GPS antitheft tracking device for Trailer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #21

Name: Kenji
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
What does that mean .? Are you storing dead bodies in your trailer or are you implying that your trailer is more valuable than a human life. In either case it scares the H_ LL out of me. One more reason for me to stay out of Arizona.
Any stolen object is worth more than the "person" who stole it.
If you fear what I just said, then you must be a trailer thief.

Also, I am in Michigan right now, and I drive everywhere.
What's wrong with Arizona?
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:28 AM   #22

Registry
Another view point.
The cost of insurance?? It's pretty cheap, my full coverage is only about $50 to $100 per year for a trailer rider. Pretty cheap, I have no idea what the theft insurance alone would be but I bet it's pretty small. Why would that be? Is it because there's a lot of trailers stolen every year? or is a travel trailer theft a fairly rare occurrence? How many trailer thefts have been reported here on this web site per day?
Life is a risk, how many people get killed walking across the road every day?
Now estimate your chances of getting killed walking across the road vs the chances your travel trailer will stolen.

As the words of a song once said "paranoia will get ya".
Old 04-14-2016, 11:01 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
Any stolen object is worth more than the "person" who stole it...

I know of very few penal codes, ancient or modern, in which petty theft is a capital offense. I hope I am detecting a bit of hyperbole here…
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post

I know of very few penal codes, ancient or modern, in which petty theft is a capital offense. I hope I am detecting a bit of hyperbole here…

I think the implication is that a thief is nothing but a piece of crap.....

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 04-14-2016, 11:46 AM   #25

Arizona
Registry
Quote:

Hey now, I never said the bodies wouldn't still be breathing. Walking and stealing however would be off the list of abilities from then on.

Also note the quotation marks around the word person. I am a good honest person, I don't lie, and I don't steal. Anyone who would do such things under any circumstance is a subhuman to me. It's more of a point being made than anything.

The truth is though, I would much rather break some kneecaps and not even get my belongings back, than I would have the police hand my stuff back to me without my involvement. Everyone has their own opinions and reasons. Everyone has their own agenda. Mine is don't cross me. I respect people, I respect their choices. I let people live how they want (within reason,if you are a crook that isn't going to fly with me), and I only wish for the same back to myself. I don't dictate to people how to live, or what color is socially acceptable for them to paint their house with. My limits are simple really. As soon as someone crosses that barrier by stealing from me _I_ will be the one to make them wish they hadn't.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:47 AM   #26

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
I think the implication is that a thief is nothing but a piece of crap.....

Right!
I would never steal anything from anyone. That is an incredible violation to that persons rights as a living thing. I take that extremely seriously.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:30 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry

Kenji, you and I see the world through very different eyes, (nothing new for me). Maybe it is because I have six trailers, in various states of repair, but people, (yes that includes thieves) are far more valuable then all of them. While I would be disappointed if any of my trailers were stolen, I am sure that there would be someone out there who would be tragically hurt to lose even the worst person you can think of.

Stuff is never worth more than a person, any person.

I hope that you are only expressing an over compensation for other inadequacies in your life.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #28

Name: Joe
Trailer: building
Georgia
if you have a samsung smartphone, you can get a tracking app and tie it into your samsung online account and be able to find out where it is at any given time, as long as it is turned on.

wessonjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #29

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Kenji, you and I see the world through very different eyes...I am sure that there would be someone out there who would be tragically hurt to lose even the worst person you can think of.

Stuff is never worth more than a person, any person.

I hope that you are only expressing an over compensation for other inadequacies in your life.
We will disagree, and that's perfectly fine. Again I point out, I am not talking about killing someone. Losing someone sounds as though you think I am.
If making said person unable to commit the crime again in the future means that person is "lost" then they had no substance in the first place.

If someone commits a virtual crime through the internet, I take away their internet. If someone runs off with a purse, I take away their ability to run.
If they take someone else's life, guess what my vote is for theirs?

You seem to misunderstand me. I'm not saying someone should be hung for stealing a pack of gum. I do however think that a pack of gum is sometimes worth more than a person. That depends on the person.

I am a man of science and logic. I know we are overpopulated, and people are in-fact statistics. Yes, that persons mother might care deeply, but they wouldn't care if I were gone. I see it from both sides.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:01 PM   #30

Alberta
Registry
It must be very empowering to be both judge and jury.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:16 PM   #31

Florida
Registry
It's time to cool it. Obviously we have members who have differing opinions on dealing with thieves. I, personally, would not take matters in my own hands; that's what the police and courts are for. But I perceive the back and forth here is approaching what might be considered snippy. Can we just agree to disagree?

Old 04-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #32

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
It's time to cool it. Obviously we have members who have differing opinions on dealing with thieves. I, personally, would not take matters in my own hands; that's what the police and courts are for. But I perceive the back and forth here is approaching what might be considered snippy. Can we just agree to disagree?

No worries, I already decided not to reply any more. I don't like conflict, and as I said, to me everyone is entitled to their own opinions on matters like this. I'm completely chill. No ill feelings or anything towards anyone here.

Old 04-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Agree that insurance and law enforcement take over when there is a crime. I'm not interested in some kind of vigilante pursuit of my stolen trailer.

But I also believe, as the insured, I have some responsibility to take reasonable precautions to prevent a loss. For me that means a latch padlock and drawbar lock when hitched and a coupler lock when parked unattended. Ours is stored at the back of our driveway on jack stands, with a coupler lock, and when we leave overnight I park our other vehicle so as to block access to the trailer. If it were parked in a long-term storage lot I'd be more inclined to use a wheel boot and/or GPS system. I believe I've read that some insurance companies require regular visits to check on the trailer. That seems to be where the majority of thefts happen.

I haven't lost a minute's sleep over it in any case.

Steve, just curious... what are your other reasons?
Jon , I too take reasonable (In my view) precautions to protect my trailer . I carry full insurance on the trailer , lock my hitch and during storage my trailer is cabled to a cemented in anchor in the ground.
I do not sleep with a pistol under my pillow nor do I keep constant vigil over my trailer. I have much more important things in my life than my trailer and I try to keep that in perspective.
As far as Arizona ,the main reason is its too DAMM hot most of the time . My Uncle and 2 of my Aunts moved to Arizona from Minnesota after retirement . All of them moved back home in less than a 3 year period ,the reason being the hot climate. There are other reasons but this is not the place for that discussion.

Best Wishes
Steve D
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
Donna posted the SPOT one here. 100 bucks a year service I think it was.
Saw an ad for an even cheaper option the other day that is being sold for bikes but can not see why it would not work with a trailer. Its C$40 probable much cheaper for those of you in the US. No monthly fee but you do need is a smart phone to use it.

Its called the TrackR - How track your bike in case of theft using your mobile phone.

Like others I do not spend a great deal of time worrying about such things. If the trailer is stolen that is what my insurance and the police are in place to look after.... as someone else said if its stolen you may not want it back even if found. I know that was for sure the case with a vehicle I once had stolen - it was trashed.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:14 PM   #35
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I use a number of primary locks and deterrents but I also use a GPS tracking system that notifies me if the trailer is moved and will track the position on true GPS. I have to use a storage lot to keep my trailers in, there are monthly fees, etc for the system but for me it is worth the piece of mind
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:15 PM   #36

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
To anyone who thinks that insurance is the answer... I have spent a few hundred hours customizing my Scamp. Where is the insurance to cover that? Of course there is none, I would lose out on that time investment.

And as for police and the courts handling things.. well I was a cop for 30 years and I can say that, at best, they are only minimally effective when you are a victim of theft. Its best to prevent the theft if you can because there is very little that you can do when you are a victim that does not in fact make your life more difficult.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #37

Registry
Attempting to prevent theft is kind like the old story about the tieing his shoes and being told by his friend "you can't out run that bear" the reply I don't have to out run the bear on have to out run you.

It's like anything else that can be stolen, do what you can easily enough to discourage the thief so he moves on to another target. You don't to prevent all thefts just the one.

I don't even worry about locking to door is when we're camping. I take a bit more precaution when at home.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:06 AM   #38

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
" I also use a GPS tracking system that notifies me if the trailer is moved"

what system is that so others can look it up?
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:03 PM   #39

Florida
Registry
I do not know what Ian G is using but google ALR-9. It also notifies you if the vehicle is moved. If it shouldn't be moving, you report it to the police and then call ALR-9. They will coordinate with the police.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #40

Alberta
Registry
This looks like a good option, for $60 cdn.
https://www.amazon.ca/AFUNTA-Vehicle...755284&sr=1-13

or for $45 cdn.
https://www.amazon.ca/WickedHD-GPS-1...X1DVF43GCAXGKD