GPS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
GPS

I want a RV GPS, I'm leaning towards a Garmin RV770 LMS. I noticed that the 780 is about $100.00 more plus a newer unit. Can anyone that has used these units comment on their differences or if the 780 is worth the extra money?
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I have an older Garmin that has thoroughly impressed me over the years. I have not used these specific units.

Their web comparison tool indicates that you will get the same screen and hardware with both models. They are both compatible with Garmin's BC 30 backup camera.

Garmin RV GPS Comparison

According to the comparison tool, the 780 shares every feature the 770 has except the "LiveTrack via app", which is apparently only provided on the 770. The 780 adds "3-D buildings and terrain" and "Mile marker info - RV".

Quote:
Use Garmin LiveTrack to Track Activities in Real Time
Let your friends and family track your activities in real time using LiveTrack on Garmin Connect™ Mobile.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:26 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've tossed my TomTom in a box for recycling since buying my 2020 Highlander with Apple Play. I now use Google Maps from my iPhone, on the Toyota display. I have turn by turn audio and it tells me which side of the road my destination is on.

I don't have to pay Toyota to update their maps app. I'm lov'n it.
Old 09-17-2020, 06:15 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I've tossed my TomTom in a box for recycling since buying my 2020 Highlander with Apple Play. I now use Google Maps from my iPhone, on the Toyota display. I have turn by turn audio and it tells me which side of the road my destination is on.

I don't have to pay Toyota to update their maps app. I'm lov'n it.
I would agree with Glenn. I stopped using my Garmin after it put me in precarious situations and at times, provided ridiculous directions. Like the time my spouse wanted to go to a Walmart in Pensacola, FL. The Garmin announced very early “In 1/2 mile, turn right on” whatever the name of the street was. So we were keeping an eye on the right at an intersection where the Walmart was on the left. My fault, didn’t notice it. But we went a block and were told by the Garmin to make three consecutive right hand turns bringing back to the same intersection but now looking across the highway at the Walmart.
Google maps is updated all the time, has traffic information, and gives me stupid or wrong information far less often than the Garmin did. And when it needs to be updated, it does it by itself. I do not have to plug it into a computer, go to a website, and wait an extended period of time for “updated” maps to load. Furthermore, I was able to add Points of Interest (POIs) to Google maps, specifically low clearance bridges in the US and Canada to Google maps so that I don’t have to worry when towing my (taller than other Escape trailers with Jack antenna) 5.0TA in unfamiliar localities.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Mississippi
GPS

We ordered a RV 770 from rockingdeals4you for $259.00. We have email confirmation for the order and payment information. A week later it hadn't shipped we had a email saying they no longer have the units. If you look on their website now they show they have them but the price is $379.99! We found another one but are considering filing a complaint with the BBB.

Curious about the Apple play and iPhone gps use. Our TV has apple play, we have iPhones and wifi in the TV. I may try to educate myself on the use of this setup. Our TV GPS is one that I dislike more than any GPS I've ever used.

TV is a 2018 Chevy 3/4 duramax TV itself is great.
snuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
They are both compatible with Garmin's BC 30 backup camera.
Good feature. The BC 30 is wireless & can give you a view of what is behind the trailer. You only need a 12V power source.

The 770 has been discontinued.

On edit, I see the 770 is still available on Garmin's site. I can't give you a US price though.
https://buy.garmin.com
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote