GPS antitheft tracking device for Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
GPS antitheft tracking device for Trailer

Hi everyone . I wonder if there is a good reasonably priced GPS antitheft tracking device out there that I can buy to hook up to our Trillium Trailer.
Plus where would be a good hiding spot for security in the trailer.
We travel a lot with our trailer in the summer just incase someone takes a liking to our trailer while we tour the area where we camp .

Dave
Old 04-13-2016, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Donna posted the SPOT one here. 100 bucks a year service I think it was.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Before purchasing any tracking service I thing a risk analysis is in order.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Registry
Didn't know about tracking fees. I was thinking it would be like a GPS tracking device that you would sync it to your pc or phone and then you can track the little trailer on the map like on Law and Order tv series such as tracking a cell phone or something like that
Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Might be worth mentioning that this is the time of year to collect for sale advertisements with prices to show the real value of your older FGRV to your insurance agent in the event it does get stolen or in an accident.

Blue book on a 10 or 15 year old FGRV is not going to be close to retail value. Having documentation in the form of for sale advertisements is a good way to show true value. Darn sure I won't like what the insurance company thinks my 39 year old model is worth.

Low Jack don't know if they do campers but can't see why the wouldn't. they have a self powered unit for construction trailers on their web site.

Interesting little blog post on preventing trailer theft. Part one Trailer Theft....It Could Happen to You and part two Trailer Theft Part II
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #6

Registry
The trouble with tracking devices they require a receiver to get their location and then there software to put that location on a web site, then there's the PC or Phone app to display the location. Then you hope if get all that that the police will respond in a timely manner. It ain't simple my friend. All the takes equipment and software that require maintenance.
Television doesn't always reflect real life.
Most of us just don't think it's worth the cost and effort as compared to the value of our trailers and the frequency of theft of trailers.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Name: Kenji
Arizona
Registry
How cheap does it need to be? How accurate does it need to be?
You could get a "mini A8" tracker. This is a basic GSM cellular phone radio tied to a few other sensors and a little lipo battery. This could be tucked away running on the trailers battery. If the thieves disconnected the trailer battery thinking they were smart, it would continue running a few days on the built in one.

This unit is only about $11.00 You will only need a gsm SIM card to pop in it for it to work. For the price, it doesn't have a GPS or A-GPS antenna. Hence why I asked how accurate you need it. What it does do is location based tracking calculated by triangulating the signals of cellular towers. It's cheap, it's effective, and it is still pretty darn accurate.

Another neat feature besides being able to text it to request map locations, is that if you call it, it will silently answer and let you hear through its built in mic. This could also give you vital clues as to who took the trailer. It will work perfectly with a pre-paid sim card. This means the yearly operating costs are nearly zero.

Here is an example link to one, but look around.
GPS Tracker Global Realtime 4BANDS Sim GSM GPRS Security Tracking Device Mini A8 | eBay

Now there are ones that are more like $40 or so if you really need hardcore GPS tracking down to a few meters of accuracy. Same deal, pre paid sim will work.
KenjiFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:07 PM   #8

Registry
Just curious about the GPS stuff .
I do have insurance on my trailer though up to 7K or replacement value and 1500 for personal items etc etc and 300 deductible for the 1977 Trillium 4500 . 100 dollars a year for that package .

That GPS gadget seems like a cool thing . Do they use it in Canada ?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:28 PM   #9

Arizona
Registry
That little "GPS" uses a standard GSM phone platform, so it will work literally anywhere in the world with GSM coverage. Which, is basically everywhere. Just grab a pre-paid or other inexpensive GSM sim card for Canada and you are off.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:59 PM   #10

Name: David
Michigan
There seems to be evidence that suggests that the Mini A8 is not what it is billed to be.
DaMScampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #11

Michigan
Here is the VERY PROMISING product that is just now hitting the market. It is my plan to install one this spring (as I share with you the very concern that led you to post!)

The product is the "Particle" by Spark. https://www.particle.io/cellular

The particular kit I am looking at is the "Asset Tracker Kit". https://store.particle.io/collections/electron

Cost is $109 w a $2.99 a month few to cover its access w cell towers. Furthermore, you can buy those months al a carte. That is some potentially cheap insurance!

My insurance would easily cover the replacement costs of a new scamp. But I don't want to replace it! I want to keep my Scamp that I have rehabbed!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Storey View Post
Just curious about the GPS stuff .
I do have insurance on my trailer though up to 7K or replacement value and 1500 for personal items etc etc and 300 deductible for the 1977 Trillium 4500 . 100 dollars a year for that package .

That GPS gadget seems like a cool thing . Do they use it in Canada ?
Theft is the less likely thing that will happen to your trailer. Will the GPS thing pay for a wreck? Will the GPS thing go to bat for you when somebody hits and breaks your trailer? I thought not.
I say this because I have insurance, and was hit in a parking lot. Damage done between $2000 and $4000. That's about what the two quotes were. My insurance company went after the other guy's insurance company. After a couple of months his insurance company conceded the liability.

Now for the risk, the biggest risk is when the trailer is parked at your residence. It's not theft of the trailer as much as the damage and theft of stuff inside. GPS thing won't help there.
When in a campground a thief is going to go after that million dollar class A next to you.
But if a person is paranoid enough it might be worth the cost.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #13

Arizona
Registry
Yeah I pointed out that it is NOT a GPS. Check out bigClive on youtube for a complete teardown of the mini A8. There's a reason it's only $10.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #14

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I always figured that once my trailer was stolen ,it became law enforcement's and my insurance company's problem . If I pay for a GPS tracking system the only one saving money is my insurance carrier . I've seen stolen vehicles after they have been recovered by the police and in many cases there not worth saving.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:50 PM   #15

Arizona
Registry
I have GPS and other sensors in my trailer not so that the police can find it.
The police can find the bodies.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #16

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenjiFox View Post
I have GPS and other sensors in my trailer not so that the police can find it.
The police can find the bodies.
What does that mean .? Are you storing dead bodies in your trailer or are you implying that your trailer is more valuable than a human life. In either case it scares the H_ LL out of me. One more reason for me to stay out of Arizona.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #17

Michigan
Byron, your point is well taken concerning how proper insurance is invaluable. I fully agree.

In my case though, I am still nervous about theft. And further, in the event of theft I'm not interested in a replacement. I want MY Scamp back!

To each his own....

Yet for those interested in GPS tracking, the product I named above looks very interesting.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree that insurance and law enforcement take over when there is a crime. I'm not interested in some kind of vigilante pursuit of my stolen trailer.

But I also believe, as the insured, I have some responsibility to take reasonable precautions to prevent a loss. For me that means a latch padlock and drawbar lock when hitched and a coupler lock when parked unattended. Ours is stored at the back of our driveway on jack stands, with a coupler lock, and when we leave overnight I park our other vehicle so as to block access to the trailer. If it were parked in a long-term storage lot I'd be more inclined to use a wheel boot and/or GPS system. I believe I've read that some insurance companies require regular visits to check on the trailer. That seems to be where the majority of thefts happen.

I haven't lost a minute's sleep over it in any case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
...One more reason for me to stay out of Arizona.
Steve, just curious... what are your other reasons?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
You are better off to try to prevent the theft. Make your rig less attractive to thieves with locking devices.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Good Sam Insurance is one solution.
The wheel and hitch lock another solution.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote