Getting ready for the road - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #41

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Bob, once again this may sound stupid. I can't tell by the description of the light fixture if the bulbs are replaceable. Since you have experience with this particular fixture can you tell me?
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 AM   #42

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
If you have missing or older fixtures it is often cheaper to just replace the entire incandescent fixture with a new LED version.

These are the ones I have been using with good results. At about $14 each it's hard to justify using old fixtures and adapter style lights. The vendor also has a dual light version for about $24

68 LED RV Dome Ceiling Lights camper Trailer Marine Boat Cargo 12V Interior ZE | eBay

I have installed at least 20 of these in Scamps, BigFoots, Hunters and even in a 2013 Coleman hybrid.
Darn it Bob, Seller from EBay does not ship to Canada. It looks like a great LED light, so will continue searching. Seems nice and bright. Jim
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:53 AM   #43

Florida
Registry
Jim, are you running new wires against bare fiberglass before wall covering?
Old 11-05-2012, 07:57 AM   #44

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The lights fixtures I mentioned use "Festoon" type LED's with a standard base for that style lamp. They can be put in backwards at the factory so, if they don't light the 1st time they are turned on, quickly reverse them in the socket even before checking your wiring.
BTW: Never leave the power ON for a reversed LED, some, if not all, will fry themselves.

As to your other Q:
I used to do a lot of mini-RV repairs but have stopped doing structural work, especialy on stickies. Mostly I now do remodel and update/upgrade jobs. It used to be for fun and profit, now it's mostly for fun!!!!

Heres a link to a few I have done:

Hunter Compact II pictures by advocateone - Photobucket
Pictures by advocateone - Photobucket
1978 Sunrader pictures by advocateone - Photobucket

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:00 AM   #45

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Did you try looking for that same light on eBay.CA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmied View Post
Darn it Bob, Seller from EBay does not ship to Canada. It looks like a great LED light, so will continue searching. Seems nice and bright. Jim

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #46

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat futrell View Post
Jim, are you running new wires against bare fiberglass before wall covering?
Cat, No but will be running wires on the inside between the foam and panelling for future lighting. Why do you ask?
But I just installed a switch for the exterior light which I can operate inside Bigfoot....very time consuming job, as had to cut the interior panel (no problem as I will be painting the interior anyways) in order to route the wire to the switch. When I wired everything together, the blue connector for the switch was too long to mount on the solid wall, so had to relocate the switch under one of the cabinets and drill a hole so that the connectors would fit in place....seems like when you start one project, it can get more complicated...had to go back to my electrical how to do book in order to get the switch operating correctly.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:03 AM   #47

Florida
Registry
Bob, would you look at another thread of mine and offer your opinion, please?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-55234.html
Old 11-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #48

Florida
Registry
Jim, The reason that I asked is that I am running wires on fiberglass before putting up wall covering. Electrical tape doesn't hold wires in place against the fiberglass as well as I would like. I'm sure I will disturb them when putting up ensolite.

Do you have any pics of the seperate (remote) switch. I would like to add a porch light with and inside switch.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:20 AM   #49

British Columbia
Quote:
Jim, The reason that I asked is that I am running wires on fiberglass before putting up wall covering. Electrical tape doesn't hold wires in place against the fiberglass as well as I would like. I'm sure I will disturb them when putting up ensolite.

Do you have any pics of the seperate (remote) switch. I would like to add a porch light with and inside switch.
Cat, I have a few pics so will download later.... the black wire coming into the outside light first has to go to one side of the the light switch, (not directly to the light fixture) and then another black wire is hooked up to the fixture from the other terminal at the switch. The white wire goes directly to the fixture from the incoming wire that was originally wired to your existing fixture. Hope I explained this enough for you to understand, if not let me know.
There is a very sticky tape, its red in colour and obtained from building supply store, eg home dept, lowes....so will probably stick to your fiberglass walls. Jim
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #50

Florida
Registry
Thanks Jim, look forward to seeing pics. I am starting from scratch. No existing wiring. Closed up every hole in shell. This has been a compete frame off restore and I am feeling way over my head at this point. So very confused about this whole wiring thing and now a big (for me) door problem. Totally overwhelmed. any pics or info that you can share will be received with gratitude.

Cat
Old 11-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #51

British Columbia
Cat, really like your picasaweb....have to learn how to post pics by using it, as I can load pics as I go, rather than posting individual pics....tips would be helpful on how to download pics to it...thanks
I have not taken it off the frame as it seems to good condition, but your restore seems a lot more work than mine, but just take it easy, one step at a time, and keep asking questions.
The wiring from the battery was 16 gauge, and now I am upgrading to 8 to the new PD4045 converter and will be running wiring under the trailer, but enclosing the wire.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #52

Florida
Registry
Jim,

Thanks for your encouragement. Unfortunately I didn't know to take pics of some things before the tear down and now while putting things back together sometimes I don't stop to take good pics.

Ill send you a private message about picassa.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #53

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Wiring LED fixtures

To answer your earlier questions all light fixtures need a ground and hot wire. In the case of LEDs the power levels are very low, typically the level of 1/4 amp per bulb.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #54

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
So very confused about this whole wiring thing
Cat, if you havent seen it yet the Scamp manual which you can download from their website does have a wiring diagram in that may help make things a little clearer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #55

Florida
Registry
Thanks Carol, will check that out.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #56

Florida
Registry
Carol,

Don't know what my problem is - I just looked at that diagram and feel more confused than ever. I may just have to find someone here locally to help me. For some reason I can't get my head wrapped around electrical. Just when I think I'm starting to get it I realize that I don't! Ugh
Old 11-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #57

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Don't know what my problem is - I just looked at that diagram and feel more confused than ever.
Cat, I understand completely! Electrical isnt something worth taking a chance on if at all confused about how it needs to be done in order to be safe. I have done and do most of the work on my trailer myself but when it comes to electrical - other than changing a light fixture, adding a fan & solar, changing a battery or adding a 110 exterior outlet I would be very uncomfortable doing more complicated changes and turn to someone who actually knows what they are doing. Wouldn't even think about changing out the converter for example without a pro to at least oversee my work.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #58

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Cathy there is a lot of good info in regards to 12V usage and wiring at The 12 Volt Side of Life. There is a part one and two - both worth reading.
Carol,

I reread the 12 volt side of life again and things are starting to make sense. Thanks again.
Cathy
Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Carol,

I reread the 12 volt side of life again and things are starting to make sense. Thanks again.
Cathy
Some good stuff on YouTube, too. This one is basic.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #60

Florida
Registry
Tom,

Thanks for that link, that guy is easy to listen to. Making more sense..