and the hours they run them, using quiet inverter styles. Others run them a lot, and feel that the noisy cheap ones are just fine to use.

I like that now most campgrounds seem to have just two 2 hr periods that gensets can be run, often 8-10AM and 6-8PM. This does allow for lots of quiet time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #77

Registry
Unfortunately, it is often true that those who expect others to be "considerate" do so with an exaggerated sense of entitlement and without tolerance.
Demands seldom inure to consideration even in those who are predisposed to give it.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #78

British Columbia
Registry
straws ????

I don't think so.....the reason people put them on the left side is so it is quieter for THEM....not caring too much about the guy parked on the OTHER side from them(his curb side).....your particular set up was fine as you were parked against the bush and there was nobody there.....I WAS talking about campgrounds in general...not your particular situation on a particular day for whatever "event" you were at

I WISH more people would use their generators as a step into their RV....I bet they would not run them very long... or often....LOL

Something else that should be mentioned on this subject.....there are generators and GENERATORS.... On the one side you have a guy with a one or two year old little Honda that just purrrs along at a very low decibel.....and on the other side you have a construction worker who borrowed a 4500W genset from his worksite for the weekend to take the wife "camping"....the muffler is all about rusted through....it's five years old and never had a tune-up.....get the picture? Those are the ones you really remember

As far as being entitled....our Provincial and State Parks all promote their use by us citizens (who pay for them) as a place to "recreate" as close as we can get to "nature".....to me that spells QUIET....I'm not so much as "entitled" as I am "expecting" to get what was advertised and what I paid for.

now as far as that imaginary "Latitude Line" below which, because of the need for A/C, unlimited generator use would be acceptable any day, any hour and for as long as as you want.......then you can draw that line ANYWHERE lower than the 49th parrallel....and that will be just fine with me!
Attached Thumbnails
atluckhc.jpg  
Old 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #79

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
I don't think so.....the reason people put them on the left side is so it is quieter for THEM....not caring too much about the guy parked on the OTHER side from them(his curb side).....your particular set up was fine as you were parked against the bush and there was nobody there.....I WAS talking about campgrounds in general...not your particular situation on a particular day for whatever "event" you were at

I WISH more people would use their generators as a step into their RV....I bet they would not run them very long... or often....LOL

Something else that should be mentioned on this subject.....there are generators and GENERATORS.... On the one side you have a guy with a one or two year old little Honda that just purrrs along at a very low decibel.....and on the other side you have a construction worker who borrowed a 4500W genset from his worksite for the weekend to take the wife "camping"....the muffler is all about rusted through....it's five years old and never had a tune-up.....get the picture? Those are the ones you really remember

As far as being entitled....our Provincial and State Parks all promote their use by us citizens (who pay for them) as a place to "recreate" as close as we can get to "nature".....to me that spells QUIET....I'm not so much as "entitled" as I am "expecting" to get what was advertised and what I paid for.

now as far as that imaginary "Latitude Line" below which, because of the need for A/C, unlimited generator use would be acceptable any day, any hour and for as long as as you want.......then you can draw that line ANYWHERE lower than the 49th parrallel....and that will be just fine with me!
Expectation can only be limited to the rules though, and not to private interpretation, beyond that, consideration must be extended from both sides.
Everybody should have a good muffler though. especially when it gets cold out. maybe gloves and a hat too!
Old 09-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #80

British Columbia
Registry
both sides....

ah, yes...the "both sides" spin....

Tags
generator