Glazing bead - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Trailer: Play Pac
Glazing bead

I need to replace the glazing beads on my Playpac windows. Checking online, there are only about a million different ones. My head hurts...

I tried to get an old piece out and I can tug and pull but its in there good. Is there a trick other than removing the whole window? I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than do that.

One of my windows has NO window glazing at all and the rest of the windows looked to be patched up here and there over time with silicone...

Called a local auto glass shop and they won't deal. Called an RV repair place and I can forget that also.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
If it's Hehr glazing bead, it's going to come out. Prying up at a mitre is OK and you can try grabbing it with needlenose pliers. You need only a piece 1/2" long--big enuf to avoid loss if you take or send it to a distributor to ID the sectional measurement. However, replacing it would presuppose getting the old stuff out and this is usually pretty easy--grab the end and pull. I don't see how the removal of the "window" (glazing from frame? window frame from trailer) would expedite the replacement. Can you post a picture of what you're dealing with?

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #3

Jack, I was using needle nose players and it won't budge. I'm not sure how to post a photo from my iPad. I keep thinking that maybe the bead is one of those that goes all the way under the glass?
Old 11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #4

Delaware
I'm not familiar with the "shapes" of flexible seal which wrap around the glazing material. Do they have another designation besides "glazing bead"? Could the designation be "glazing channel" or "gasket"? Everything I've seen listed as glazing bead has a "C" or cove shape which seats against the glazing, the recess between glass and outer lip of frame, and the very edge of the lip.

jack
Old 11-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilla View Post
Jack, I was using needle nose players and it won't budge. I'm not sure how to post a photo from my iPad. I keep thinking that maybe the bead is one of those that goes all the way under the glass?
The only way I know to post a picture with an IPad is to use the fiberglassrv iPad app. The advanced option will let you do it. Download the app and try posting and you will see what I mean. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Delaware
Look like this?Hehr #H110-222

referred to as glass seal.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #7

Jack, I don't know if it looks like that at all as I can't remove it to see. I've tried to use the forum's app and am unable to for some reason. I can read posts but find no place to send one. My windows aren't Hehr windows.

This is just an example of the many different types I've run across. I'm afraid I just might have one of those that goes all the way under the glass but I'm unsure. I suppose there isn't any way to know except to remove a window and I'm sure not looking forward to that...

Window Replacement Components
Old 11-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #8

Delaware
I'm thinking directing your question to Playpac owners is the way to go as many of us only know a repair subject as it touches on our brand of trailer. Something like "Playpac owners, please help!" Or maybe "How do I repair the windows on my Playpac?" There may be a seat of the pants expert here to whom "glazing bead" means nothing because that's not the item required.

jack
Old 11-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #9

Jack. Good idea about calling out to the Playpac owners. Glazing bead is the very item I'm looking for however. Here is heat another website that uses that exact term:
Interstate RV Metal & Supply
Old 11-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #10

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I found an old thread where a Playpac owner is removing a streetside window- there are pictures there and I don't see any gasket at all.Thought you might take a look and see if the window/unit pictured is anything like yours...her very first post contains a link to lots of pics of her trailer, too.

Here's the link- the window closeups are on page 2: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...edo-30276.html

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #11

Thanks Francesca. I wrote to Bonnie privately and hope she gets my message. There had to be something in there otherwise the windows would be loose and rattle and water would sit in there. There are tiny weep holes but the must get stuck or something because water sure came thru in mine.

Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Well, Bonnie answered and its as I feared. The glazing strip wraps all under the glass so it can't come out unless you pull the window. Boohoo....
Old 11-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #13

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Look on the bright side:
At least now you know why they slathered all that goop in there!

My advice would be to dig/cut out all the old crummy stuff you can, down to the old rubber, then recaulk with rubber caulking. I know this isn't "correct", but unless you're expecting the Queen of Correct Window Resealing to perform an inspection, who cares?

In my book: if it doesn't leak, it's fixed.

The main thing is: It's campable!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #14

That's exactly what I'll have to do. Maybe I can find rubber goop to match.