Giveaway - defunct 1982 13' Burro frame - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1982 Burro
Arizona
Giveaway - defunct 1982 13' Burro frame

Defunct it is. I have other words but won't use them here. Many frame cracks and horrible repairs leaves a useless frame with a good axle and tires with new bearings. Yours free if you pick it up. I'm in Payson, AZ. PM me if you're interested. Four pictures of impending disaster if trailer continues to be used. It won't. I believe I've found another solution for a new frame. I still have some rotten floor to deal with too. If I don't hear from someone that could use the axle in a month or so, off to the junk yard it will go.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3034.jpg   DSCN3033.jpg  

DSCN3039.jpg   DSCN3040.jpg  

callison82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 07:54 PM   #2

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
How in the world does something like that happen? And on both sides of the tongue with cracks in multiple locations? Abuse from too many rough roads? Inferior metal? Poor construction? Water collecting within the channel and allowing rusting/weakening from the inside out? Yes, it's 35 years old, but in a dry climate like Arizona you wouldn't expect metal fatigue and structural deterioration to such an extent? Or did it spend its younger years elsewhere?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Arizona
We've only had the Burro for four years. It was parked in high weeds when we bought it and now I know why! I also knew zip point zero about trailers at the time. It was in the high meadows of Yosemite when we bought it and it was pretty much trashed. I spent a small fortune replacing or fixing nearly everything inside, adding a battery/inverter/converter system that could run a small refrigerator etc. Then it was off to Yellowstone. We had a disaster every day of the trip with the last insult being the wheel bearings failing in Donner's pass. Though they had just been inspected, greased and deemed okay, they were not. That little problem turned into about $2300 overall in repairs including the $800 tow to Tracy, California and several trips from Arizona to California to get it fixed. The little beast has been the least enjoyable project I've ever been involved with. I would gladly have pushed it over the cliff in Donner's pass but my wife insisted that we could get it fixed if we kept at it. Four years later we're still at it and we've only used it four times. We're just going to stick the shell on top of a commercially available trailer and then replace the interior plywood where it's rotten or the entire floor if necessary. It's going to look awkward sitting on a 16' trailer but at least it will be well supported by a new frame. $11,000 and counting...

I should probably add that if you have a Burro of this vintage, it's worth taking a look at the frame.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Why don't you use this frame as a template, and have a new frame custom built. You can reinforce it as you want. Then you will have a great trailer.
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #5

Arizona
The cost if prohibitive locally to fabricate a new frame. Liability issues according to the only welder in the area that is certified. Home Depot has some nice Karavan trailers and we'll just stick the shell on one of they're larger ones and be money ahead.
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Then check w welders in other areas. Chk RV shops, see if they have someone. Since you have the old frame to match, should not be too difficult. Given that you have done quite a bit of work to the trailer itself, your Burro will not be worth much bolted to a utility trailer. Good luck
Jim Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 13 ft ('Lil Eggo')
Oh, I think there's something to be said about having a little additional space for storage containers, an AC mounted outside, bike rack, canopy, etc. Many times I wish I had just an extra couple of feet. If it's done well, it could be worth more to some...just my opinion...
Sharon W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #8

Arizona
Sharon, I agree. We're already planning on adding some legs to the ramp so it can function as a deck. The side rails could become porches etc. Lots of options!
Old 08-13-2017, 04:15 PM   #9

Ooh, a deck...SWEET! Great idea! Please post pics when you get it done, love to see what you do. I've had a Uhaul for 12 years or so, and have done a ton of work to it. They will never be worth the time and money we put into them, and I figure if I'm gonna keep her, might as well do her the way I want her! If my frame/ axle ever goes, this is probably what I would do too, getting more space for add ons, and also getting rid of weird sized wheels...As it is, it's still worth about 4x what I paid for it originally...
Old 08-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
It will be a toy hauler!

Sorry to hear of all your troubles and expenses. Maybe your tale will help someone avoid a similar problem set.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #11

Smile

I was just thinking the same thing, Mike, esp. if it were a Uhaul!
Why not get a 20 footer, throw a motorcycle on that baby!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #12

Arizona
All my toys these days are musical instruments. My last motorcycle departed earlier this year after surgery to remove three bones from my left hand made it way too painful to push on handlebars. So... not a toy hauler in that sense. In any event, the least costly and reasonable choice available to me is the 16' Karavan that Home Depot sells. That wouldn't leave enough space for a motorcycle and the sidecar rig I had wouldn't even have fit on a 20 foot trailer/burro combo plus the weight would have been troublesome. I lack a really strong truck to tow with. My 2004 Tundra V6 has hauled the Burro in the past without too much trouble but the new rig will be heavier so only a road trip will determine whether I'll have to upgrade to a newer and more powerful vehicle. Hopefully not, I'm retired. I don't know why they call it "Fixed Income" when it's so obviously broke.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:46 AM   #13

Name: Lars
Trailer: Lookin
Manitoba
I've thought about an add on project as well. Range from an egg, to maybe a teardrop from CLC. I think it will be an opportunity buy. Whats available when i can splash the cash. When i am pencilling thoughts out though, i get concerned about too much stuff. I think i will leave room at entry and room for a removeable locker/chest or two for storage. modular.
LarsLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #14

Arizona
The frame now has dismantle registration so a one-trip pass gets you an axle/frame with tires that have < 4000 miles and axle bearings that < 2000 miles. Such a deal. Even if someone just came and undid the axle and took that, I'd be good with disposing of the remainder of the frame.

Tags
burro