graffiti removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #1

Name: viviene
Trailer: titanium
British Columbia
graffiti removal

our 5th wheel trailer, parked in a storage lot, got graffitied...we are having a problem removing the paint from the decal, our trailer is a fibreglass body with a large multi color decal on the side. we tried removing it with paint remover but it also removed a portion of the decal so we stopped and thought we would inquire to knowable people...can anyone suggest anything??
viviener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Most solvents that would remove the graffiti will also dissolve the glue on your decals. I have had good success with a product called Brake Cleaner. It is an aerosol solvent used to clean car brake components. Try to avoid letting it soak behind the decals but it may work by moistening a cloth with it and wiping

Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Might ask for a quote from a local auto body shop. I bet they know some tricks of the trade.
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's like Rock, Scissors, Paper..... Spray paint is usually stronger than decals. Short of it being very cheesy, or very fresh, spray paint, other than by very careful buffing, any chemcals that will remove oil based paint will also remove decals. Now, if it happens to be a laxtex based paint, ammonia in soap and water may remove it.

BTW: The storage facility doesn't have vandalism insurance for it's customers?

Good Luck

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #5

Name: viviene
Trailer: titanium
British Columbia
Thanks so much for the replies...My husband said that we have the brake clean, so we will try that..it can't make it any worse than what it is now...

The storage lot does have insurance but it does not cover what' s in their enclosure only their own property..we do carry "storage" insurance but our deductible is a little high so we are trying to do it ourselves. At least we were lucky and ours was not set fire to like three others that they cut the fence to get into the lot do the damage.
viviener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I use brake clean all the time. It will affect some paint and plastics. Spray on a rag and try a small area. I used it on our fiberglass trailer to remove old tape residue and contact cement with no damage to the fiberglass. Maybe try that Goof-off stuff. Many of us fiberglass trailer owners are using Barkeepers Friend for cleaning the exterior. I used it in the liquid form, it worked good, it's a mild abrasive, try that too, for final cleaning.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
I've used WD-40 to remove graffiti from many surfaces. You might try spraying some on a rag and wiping the spray painted areas. If it doesn't sit on the vinyl decals, it probably won't hurt them.
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Try some road tar remover. or BBQ lighter fluid. most of these solvents are pretty begin. You dont want to soak them. I would also try the mr Clean white scrubbie. I have used Mothers Clay bar showshine kit to remove overspray paint. Alot depends on the decal whether its solid color or a printed graphic.
If you get it off please come back and let everyone know what worked and what didn't. I'm sure you arn't the first or the last with this problem.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:52 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A lot of the success and results will depend on what paint was used and how long it was on before being removed.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, and the "fiberglass" on a flat paneled trailer versus an all molded towable, is different.

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote