GPS Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2006, 04:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Have been thinking about purchasing a GPS so I played with one at the Pawn Shop that I work at the other day and it would not take the 9 digit Zip code.

It would only take the 5 digit then I had to enter the physical address from there. Seamed to be too much of a hassle for me. Does anyone know of a brand that will take the 9 digit Zip and take me there?

When U go to MapQuest on the Internet, it takes the 9 digit and knows where that is.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Hunter Compact II
You shouldn't need the 9 digit zip code. The only reason the zip code is entered is for the gps to find the current satelites available at that location. It does not require a more specific zip code location. Once it finds and locks on a satelite it can then find the others and compute your location when it has locked on to multiple satelites.
Mike
Mike Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:48 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Have been thinking about purchasing a GPS so I played with one at the Pawn Shop that I work at the other day and it would not take the 9 digit Zip code.

It would only take the 5 digit then I had to enter the physical address from there. Seamed to be too much of a hassle for me. Does anyone know of a brand that will take the 9 digit Zip and take me there?

When U go to MapQuest on the Internet, it takes the 9 digit and knows where that is.
I think the answer resides in the amount of programming and memory required to have a database with both the street address and the 9 digit zip code for each address. The database that holds the street address and zip codes resides in the gps. It's remarkable that they can get that much information down into the 1 gigabyte range. Also most people don't bother with and/or know the last for digits of the address they're trying to find. So there is no competitive advantage or disadvantage of having that ability.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:12 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Yes, but don't believe what MapQuest tells you about 9-digit zip codes.

When I entered my own 9-digit zip, MapQuest missed it by two blocks.

When using any map database, either Internet or GPS, use extreme caution and double check each location.

I make it a habit to use aerial photos (available on the internet) to look at the locations that Microsoft Streets and Trips gives me to make sure that there is something I recognize at the location I have selected.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
mapquest has my home off by 2 blocks also. I notified the 911 people and the post office and there is nothing that can be done to correct the situation.

My concern at the time was that we had a 93 year old mother with us and the EMS and Fire people use a computer in their vehicle to locate the address and I was concerned that if we needed them in a hurry, they might go to the wrong place.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
If you're thinking GPS and you have a laptop computer, the best way to go "Microsoft Streets and Trips, with GPS."
I've used this setup for over two years and it is ideal for traveling. You can enter a City, or street address and it will plot a route in seconds. Also, with your laptop, you have a screen large enough and with enough detail to actualy be able to see it. it will tell you exactly where you are at all times and give you speed, heading and even altitude. I took mine on a trip to China last year, (by airline, not Trillium), and it tracked us all the way.
Check it out at: http://www.microsoft.com/streets/default.mspx
Al
Alan L. Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I know I am repeating myself, but double check the locations that you select with MS Streets and Trips. It will prevent you from trying to drive into a cornfield (Winngray Family Campground, NC) and appearing to be an idiot when you ask someone on the north side of I80, "Where in Jones RV Park?" when in reality it is on the south of the interstate.

Other examples available on request.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
I used the maps streets and trips for a while but found the screen on the la[top was too light to read in the daylight. We bought an AVMap Gps that is powered by a 2Gig card and it works well and also has a 3.5" X 4.5" screen. its made in Italy and sold out of Massachusetts on ebay. I've never tried the zip code findings so not sure of its capabilities.It was the best buy on the market last spring at about $400.00
Old 12-24-2006, 02:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Streets & Trips on a laptop is pretty good,
And the program does allow to invert the colors of the screen so it is dark background for night driving.

All street map software and data is from one of just a very few sources.
All of the street map data sources interpolate an address between nodes (street intersections). If one street corner is the 100 block and the next corner is the 200 block, then street address 150 is assumed to be half way. This doesn't account for the apartment complex on the corner using up 90% of the address numbers. You absolutely can't get precise address locations unless you use a parcel-based GIS mapping system.

Writing to Microsoft to tell them the problem will not help because they didn't make the maps. They rent the data from NavTeq and put their name on it.
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 03:41 PM   #10

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We use our lap top for finding our way around cities we visit but just our gps to find a quick route. We have the Garmin map 60c and a 60cxs. They ahve screens big enough to show maps downloaded from our mapsource laptop that show us where gas stations, motels, and stores are as well as addresses. On our garmin we are able to even add a street address and it will map our route to it. It is so nice to have these maps when towing so we don't end up having to back track or get stuck somewhere, that we have problems getting out. Mapsource and a gps have worked well for us and all of our family for years. When we know we will be driving city streets like in Sacramento, we connect our gps to the laptop to provide a bigger map that we can see better.
Linda R002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Please note that Linda of Linda and Dale said we. One drives and one navigates. I use a small gps with maps, but like Linda and Dale at time use a lop. We use Delorme Topo which has the ability for split screen. Which means you can two levels of detail at once. I drive, Anne navigates. Actually she usually turns the laptop so I can't see the screen. I don't know why but it seems easier to get fixated on the moving dots on the larger screen than the smaller hand held gps screen.

Keep safe. We all want you to be around for a long time.