Getting access to under Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
We got the tongue and bumper primed and now need to get under trailer to paint the rest of the frame. I was thinking of seesawing on the tires, place jackstands under the frame in back of the axle, then use two floor jacks to elevate the front in an even manner to avoid racking the frame. Then two more jackstands on the main frame element just behind where they appear from beneath the Scamp.
Any thougths, suggestions,or warning? Is my jack location appropriate?I would,of course, place supplemental blocking in addition to the jackstands.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Go For IT!! I'm thinking that IF you didn't need to place the trailer on stands, it might be better, because if its raised on stands the area right under the jackstands contact point with the frame might NOT get painted.... We painted ours from ground level and that was no small feat for a dood of my MAGNATUDE, LOL!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would just hook it up to your tow rig and pull it up on some car ramps.
Click image for larger version

Name:	CarRamps_7383.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	15523
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
[quote]I would just hook it up to your tow rig and pull it up on some car ramps.
Attachment 15523

VOILA !!! A Much More Better mouse trap
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Quick and easy and very safe. Leave it hooked up to the tow rig for extra safety and make sure you put your emergency brake on also.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Escape A 17 ft
Who knows if I did damage or not, but I used a high-lift floor jack recently to get my Trillium up on stands so I could sand the lower half without breaking my back. I had to be very careful where I placed the floor jack since with only one point of contact on the far side, the trailer had a tendency to 'tip' forward and backward... just did it *real* quick!

Once up on the stands, though, I had a good 2 ft. clear underneath the trailer; plenty of room to paint.

~Tim
Attached Thumbnails
trill_stand.jpg  
Tim Ryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Never get under any vehicke until you have Jack Stands in place and a secondary safety precaution. Secondary means that you have an additional hold it in place device, jack, blocks of wood, ramps, etc.

It's your life you R intrusting to a stand and/or jack so the secondary device just might save you when the primary device fails.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17
Mount Horeb, Wisconsin
Kevin,
That's what I like about this board! Why didn't I think of that. Will proceed with caution.
Thanks a lot.
Tony and Darlene
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #9

Tony, I have our 5R on jack stands now with 4X4 blocks on each side as a safety and the egg connected to the truck even though the front legs are down. (The wheels are removed so if it were to come down, I would be a pancake)

The safety blocking insurance is a requirement so I can keep the Italian Princes in the lifestile she is accustomed to.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:57 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
It looks like you've received plenty of good advice on getting the camper safely up in the air. I'll throw in my two cents on the project. We purchased our 02 Scamp five years ago from folks in northern Michigan and, from the rust on the frame, I think they'd traveled quite a bit on salted roads.

From my experience, a wire brush cup on a 3/8" drill worked well for removing the rust. I then prepped the frame with Metal Ready (a weak acid), painted it with POR15 and used TopCoat as a final protective layer. The materials from the POR15 folks ran around $75 - not cheap but the frame looks as good today as it did back then and this definitely was not a 'fun' project that I'd want to undertake again any time soon.

Good luck - Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #11

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
First off, as a roll preventer, if your trailer has an emergency brake (cable from trailer to tow vehicle that when pulled puts the trailer brake on full force) you could pull that pin and let the trailers brakes hold it in place.

Now, on the frame painting. I live in NM and here we don't get bad rust. That said, my frame has surface rust. What I'm not clear on is how to deal with the space between the frame and the trailer. It seems to me this would be a likely place for rust problems. . . .but would require taking the frame off. What about sealing with caulk the gaps? I dunno - I probably won't do anything, but am curious....

-Kyle

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #12

The Camper Emergency Break-A-Way cable and unit.

When this is activated it takes Forward Movement of the camper for the brakes to be applied therefore activating this unit when parked does nothing except run down the battery that it is connected to and if you have the cable plugged into the tow vehicle it will run that battery down also.

When I installed our breakaway unit (with onboard battery) it stated to “NOT” manually activate the device because it could cause some harm.

Tags
scamp