getting water down the shower drain - Fiberglass RV
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 05-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: scamp
Indiana
getting water down the shower drain

Like apparently a number of people my shower drain is a bit above the floor of the shower and so it leaves 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of water when I am done. It also like collects dirt.

I have see several threads on this problem in several FGRVs. About half being scamps like mine. And none of the fixes seems doable and very expensive. It looks mine would involve completely replaceing the shower floor. Not reasonable. So I thought I would have to live with it. Until I realized I was defining the problem in terms of the solution and not the problem.

The problem is that the water doesn't all drain, not that the drain is a bit higher thant he floor. Thaat problem causes the key problem. The problem is that I need to get rid of the water and I solved that a totally different way. The scamp has an additional pump to take water from the shower drain and pump it up into the gray water tank. That means that there is a pump sucking water out of the drain. So there is suction at the drain. If I can suck the water into the drain then my problem is fixed.

All I had to do was harness the existing suction. What I did was got a rubber stopped that would fit the drain. And then I got some clear tubing, in this case 1/2 inch outer diameter. I cut off a short length of it. Then I drillled a 1/2 inch hole in the stopper. Put the stopped in the drain, start the pump and then use the end of the hose to pull all of the extra water off the floor. Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
0505201830.jpg   0505201830a.jpg  

0505201831.jpg  
computerspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If the shower pan (AKA floor) is proper and the pump is working then all the water should go down the drain even if it is a few inches higher - unless the trailer is tilted too much. So for a tilted trailer, the suction tube is handy.. but so is a towel. Now that you have the water draining, you can clean that thing! LOL
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
If the shower pan (AKA floor) is proper and the pump is working then all the water should go down the drain even if it is a few inches higher - unless the trailer is tilted too much. So for a tilted trailer, the suction tube is handy.. but so is a towel. Now that you have the water draining, you can clean that thing! LOL

Not sure what you mean by proper. Proper would be the drain in the floor being lower than the floor (pan) I find that a lot of these are not.

Actually in part you hit on why I was doing this. I have been needing tl clean on this a lot more. Actually a big part of the dirt comes from working a search and rescue incident where a number of people with muddy shoes were using the potty. Cleaning works so much better if you can just rinse it down the drain. I decided that cleaning was going to have to happen more often and that to have cleaning be easier I need to have the water going down the drain.

As I said the water problem leads to a build up of dirt. And that is causing dirt and other problems. The problem with the towel idea, which I have used a few times, is then you have to deal with a wet dirty towel. But I have been planning work work on cleaning the whole thing. Especially since I will probably be doing some traveling with a kid. If it were not for the convid-19 thing that would already be happening some. And that means more use of the shower and needing a cleaner bathroom than a bachelor needs. ;-) And I was deciding it was to dirty for me.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:18 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Depending on the exact level of my Scamp, not all water will flow toward the drain. To take care of it, I use a squeegee that is always at hand, hanging on the shower wall by means of a suction cup hook.

Also, do not forget the screen that protects the pump and needs to be cleaned periodically.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:29 AM   #5

Indiana
[QUOTE=Paul O.
Also, do not forget the screen that protects the pump and needs to be cleaned periodically.[/QUOTE]

I clean that every time I head out ;-)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:34 AM   #6

Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
Depending on the exact level of my Scamp, not all water will flow toward the drain. To take care of it, I use a squeegee that is always at hand, hanging on the shower wall by means of a suction cup hook.

Tried the squeegee thing. Was a total failure. My center drain in actually the highest stop on the floor. I tried to invent a squeegee that was like formed to make this work and still could not make it work. As I said with the trailer fully level I end up with a quarter of an inch of water all around the drain with the lip of the drain being just at the water level.

Actually I have thought that if I need to I could like add a squeegee to the end of hose to make this faster.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 13 Layout B
Washington
We all have our challenges keeping a wet bath clean. I think this solution is brilliant and I'm going to try it. Thanks!
sweendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
Don’t you just love beating the laws of physics using the laws of physics? Good job!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote