Goodbye sink, and good riddance - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #1

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
You and me are through. You’re nice to have, you look pretty, but we never use you. You take up valuable counter space, and you are the source for terrible water leaks. We do not find out about the damage you do until it is too late. If we do use you we now must store used water until we find someplace to dump it. You and your closest friend, the 12-gallon tank, cost me too much. Face it, sink, you are a magnificent redundancy. Your job can be easily accomplished by other means.

I therefore have decided to replace you with something that will give me far more happiness: a 5-gallon bucket and a dinette.

The two most frequent things I do in my trailer are sit, and sleep. Unlike you, sink, a dinette is always there for me. It never needs refilling. It doesn’t leak. It lets me sit down to peel the carrots, or brush my teeth with a cup of water, or use my laptop. It allows me to have the sleeping area always prepared for sleep.

Your cousin the stove heats up water just fine. I keep the bucket outside for rinsing the few eating tools we wash. If I need a real sink every campground will have one. Walking is good exercise and what are we doing in the great outdoors anyway?

Adios, sink. You won’t be missed.
Attached Thumbnails
cabnt08.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 1970 (Circa) Compact Jr and 1993 Casita
I agree. Our sink now holds our paper cups, napkins and plastic forks, spoons and knives. Not sure if we will use it this summer. `Water, water everywhere` is not my idea of fun!
Mrs. C.
Ricky 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sink replies, "NO, don't pull the plug on me!!"

CindyL
Old 05-13-2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Heh! Heh! Heh! Hey, you have no mercy!

I did the same to our Scamp. No more sink. No more fresh water tank. No more pump. No more hoses. No more grey water tank.

We did miss the sink though, after a time, when enroute or touring, as in a Wal Mart overniter. So, I found a defunct stainless steel electric fry pan with a nice top and made the top into a shallow sink. It drains into a 2 1/2 gallon jug (a free-bee mustard container from a restaurant) secured to the cabinet under the sink.

For our water supply we work with a couple of 6 gallon containers in the tow vehicle and a couple of 1 gallon containers for in the trailer. One is for good water used for coffee and tea, the other for not real good water for washing dishes, bathing etc. We also have two tea kettles for heating water with the same distinction.

It has worked so well in our Scamp, I am planning to make a similar mod to our Avion that we use for longer stays. Why carry all that junk that just complicates my touring/camping experience?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Outfitter Michiganni Truck Camper and 13 ft Scamp
I'm happy to hear I'm not alone. We have a new-to-us Scamp. We plan to remove the sink, pump, and water tank. Years ago we had an Outfitter camper custom made w/o the sink and space heater. We've never missed them a moment. And we loved having more storage and counter space and so little in the way of water splashes inside. We did have the water tank, pump, and facet, but RARELY ever used them. I'll be curious to find out whether the camper will sell for our asking price (TBD) w/o the sink, or whether we'll want to install one to satisfy the buyers.

Leata
Leata & Bobby G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #6

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
I built a cover for my sink and often use it as a work surface. I still like having the sink there for tooth brushing, final rinse of glasses and such, getting water PRN, etc. The stove, so far, I haven't found a use for. I like cooking outside, even at home. I'm guessing that if I was rained in for a morning, I might make coffee inside but that's about it. I can't imagine cooking something smelly or greasy and getting the cooking funk in our lovely rat fur.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 09:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
I will keep the sink, but ditch the water tank and hand pump. Those times when there is water hook-up; will use that. Otherwise, I find I use water from a jug when camping.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
We have a sink, and wouldn't do without it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP7838_sm.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	28170

It is stainless steel, there is no grey water tank -- we send it outside to a container. A cover was supplied to provide more counter space when the sink is not needed. What's not to love?

Brian
Old 05-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #9

New Mexico
Registry
No sinking feeling here, guys: No more sink. I sink we vill shur-vive.
Attached Thumbnails
dine12.jpg  
Old 05-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I just saw a pretty cool collapsible one at Target today. I think I will rehome the big plastic one that Kevin bought 3 years ago that we have not used. I need the closet space. If we need a portable sink, that collapsible one is the one I want.

CindyL
Old 05-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Myron Leski...How could you sink to such an unsinkable depth??? I suppose you can always rub the dishes clean with sand
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:16 AM   #12

New Mexico
Registry
Youch, Alf! You're saying you think I didn't know what I was sinking? The sands of time could never scrub away lingering thoughts of cracked connections to shore water or plug fears of overflowing containments. My new love, Miss Dinette, will soon be at my side. She will serve me well, a mistress for all seasons, never too hot or cold, always calling me to come over and willing to meet my needs, a versatile, more welcoming partner than Miss Sink ever was.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Literary genuises, me thinks!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Seems like we're sinking to a new level here...lol.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM   #15

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Yea . . .plumb crazy
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #16

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Sounds like you've fallen for that dinette gal, hook line and sinker.

I guess those of us who still like Miss Sink are a bunch of sinkheads. But at least we have an easy time of washing, so we are not dirty rotten sinkers!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote